Should I eat more?

Options
I'm on a ketogenic diet and have been for 10 months. I've lost around 70 pounds and I'm 5'9 and 148-152 pounds. I lift heavy 6 days a week for 100-110 min on 1200-1300 calories. I cut them about 2 months ago in order to possibly lose more weight and nothing really changed. Should I be eating more? Could I gain weight?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Absolutely you should be eating more! What is your goal weight? You are already at a healthy weight for your height. Why do you want to lose more? What does it say your calories should be when you plug in the numbers to MFP? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • gracehalsted
    gracehalsted Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Absolutely you should be eating more! What is your goal weight? You are already at a healthy weight for your height. Why do you want to lose more? What does it say your calories should be when you plug in the numbers to MFP? Are you eating back exercise calories?
    Says I should be eating 1,450 to be losing 2 pounds a week. I don't know I'd like to be 145 pounds maybe lower I'm not sure. I'm also not eating back exercising calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, eating more calories is not what you should do. How are you measuring your intake?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    That close to your goal weight, you shouldn't be trying to lose 2 lbs per week. .5 per week at most. You are only talking 3 to 7 lbs here. It's not going to come off fast by being that overly aggressive.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Didn't you start this same thread yesterday?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you aren't losing weight, eating more calories is not what you should do. How are you measuring your intake?

But she's eating 1200-1300 and already at a healthy weight.

@gracehalsted
    I'm 5'7"/5'8" and 142. I am an older, retired woman. I maintain on 2000ish. When I want to lose, I lose at 1500-1600. I hope you're eating more on those exercise/lifting days. You must be exhausted. How are you feeling? Are you logging food and accurately measuring your intake?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ....I'm 5'9 and 148-152 pounds. I lift heavy 6 days a week for 100-110 min on 1200-1300 calories.....Could I gain weight?

There is zero chance you can gain weight on 1200 calories, at your current size and activity level. If you are gaining weight, you'll have to look at your calorie counting. If you're ok opening your diary, there's lots of experience here that can help.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Agreed. Something seems off. The OP's logging may be inaccurate if you're not losing weight at the calorie level you mentioned. Weight lifting doesn't burn a ton of calories so I wouldn't worry too much about the exercise calories, but for the OP's height staying the same weight should mean she's eating at maintenance level. I'd take a good long look at what is being eaten to find the mistake. Condiments? Alcohol? Oils? Cooking Sprays? Sodium levels (water weight)?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    But she's eating 1200-1300...

Very unlikely. If she were eating 1200 calories at 150 pounds, she would be losing weight, guaranteed.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

But she's eating 1200-1300 and already at a healthy weight.

@gracehalsted
    I'm 5'7"/5'8" and 142. I am an older, retired woman. I maintain on 2000ish. When I want to lose, I lose at 1500-1600. I hope you're eating more on those exercise/lifting days. You must be exhausted. How are you feeling? Are you logging food and accurately measuring your intake?

She hadn't said at the time how much more she wanted to lose. Yes, recomp is a better option at this point, but it still needs accurate logging.