Jogging & sore ankles?

Options
Hi all,

Today I completed week 2, day 1 of C25K. I've noticed that my ankles can be a little bit stiff and sore the next day after doing it (I've never jogged before and invested in a good pair of Nike jogging runners). This evening I was rubbing them and my ankle bones were quite sore to touch - they felt like they'd been badly bruised (they hadn't).

Is this normal? Should I just keep going? I take my break days as it suggests and only use an elliptical machine when doing cardio in the gym. I jog on concrete, which I know isn't ideal but I don't really have a choice.

Thanks!

Replies

• Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if its normal,but I know the same happened to me when I was doing c25k. I did find that proper stretching helped and I no longer get any pain as I got more used to it.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    How long have you had your shoes?

http://www.runningfit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=85

I've found that the $60 range don't last nearly as long as the $90-$100 range.

Just a possible solution...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You may have the wrong shoes. Everyone's gait is different. Your feet may over or under pronate. If you under pronate and have shoes for an over pronator, then this would put some really undue stress on your feet and ankles. Best find out before you just cause yourself more pain and injury. Go to a good running store.
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    I recently started running, the first day I was fine. The second day I got the ankle soreness like you have, but I also got shin splints. I'm thinking that it may be similar to shin splints. Just a hypothesis.
  • sdgrindin
    sdgrindin Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all,

Today I completed week 2, day 1 of C25K. I've noticed that my ankles can be a little bit stiff and sore the next day after doing it (I've never jogged before and invested in a good pair of Nike jogging runners). This evening I was rubbing them and my ankle bones were quite sore to touch - they felt like they'd been badly bruised (they hadn't).

Is this normal? Should I just keep going? I take my break days as it suggests and only use an elliptical machine when doing cardio in the gym. I jog on concrete, which I know isn't ideal but I don't really have a choice.

Thanks!

I've been there. Normally if I start feeling pain in my ankles while jogging, I stop jogging immediately and take a few days off to recover. 2-3 days later the pain is gone. Take as much time off from jogging as it takes to recover from the pain.

In the meantime, you can still hit the weights or just walk for 30 mins - 1 hour.
  • IroncladBRX
    IroncladBRX Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Even Couch to 5K programs can be too aggressive at times. I've run into the same thing before with sore feet, knees, ankles etc.
    I have 4 major suggestions for you that will help you to move past this.
    1- make sure that you are running with proper technique. I recommend the Evolution Running DVD, it really helped me.
    2- back off on the rate that you are building up and adding run time vs walk time. What's the hurry? If it takes you 20 weeks or whatever vs 12-13 weeks or whatever, so what? You at least got there and you can make sure that you're not hurting yourself along the way.
    3- Get fitted for your running shoes at a REAL running specialty store (not Footlocker or some chain) Get good shoes that fit the way you need them to.
    4- keep stretching and massaging your feet and ankles, it will really help with the recovery.

Personally I've been working on a program that it about 2x as slow at building up the amount of running than in your typical C25K program. But now I'm up to running/walking about 4.5 miles in 40 minutes, the running plus other strength workouts plus watching what I'm eating on this website have helped me drop 11lbs so far.

Moderation+Frequency+Consistency those are your keys.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

I only have the runners for about 2 months but I bought them without asking the store assistants for any help. I notice the heels on my day shoes always seem to wear down a LOT more on the outside so I'm obviously walking weirdly!!
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Off to the running store with you to be fitted. I had the same problem. shoes made all the difference.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K (will do W3D2 tomorrow) & noticed the same thing. My new gym membership allowed me to meet with a personal trainer once, & she told me to 'write' out the alphabet in the air with my foot to strengthen my ankles. It hurts, but they are becoming considerably less sore so there must be something to it