Working out with a knee injury...

Options
md1314
md1314 Posts: 15 Member
Hi All,

I am struggling right now with my exercise routine due to three knee surgeries, most recent was this past winter. (All three were for ruptured quad tendon, first and third also included ACL repair).
The good thing about my surgeries is that it taught me how to really decrease calorie intake when I am not active, but now that I am (somewhat) capable of working out, I need more ideas for workouts.

Does anyone have any good workout or pain management tips for those who want to workout but have a bad knee?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    why do you keep injuring your knee? Slow down and stop hurting yourself. find easier workouts, and give your knee time to heal , i was about 9 months post op before i was released to *slowly* start lifting weights. its taken me almost 2 years of slow progression to get my quad mostly rebuilt, and to a level of fitness that is near my pre injury. I gave up all impact activities, like running and jumping, and all my fitness only comes from weight lifting.
  • md1314
    edited July 2017
    Options
    idk how to delete on here lmao ignore this
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You can also try cycling. Maybe there is a spin class nearby that you could try. I know many people that have knee issues and their choice of cardio is Spin or Cycling. Also, weight lifting is a good way to strengthen.
  • md1314
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    why do you keep injuring your knee? Slow down and stop hurting yourself. find easier workouts, and give your knee time to heal , i was about 9 months post op before i was released to *slowly* start lifting weights. its taken me almost 2 years of slow progression to get my quad mostly rebuilt, and to a level of fitness that is near my pre injury. I gave up all impact activities, like running and jumping, and all my fitness only comes from weight lifting.

Well the first time, I was cleared before I was ready. The second time, someone actually fell on my leg and reinjured it. I've had some bad luck. But thank you for your response! I started getting into plyo work and have been in pain a lot lately so I need to stay the strengthening route. I am just someone who misses hard physical activity so bad but you're right! Two years makes sense. I need to prioritize my health over other stuff. Thank you so much for your perspective
  • md1314
    Options
    You can also try cycling. Maybe there is a spin class nearby that you could try. I know many people that have knee issues and their choice of cardio is Spin or Cycling. Also, weight lifting is a good way to strengthen.

Yeah, I actually cant do spinning because my issue is mainly my quad. I still have a lot of damage there and little strength so cycling actually is bad for me :(
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    mjdileno wrote: »

Well the first time, I was cleared before I was ready. The second time, someone actually fell on my leg and reinjured it. I've had some bad luck. But thank you for your response! I started getting into plyo work and have been in pain a lot lately so I need to stay the strengthening route. I am just someone who misses hard physical activity so bad but you're right! Two years makes sense. I need to prioritize my health over other stuff. Thank you so much for your perspective

Plyo is a killer if you aren't structurally sound. you may be done with impact sports forever. You could look into knee sleeves, i have a tight pair i wear when i lift on leg day, The compression feels so good and they really help a lot.
  • md1314
    Options

Plyo is a killer if you aren't structurally sound. you may be done with impact sports forever. You could look into knee sleeves, i have a tight pair i wear when i lift on leg day, The compression feels so good and they really help a lot.

Awesome thank you! Also, did you have quad surgery as well? If so, did your atrophy ever get better? I have an awful indent at the top of my kneecap and lots of atrophy all along my quad.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

Awesome thank you! Also, did you have quad surgery as well? If so, did your atrophy ever get better? I have an awful indent at the top of my kneecap and lots of atrophy all along my quad.

i only had acl surgery, and i'm close to 3 years post op and my quad still isn't full size. and i question if its full strength , but thats just life and injuries and we have to make modifications and accept new limitations.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    To the OP, is swimming a possibility? This may be my next option because I don't like to ride at night or early morning. The problem with swimming is my my right shoulder has rotator issues any I will need another stroke than freestyle.

