Healthy Breakfast

Options
elysiamae_x
elysiamae_x Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
oqey9vfj9331.jpg
Today I have officially started my fitness journey. I am currently on holiday in Key West, Florida, but I will not let this stop me. Today, after completing a cardio&abdominal focused workout routine, I had a delcious breakfast that filled me up yet I knew was guilt-free. I will definitely be making the efforts to create this meal at home- it was delicious and I definitely reccomend it to anyone.

If anyone has any foods to reccomend to me I'd really appreciate it. I am a huge snacker and this is what has made me struggle to achieve my goals in the past. What do I eat that is healthy but still tastes amazing and will fill me up for my 3 meals and snacks on the side?!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We can give you a list of recommended daily intake of all known nutrients, and a table with nutritional data of every food known to man - but what you find tasty and filling is something only you know. I think maybe that's why you struggle with "healthy eating" and food guilt? Don't let anybody tell you what to eat and not eat. What others find delicious and filling, is something completely different. I usually have sandwich+milk or porridge+butter, and fresh fruit and raw vegetables for breakfast and lunch, and a combo of meat/fish+starch+veg for dinner, and I usually don't snack (but I will have an occasional treat).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Calories are all that really matter when it comes to weight loss, so don't limit yourself to "healthy" or "clean" foods only - this can lead to cravings and burnouts and binges. Eat whatever you enjoy in moderation - it's the most sustainable habit you can build. Of course, make sure you get proper vitamins, minerals and enough protein.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    That looks really delicious but a healthy breakfast for me is no breakfast... has been for 3 years :#
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Looks good! Any idea on how many calories it was? And I can't tell if the OJ was yours or not, but be aware that juice packs a calorie punch. The only calories I drink now are weekend beers :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if it is exactly healthy or not. Eat what seems right for your plan.
    I do not eat breakfast so I can have more calories later in the day.
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    We can give you a list of recommended daily intake of all known nutrients, and a table with nutritional data of every food known to man - but what you find tasty and filling is something only you know. I think maybe that's why you struggle with "healthy eating" and food guilt? Don't let anybody tell you what to eat and not eat. What others find delicious and filling, is something completely different. I usually have sandwich+milk or porridge+butter, and fresh fruit and raw vegetables for breakfast and lunch, and a combo of meat/fish+starch+veg for dinner, and I usually don't snack (but I will have an occasional treat).

Oh okay, thank you so much! The problem is that I am really into savoury snacks like crisps and such, so I am not too sure how to substitute them or anything? I'm sure I can figure it out somehow. Thank you for replying!!
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Welcome! Calories are all that really matter when it comes to weight loss, so don't limit yourself to "healthy" or "clean" foods only - this can lead to cravings and burnouts and binges. Eat whatever you enjoy in moderation - it's the most sustainable habit you can build. Of course, make sure you get proper vitamins, minerals and enough protein.

Thank you so much!
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    That looks really delicious but a healthy breakfast for me is no breakfast... has been for 3 years :#

what do you mean by this?
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    Looks good! Any idea on how many calories it was? And I can't tell if the OJ was yours or not, but be aware that juice packs a calorie punch. The only calories I drink now are weekend beers :D

All together, my breakfast was 387 calories. Yes the OJ was mine, it was freshly squeezed so i'm not sure if that makes any difference?! But thank you for letting me know- ill keep that in mind
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It does not matter if it is exactly healthy or not. Eat what seems right for your plan.
    I do not eat breakfast so I can have more calories later in the day.

Oh okay, thank you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    mrsnattybulking has not been having a breakfast meal for the past 3 years. She practices "IF", which involves spending most of the hours of the day not eating so that she can do all her eating in a small window of time. Some people do it and like it. Some people don't want to try and either way is ok.

Crisps, what I call salty carby snacks, are the bane of people trying to lose weight. The Frito Lay corporation and their competitors around the world employ the best food scientists in the world to create food items that we crave to constantly eat. Our health be damned, they want to sell us crisps! If you can practice portion control, take only 1 oz or 1/2 oz of these only once a day. Good luck.
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    mrsnattybulking has not been having a breakfast meal for the past 3 years. She practices "IF", which involves spending most of the hours of the day not eating so that she can do all her eating in a small window of time. Some people do it and like it. Some people don't want to try and either way is ok.

Crisps, what I call salty carby snacks, are the bane of people trying to lose weight. The Frito Lay corporation and their competitors around the world employ the best food scientists in the world to create food items that we crave to constantly eat. Our health be damned, they want to sell us crisps! If you can practice portion control, take only 1 oz or 1/2 oz of these only once a day. Good luck.

Thank you so much!! Ill try it out.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I buy anything that has multiple servings in a bag, I immediately portion out the bag into appropriate servings (I say appropriate because the serving size suggested by the manufacturer may not be the correct serving size for you/your goals - I.e. I bag nuts into 1/2 oz servings because a full serving is over 100 calories which doesn't always fit into my "snack" budget), put each serving in its own ziplock bag, then put all the individual serving bags back in the original bag. Then when I want a snack, there's no excuse for me to overeat because I already know how much I am eating - keeps me from grazing. Good luck, OP!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Ditto. Breakfast jacks up my day.
  • elysiamae_x
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Personally, when I buy anything that has multiple servings in a bag, I immediately portion out the bag into appropriate servings (I say appropriate because the serving size suggested by the manufacturer may not be the correct serving size for you/your goals - I.e. I bag nuts into 1/2 oz servings because a full serving is over 100 calories which doesn't always fit into my "snack" budget), put each serving in its own ziplock bag, then put all the individual serving bags back in the original bag. Then when I want a snack, there's no excuse for me to overeat because I already know how much I am eating - keeps me from grazing. Good luck, OP!

Ah this is such a good idea! Thank you. I'm definitely going to try it out!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

All together, my breakfast was 387 calories. Yes the OJ was mine, it was freshly squeezed so i'm not sure if that makes any difference?! But thank you for letting me know- ill keep that in mind

Freshly squeezed or not, juice is pretty calorie dense and lots of people don't find it very filling for the amount of calories it has. If you enjoy it and think it is worth the calories, then there's no reason to eliminate it. But make sure you log it because the calories can add up really fast.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Is this a healthy way of eating? I dont usually eat breakfast but since starting my diet i have been.
    So breakfast isnt really the important?
    Great way to be able to get some more calories in at dinner.. i thought it was naughty.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your life style. I found it difficult to eat a big dinner so most of my calories are actually breakfast n lunch. my dinner is usually under 400. With the exception of weekends where I usually have breakfast/brunch n food around 6 p.m. if I get hungry I eat fruit. I have a bit of low blood pressure so skipping breakfast is not really working for me. My husband has a tendency of shipping breakfast during the week but will eat over 1000 calories for lunch n then a light dinner.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My usual Saturday morning breakfast is an Egg McMuffin and a cup of coffee with 2% milk. It's my perfect pre workout food. I eat it am hour before my 2 hour dance class.