Any shiratake noodles recipes?

Options
MarinaDiane
MarinaDiane Posts: 6 Member
I recently got 3 packs of these(they where on sale) but Imm not sure how to cook them. I'm thinking of putting them in a spicy broth but I'm interested in hearing how you guys cook them.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Make sure to rinse them very well multiple times. I rinse mine for like five minutes straight. Then I "dry roast" them to get the rest of the brine out and improve the texture. Then use them like any other noodle but they don't "hold" sauce very well. I usually stir fry mine up with a can of chop suey veggies and a can of chicken with a little brown sauce. Or I make peanut sauce out of soy sauce and pb2 and serve room temperature. They aren't bad with pesto either.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    1. Put them in a bowl.
    2. Throw it out the window.
    3. Step 1 is optional.

Those noodles no matter what I did had a funky smell and an even funkier texture. Nope nope nope. :sick:
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

OP.
    Use them in any recipe that calls for rice noodles. Any of the Asian dishes. Dont even try to use these as a pasta sub in any Italian dishes. Pasta sauce does not stick to them at all.

I did all the dry fry, rinse etc etc.
    They are great if you like chewing rubber bands. :) Wanted to like them but just couldn't.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    1. Put them in a bowl.
    2. Throw it out the window.
    3. Step 1 is optional.

Those noodles no matter what I did had a funky smell and an even funkier texture. Nope nope nope. :sick:

Maybe just maybe learn to cook? This will solve most of your problems with food.

OP.
    Use them in any recipe that calls for rice noodles. Any of the Asian dishes. Dont even try to use these as a pasta sub in any Italian dishes. Pasta sauce does not stick to them at all.

I did all the dry fry, rinse etc etc.
    They are great if you like chewing rubber bands. :) Wanted to like them but just couldn't.

They take a little creativity and a little bit of acceptance. I don't really like mashed cauliflour more than mashed potatos, but sometimes I make the sacrifice for calorie goals. When you're restricting calories and a pound of shirataki noodles is only 30 calories they start to taste real good to me. Especially when prepared well.

I've also found there is a great variance in texture between brands. The nasoya pasta zero has oat flour in it so it has slightly more texture (just not much).

Like crazyravr said they do well in asian style dishes, mostly because sauce does not stick to them. As long as you approach them as a belly filler and not the main course, I think they're pretty good if not expensive. Otherwise just eat smaller quantities of normal pasta or protein pasta. Every tool has its own purpose, and every food is a "diet" food when portioned out.
  • canadianlisa
    canadianlisa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently got 3 packs of these(they where on sale) but Imm not sure how to cook them. I'm thinking of putting them in a spicy broth but I'm interested in hearing how you guys cook them.

I have made them, you 1st must rinse them in cold water to get the smell out of them. Then after you made a stir fry throw in the noodles. They take on the flavour of the spices. They only need to be heated up.
    Or you can have them with pasta sauce or whatever you like noodles with.
    I hope this helps. Enjoy.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    This is an Amazon reviewer's method; it works: rinse the noodles in a strainer, put them on a plate, microwave for a minute, repeat two more times. Then cook in a pan until dried out. Then add whatever sauce/meat/veggies you want. It's labor intensive, but the noodles soak up what it's cooked with and no fishy issues.

They are chewy, but I find it's a small price to pay for a nearly 0 calorie substitute for pasta.
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i used them for a no carb low cal pizza crust- actually worked pretty well (helped feed my cheese craving without completely screwing up my calories!) , but as it's been said RINSE RINSE RINSE ! rinse them until you think you've rinsed it enough and then add another minute. i found the recipe on mfp actually link here
    http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2014/10/15/low-carb-pizza-crust/

i left out the salt and added a little more black pepper and did my own toppings but to follow the crust recipe it is actually pretty good
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use them in pasta salads. In addition to rinsing, I cut them up into small pieces--which I find helps with what some people view as their rubber-bandy texture.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    in addition to rinsing, I do a short boil in fresh salted water then dry fry with minced garlic . My problem is the texture I have the ones with oat flour and carrot but they still have a texture that I do not enjoy ( but I bought a load of them on sale , so I needed to find ways to use them !) I find if I chop them into about 1/2 to 1" long pieces ( quick with an herb cleaver ) then I toss them with a mix of similarly shaped vegetables , usually lightly braised in chicken or vegetable stock ginger and garlic until limp but still having some texture last mix was bean sprouts ,bag of angel hair slaw mix , onion,snow peas ,red bell pepper and chopped green onion tops for color. last week it was french cut green beans ,bean sprouts ,onions and carrot . this is a camouflage tactic I do not even notice but a cup or 2 of this super healthy low cal mix added to the protein for the meal makes me satisfied and I have not had to eat any food I did not enjoy. it is my go to keep around food for if I feel like I just need something . but want to save calories for later for say a cheese burger with hubby ! if I were to buy more I will try to get the rice shape I bought one and added it to soup and you do not even notice it and no chopping involved but it really only takes a few moments to chop them so they blend nicely with other ingredients