Since this is knee talk and exercise I would like to ask for some advice. I am a runner (25 miles a week)and do light Nautilus machine set at about 100 lbs. every other day. Last Thursday my knee was bothering me a bit but I went out and did 4 1/2 mi. and the weights anyway. Well the next day it was bad enough to skip and over the weekend I couldn't go down steps with my right leg. It got a little better on Monday so I walked 3 mi. and a little pain returned. I skipped The next two days and feel pretty good now to the point I may try a walk again to see if it acts up. The pain is in the back middle of my right knee when stepping down a step below my left foot. Any ideas what could be happening or causing. I am terrified of not being able to run. Thanks in advance
  • aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I heard those weight machines at the gyms are good for when you have an injury because it isolates a specific muscle and you can work around your injury, if your knee is injured I guess just work on upper body?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had ACL surgery about four years ago and last year tore my meniscus.
    I have found with both rehabs that yoga is a great activity. Because my knee has been sore and swollen, and weak, when I have started rehab, it has been hard for me to jump, or even move, without discomfort. Forward lunges? Forget about it.
    But, yoga is isometric exercise if you take a standing pose and hold it for a significant period of time. I don't get the pain that I get when I jump or move. But I get the strengthening. Over time, my leg has gotten stronger and it has really helped.
    Studies have shown the isometric exercise strengthens muscle throughout the range of motion, not just in a limited range, like you might expect.
  • thomasegbert09
    thomasegbert09 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do low impact exercises like elliptical and swimming.
  • jessesmom81
    jessesmom81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had a total knee replacement and my other knee needs to be done so I can't do regular exercise. I found chair exercises on Grow Young Fitness on YouTube. It says it is for seniors (which I am but anyone can do them) They also have regular exercise videos and videos for knee therapy. I really like them. You start out slow and easy and work up to harder. Good luck. Hope this helps
  • lcoatney1966
    lcoatney1966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have bad knees. Osteoarthritis in both knees. I can lower my calorie intake and lose 1-15lbs. After that my body is in starvation mode and can't lose anymore weight. I've been trying for two years now with no prevail.
  • Tiffanyrod4
    Tiffanyrod4 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    To the OP, is swimming a possibility? This may be my next option because I don't like to ride at night or early morning. The problem with swimming is my my right shoulder has rotator issues any I will need another stroke than freestyle.

Since this is knee talk and exercise I would like to ask for some advice. I am a runner (25 miles a week)and do light Nautilus machine set at about 100 lbs. every other day. Last Thursday my knee was bothering me a bit but I went out and did 4 1/2 mi. and the weights anyway. Well the next day it was bad enough to skip and over the weekend I couldn't go down steps with my right leg. It got a little better on Monday so I walked 3 mi. and a little pain returned. I skipped The next two days and feel pretty good now to the point I may try a walk again to see if it acts up. The pain is in the back middle of my right knee when stepping down a step below my left foot. Any ideas what could be happening or causing. I am terrified of not being able to run. Thanks in advance

This may be a small miniscus tear. I had the same pain when I went down the stairs especially. I do recommend you get it looked at ASAP by a doctor. Because the longer you wait the worse it might get if you continue trying to workout.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    At the gym I go to there is a trainer who is also doing "medical recovery" training. Maybe you can find a good trainer who is experienced with this and let them guide you a while? It is your best chance to try out stuff safely and get immediate comments and adaptations.
  • md1314
    Options
    Thanks everyone! this is all super helpful!
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a rowing machine? I use them whenever a workout calls for extended running as running on asphalt kills my knee. Knee sleeves help too.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I too have bad knees. Osteoarthritis in both knees. I can lower my calorie intake and lose 1-15lbs. After that my body is in starvation mode and can't lose anymore weight. I've been trying for two years now with no prevail.

There is no such thing as starvation mode. You can lose weight if you eat less.
  • md1314
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    Do you have access to a rowing machine? I use them whenever a workout calls for extended running as running on asphalt kills my knee. Knee sleeves help too.
    MilesAddie wrote: »

I havent used one at my current gym but thats a great idea! thank you