Training Bike was stolen. Need recommendations on a new one.

Options
So my hybrid bike that was set up as a road bike / triathlon bike was stolen this weekend. I've been wanting to get a new bike for a while now.

I'm looking for a sub-$1000 road bike. Anyone have recommendations?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

Are you willing to go used? You'll probably get more baby for your buck that way. Hell, you might even find your bike that way. :disappointed:
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

Are you willing to go used? You'll probably get more baby for your buck that way. Hell, you might even find your bike that way. :disappointed:

I have look through Craigslist for my bike, and have looked used. I think I'm more interested in getting a new bike so that I can set it up exactly how I want.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have to confess to a fondness for Giant bikes, they seem to offer the best value for a given price point (they're also the biggest frame maker in the world and make most of the frames used by Trek and some other manufacturers). Brand new in the $1,000 range you'd probably be looking at an aluminum frame with a Tiagra groupset which would be a very serviceable bike.

Your best bet, however is to head out to your local bike shop and test drive a few different bikes. I ride a Giant Defy (older model) and find it insanely comfortable and nimble but you may find that their frame geometry doesn't suit you as well.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    I have to confess to a fondness for Giant bikes, they seem to offer the best value for a given price point (they're also the biggest frame maker in the world and make most of the frames used by Trek and some other manufacturers). Brand new in the $1,000 range you'd probably be looking at an aluminum frame with a Tiagra groupset which would be a very serviceable bike.

Your best bet, however is to head out to your local bike shop and test drive a few different bikes. I ride a Giant Defy (older model) and find it insanely comfortable and nimble but you may find that their frame geometry doesn't suit you as well.

Thanks for the input. I've looked online at bikes, but I really would rather buy at a local shop so that I can have it set up correctly for me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Definitely more bang for the buck if you go used. When you say you want new so you can get it exactly how you want, what do you mean by that?

If insisting on new, start with the the big 4 - Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized. Given your price point, I'd probably start with cannondale... their alu is hard to beat. Though, I might be biased, so...
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    See if you have a Raleigh dealer nearby. They have almost no marketing costs, so they are a little cheaper.

Otherwise, go to your LBS and try out some bikes. Something like a Specialized Allez in right in that price range if it fits you.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Definitely more bang for the buck if you go used. When you say you want new so you can get it exactly how you want, what do you mean by that?

If insisting on new, start with the the big 4 - Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized. Given your price point, I'd probably start with cannondale... their alu is hard to beat. Though, I might be biased, so...

I was thinking new as I'd like to get a bike with the mostly up to date components (integrated brake shifters, etc) rather than replacing any. I'm also not exactly sure what size bike I'd need to get.

What about Fuji bikes?