Where should I go from here? Lifting program plus other exercises

Options
So I've been consistently going to the gym for over a year now. In that time I went from being someone going to the gym just to get a break from the kids, to not completely hating it to actually enjoying exercise. I graduated from just cardio and circuit machines to doing boot camp style classes, body pump, jogging and tinkering in the free weights.

I go to the gym about 4-5 days a week and on my off days I still try to be active by walking or hiking. I'd really like to come up with a more structure plan for my days in the gym that aren't boot camp days (2x a week). Currently I like and am comfortable doing upright rows, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs and extensions on the cable machine and in the free weights I often do bench press, overhead press, deadlift, bend over rows, bicep curls and with TRX I do squats and some upper body stuff. I guess what I'm saying is I enjoy working with weights and I have made some progress on how heavy I can lift but there's no real rhyme or reason to how or when I do things so I'm sure I would have better progress if I were following a more structured routine. But I enjoy a variety of exercises so I don't want it to be so structured that it gets in the way of doing boot camp classes or hiking or jogging. I've lost about 33lbs since January and even though the last few months have been super slow I can tell my body is changing even with my cobbled together routine. My deficit is pretty small these days, I'm lucky if I'm losing a couple of lbs a month but I am ok with slow weight loss as long as I continue to get fitter. That is my main goal, continued improved fitness.

I am thinking of checking out the New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves from the library but I am open to other suggestions. I don't think I'm going to get into power lifting but I do enjoy feeling stronger and I appreciate being able to translate that into every day things like hiking with my 30lb toddler on my back.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Definitely find an established program.
    Both that you mentioned are good, and there are many women on MFP who have/are currently following one or the other. (Great if you have questions, etc.)
    As for what to do on the rest days, walking or hiking is great. You don't want to be doing so much every day that it effects your recovery when it comes to lifting.
  • fit_knitter
    fit_knitter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely find an established program.
    Both that you mentioned are good, and there are many women on MFP who have/are currently following one or the other. (Great if you have questions, etc.)
    As for what to do on the rest days, walking or hiking is great. You don't want to be doing so much every day that it effects your recovery when it comes to lifting.

I looked at my local library and they have the NROF for Women but not Strong Curves so I guess I'll check it out first and see if I like it.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    let me say this......welcome to the world of lifting and feeling strong and confident, if it's done right it can be one of the most addictive things. Here I'm at 50 and I feel like I'm 30. it's worth mentioning I'm in much better shape then most of my friends.
    A program is great and track your workouts, you'll want to mark the day you deadlift X amount or Squat. I'll never forget the first program I stated...... the book is long out of print but I still use some of the things I learned in the program.

Good luck to you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I liked strong lifts 5x5.

for a few reasons...simple, easy to learn, 3x a week, no book to read really, there's an app for it and a group here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

• fit_knitter
    fit_knitter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

for a few reasons...simple, easy to learn, 3x a week, no book to read really, there's an app for it and a group here.

I've heard a lot of people recommend strong lifts but I like doing a variety of lifts. It gives me more options depending on how much equipment is in use at the gym. I am also not quite to the point of using the Olympic barbell for a lot of stuff (namely anything that has to go over my head).
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My favorites are New Rules Of Lifting..not for women although I am one lol. And The Lean Muscle Diet also by Lou Schuler. Great workouts in both and lots of options to choose from. Used on Amazon cheap! You can do a killer workout in 35 minutes and make amazing strength gains. When I started I couldn't do one push up, now 50 are no problem. I'm 59 years old, groan, and stronger than I've even been.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I've heard a lot of people recommend strong lifts but I like doing a variety of lifts. It gives me more options depending on how much equipment is in use at the gym. I am also not quite to the point of using the Olympic barbell for a lot of stuff (namely anything that has to go over my head).

that is true as for the bar it can easily be modified with dumbbells or standard bar (I lift at home with a standard bar).

The nice thing with SL is that they are all compound lifts...only need a few pieces of equipment (often plentiful at gyms as they are most commonly used) and it is not complicated.

but your choice and I have heard some good things about NROLFW...
  • ChelaRocks
    ChelaRocks Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I started with NROL for women a few years ago and when I burned out of that started on Thinner Leaner Stronger - Simple science of Building the Ultimate female body. (Michael Matthews). He advocates heavier weights less reps. Both are good. I think with any routine you get a bit bored after a while and some things just don't work for all people (I have a torn ACL to deal with). I also recommend using a workout app like Jefit in which you can enter your routines and keep track of weights as well as look at proper form while at the gym. Also, Jefit has routines in there which you can just download to your phone if you want to focus on any particular program or body area.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

that is true as for the bar it can easily be modified with dumbbells or standard bar (I lift at home with a standard bar).

The nice thing with SL is that they are all compound lifts...only need a few pieces of equipment (often plentiful at gyms as they are most commonly used) and it is not complicated.

but your choice and I have heard some good things about NROLFW...

Like any program SL has pros and cons, though I think it's a great starting point for someone still getting comfortable with lifting. They also have some really informative posts on their website regarding proper lifting form for the lifts involved in the program. I've found that set/rep range for all lifts doesn't quite get me where I want to be regarding adding upper body size and making sure I don't gain too much size in my legs. I do highly recommend compound lifts over isolation moves, especially if you're just pursuing general fitness and not targeting muscle/strength development of a single area. The app does make things simple to follow, even moreover since you already seem used to going to gym regularly. I also know it can be intimidating at first but don't be afraid of the bar. I'm sure someone on staff at the gym would be able to help build you up to using it effectively. I'd be remiss if I didn't echo the sentiments of the other post saying lifting is addicting; I'm noticeably happier on my lifting days and have to force myself to do anything that doesn't involve a bar anymore.

Good Luck!