Bathroom schedule

Options
I'm 5'7, cw: 273 from sw of 363. I eat between 1200-1500 calories/day. I circuit train at the gym 3X / week, walk approx 12-15k steps daily. On the weekends I exercise less and eat a bit more like around 1700-1800 cals. What my question is, why am I only having bowel movements only every 3 days? I try to eat balanced with plenty of salads, fruit and protein. Once in a while I have some ice cream or jube jubes. Could it be I'm not eating enough? Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hows your fat, fibre and water intake? Too low in any of these 3 things could cause bathroom issues.
  • briana_aka_bunny
    briana_aka_bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You may need more fiber or you could try probiotics. I eat 1200 calories and go at least once a day
  • preciouschild1960
    preciouschild1960 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You do a lot as far as working out and walking. The weekend is your problem. I don't do as much exercising but I still don't eat enough. So I would suggest still eating the same food pattern as you do during the week. If you have a step counter that you put in your gym shoes you might not do the same steps that you do during the week but you are waking that can be counted for the weekend.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different normal, but if you are uncomfortable then this is not your normal. If your fats and fiber are good, make sure you are drinking enough water, particularly in the heat- try to make sure you log your water... I would also track when you have a BM in the notes on your MFP diary so you can evaluate what foods were promoting "movements" and what were binding.

For temporary relief, I would try senna tea (smooth move tea). But if things go on for any length of time, it is worth mentioning to your pcp.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How much fiber are you averaging a day? I eat a lot of veg/fruit, whole grains, beans etc, and I'm averaging 30--50+ grams of fiber a day. That translates to things 'moving through' 1-2 times a day >:)
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I eat between 25g and 30g of fiber a day and also only go once every three to four days. But that's my normal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. The decrease could be due to eating less (less in, less out), digestion rate, lower fat intake, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. The decrease could be due to eating less (less in, less out), digestion rate, lower fat intake, etc.

Yeah but once every 3 days?? Yikes AND youch :flushed:
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options

I go approximately every three days. Because that's normal for me it's not a problem. It's when that changes that it becomes uncomfortable! If the OP isn't constipated I would advise not worrying about it.
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2017
    Options

I go approximately every three days. Because that's normal for me it's not a problem. It's when that changes that it becomes uncomfortable! If the OP isn't constipated I would advise not worrying about it.

I can't imagine waiting that long. I feel horrible and bloated if i miss one day, let alone 2-3 days. The thought of all that food sitting inside me fermenting for days on end just is really
    worrying to me.
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats on your weight loss first off!! Take a look at your fiber intake. I have issues in that department so I take fiber daily. I prefer the one you have to drink over the pills, I drink one cup in the morning and 1 in the evening and it works really well for me.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I just started tracking my fiber to see if that will help.
  • eepl1214
    eepl1214 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, plus I'm always bloated. Even eating vegetables (leafy, broccoli, cucumbers) and I can't eat dairy. I'm taking culturelle and it helps with bloating but for BM I have to drink my husband's tea that has senna in it. I can go without it but I'm always constipated. I drink it 2-3x per week. Sometimes I take the tablet otc senna (about 4tabs) and that helps too. I eat plenty of veggies and fruits and I drink 2-3 liters of water everyday. People say that caffeine can make u constipated too, but I can't give up my coffee.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try a fiber suppplement for a few weeks and another time in the day take a good probiotic. I'm not a doc, maybe a call into them might offer some other suggestions. Btw...I have similar stats. Only other thing I can think of is if you do protein drinks. I can only do one a day or I get all stopped up. Just a thought.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I have more calories as a goal (but I don't always manage to eat them).
    I have problems with getting enough fiber & protein according to my macros. On the other hand, I don't want to up my protein as long as I am constantly constipated eating only half of it already. I only have one coffee a day, so I would rule out caffeine.

I tried eating broccoli during the day, oatmeal for breakfast , anything with fiber. But a lot of the fiber stuff has quite some carbohydrates and calories and is still not filling, so getting all my fiber I guess I would end up hungry. Or overeating.

Any tips for more fiber? Or ideas if I can up my protein while still be less constipated any other way?
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I got IBS I take prescribed painkillers for daily (yes its that bad) for last 3 years and I WISH I could go every day lol but that doesn't mean that's "normal". Everyone's different and going every few days doesn't mean anything is "wrong " with OP . Just to offer different perspective, too much fiber clogs me up and eating veg like cauliflower and brocolli just causes me to bloat. For me lots of water,healthy fats ,mint and fennel tea (for bloating),linseed with my oats and switching things up helps get things moving.Switch your food up a bit and see might be a bit of trial and error but as long as you don't feel uncomfortable/bloated/have stomach pains I wouldn't worry too much.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What @jemhh said. Up to 3 days seems to be still within normal. If you feel bloated and uncomfortable you should see your doctor. Otherwise don't worry about it.