To Log or Not to Log - Questions about Diet Before and After Surgery

I first started loosing weight because I desperately needed hernia repair surgery, but the doctor wouldn't do it until I lost at least 35lbs. I lost 42lbs, and I plan to keep going. I talked to the surgeon today, and my surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. I also found out what I have to do to prepare for surgery, and it's rather peculiar. I've never heard of prep like this. I'm fairly certain it won't be a negative impact on my diet, but I'm curious about logging. I had planned to do my best to log while in the hospital (I'll be there about a week) just so I have a rough idea, but now I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Here's what I have to do. Starting Saturday, I'm to drink 3 Ensure a day. Now, I know that's going to be under calories, and I'm not sure if I can eat anything else or not. I didn't ask, and I plan to call back tomorrow. If I can't, I won't be able to save the logs since it will be too low. If I can, then there's no issue.

As for the day of surgery, I have to drink Gatorade 4 hours before surgery. After that, I don't eat or drink anything for the rest of the day and most of the next. When I do get to eat, I'll be on clear liquids for at least 3 days. That's the part that concerns me. I'm not sure what it will be. (Broth? Jello?). Should I log I drank whatever it is I'm given or just put a note that I'm recovering int he hospital? Again, I don't think it will be a big deal. I'm not even sure what the calories will be though.

Sorry for such a long question. I just don't want to lose sight of my goals while recovering, although I had planned to switch to maintenance while recovering. I just want to be able to get back on track as soon as possible.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    You can log the Ensures, you just can't complete your diary if you log less than 1000 calories. It will still save.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    No need to log anything. Just get better. When you get home, you can get back to logging. Take good care of yourself. Hugs
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Clear fluids are likely to be juice, broth, Jello, tea, and water.

You can log (I agree that everything will save without issue) or just skip those days. It's not going to make a difference in the long term.
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    I had a hysterectomy and 4 days in hospital, three weeks ago. I'd already decided before going in that I was going to put my numbers up to maintenance and at the same time not worry too much about things if I didn't have the energy or inclination to log. I have diabetes, so whilst in the hospital my diet was monitored for me (although I'm not sure the biscuits they brought with afternoon cups of tea were included in that, but it would have been rude to refuse them).
    When I came out, my three 20-something sons were doing all the cooking and I had absolutely no kind of exercise at all. Just starting to get my appetite back when I had a haematoma and huge infection - so back to hospital I went. Another 4 days inside, drips, anti-biotics, painkillers, more surgery. A week back home, the boys are still cooking for me and frowning if I do more than get up and walk around to clear my tracker bar (lol)... appetite starting to come back and I checked my weight this morning for the first time since the hysterectomy - 200g increase. (Obviously, I've benefited from the absence of my womb :D)

TL:DR - don't sweat it, concentrate on healing and getting better.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    You should be able to continue logging if you want, but you might not be able to close your entries.

Do ask your doctor questions ... and then follow exactly what they say.

And don't be surprised if you suddenly gain several pounds right after the surgery. Bodies tend to retain water as part of the healing process. Don't panic if that happens, just do what the Dr says, and let yourself recover. Then ease back into the logging etc.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    I'll log but not stress about it then. :smile: I'm honestly so scared about this surgery, although I know it's needed. After I heal, I'll even be able to exercise without worrying about a hernia popping out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Just focus on getting better and recovering well. Some people gain weight after surgery (water weight) and others lose. You can't predict it and you can't control. Just focus on nutrition and eating reasonably well after surgery.