How Friendly Are Gym Folks?

Options
It's a stupid question but I haven't been inside a gym in about 15 years and I remember the one I used to go to people kept to themselves and weren't all that firendly.

How's the environment now? I want to join a gym eventually but I don't really have anyone to go with.

Most of the folks I know (family, friends, coworkers) aren't into "working out" or go to specialized gyms where the workouts/classes are for people that can handle the intensity level.

But I want to have a gym buddy that knows what they are doing i.e. power lifters, body builders -- I like strength training more than cardio and I'd think they'd be a good influence.

Anyone have any good experience at finding one at the gym they didn't already know?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is going to be highly variable. Tons of people go and don't want to speak or look at another person.
    Others are social butterflies.
    One of my best friends is a guy I met at the gym almost 20 years ago. But it was small and you saw the same 20 people every day.
  • MaryYoungmark
    MaryYoungmark Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Check out a crossfit gym. Everything is scaled to your ability, the coaches are there helping you every step of the way if needed, it's like a group training session every single day, and the community is amazing, so positive and supportive
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the same gym for 5.5 years...I have a group of gym friends now. It took me 4 years to make friends though!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym. Mine is not a social experience. People go there to lift and that's it. Other gyms have many classes and folks tend to be bit more social. The there is crossfit. They tend to be very social, if a bit competitive.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the same rec centre since 2009 using the gym, pool and taking classes.

I am on nodding acquaintance with a dozen or so in the weight dept, with the odd pointer chat. But, if I go at a non regular time, I can be among complete strangers.

The pool, I chat in the changing room with half a dozen people that either swim regularly at the same time or take aqua fit classes.

Classes, I have, to my surprise, found them extremely friendly and supportive. Surprised because classes were what I dreaded the most when I started as a new to gym 54yo- I thought they would be the most judgmental.

I tend to keep to myself but try not to scowl (RBF) when I am concentrating so I look a little approachable.

I do think, because most are there with a fitness goal; not to socialize, it can take longer to get to know some one.

OP if you think you would do better with a partner see if you can put s notice up.

Cheers, h.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Complete, complete mixed bag. Personally, when I'm gymming, I'm there to work out and not make friends. I prefer to work out along, headphones in and ignoring the world. I'm sure many others do likewise. Others may be more happy to have a chat or even form a friendship.

I think if you're really looking for a buddy, looking on local meetup groups or going to some group classes or group training sessions would be a better plan than just hoping to connect with someone on the gym floor.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Whenever I say hi to someone in the locker room, they seem to take it as an opportunity to review their medical history for me.
    I've quit saying hi.

omg i can't ever talk to anyone in the locker room or even make eye contact with them. the majority of the time they are naked and saying hi would be really awkward lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Complete, complete mixed bag. Personally, when I'm gymming, I'm there to work out and not make friends. I prefer to work out along, headphones in and ignoring the world. I'm sure many others do likewise. Others may be more happy to have a chat or even form a friendship.

I think if you're really looking for a buddy, looking on local meetup groups or going to some group classes or group training sessions would be a better plan than just hoping to connect with someone on the gym floor.

Totally this. I'm just there to take of business. I'm not looking for social interaction. I'm pleasant to others. But, if they are good with ignoring me, I'm good with ignoring them. I have a lot of friends and family, I don't need or want more social interaction.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've not made any new friends at the gym in 6 months. In all fairness though I wear headphones so I'm not particularly receptive to starting conversations. I make more friends in the changing rooms because I'm not wearing headphones and it's more relaxed & casual when getting changed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It varies.....the 6AM gang at my gym was very friendly (you'd see the same people day in day out) but not so much in the evening.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Whenever I say hi to someone in the locker room, they seem to take it as an opportunity to review their medical history for me.
    I've quit saying hi.

omg i can't ever talk to anyone in the locker room or even make eye contact with them. the majority of the time they are naked and saying hi would be really awkward lol.

I don't exactly look them in the eye while naked.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I haven't made actual friends at the gym, probably because I'm not trying to. WHen I first started I was super self conscious and guilty of judging the people on the weight floor with me, which is ridiculous because I was afraid they'd judge me in turn. I fully admit I assumed these were mean people because they looked like the stereotypical "bro", but I've come to find most of them, especially the ones that lift super heavy and compete, are so nice and encouraging and it really changed my whole perspective.

But our interactions are limited to "Hey that was a great set" or something similar. I also avoid eye contact in the locker room. One time someone I knew from elsewhere was in at the same time and trying to talk to me while I was half naked and I was so uncomfortable haha.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6am and I'm not what you would call a morning person... I'm not mean, but definitely not "friendly."
    Also, I love working out, but it's also a job I have a set amount of time to do, so not much socializing for me.