Dieting and Vacations

Options
2»

Replies

• Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lady, so apologies if my input isn't wanted, but I find eating one meal a day on holiday to be the way to maintain my weight.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I didn't log on my most recent vacation because I didn't have internet or cellular data at the resort. We went into town at least once a day but honestly I didn't want to bother logging. I may have gained a bit of fat (scale is up 4.2 lbs) but I would bet most of it is water and a bit of constipation. We will see where things are by this time next week.

My only concession to my healthier lifestyle was bringing my running gear. Ran through downtown Canmore on Saturday for my C25K scheduled workout, but skipped yesterday because I was staying somewhere else at that point and didn't want to run into a bear. Back on exercise plan today.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I take diet breaks on holidays where I don't log and do eat whatever I want.

I am also a whole lot more active than usual on holidays. I usually try to include a couple "events" in my holiday. Most recently, we were on holiday for a month, and during that time I included two decent hikes and two long distance cycling events. Plus some training for all of that on the days in between. :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I didn't log on my most recent vacation because I didn't have internet or cellular data at the resort. We went into town at least once a day but honestly I didn't want to bother logging. I may have gained a bit of fat (scale is up 4.2 lbs) but I would bet most of it is water and a bit of constipation. We will see where things are by this time next week.

My only concession to my healthier lifestyle was bringing my running gear. Ran through downtown Canmore on Saturday for my C25K scheduled workout, but skipped yesterday because I was staying somewhere else at that point and didn't want to run into a bear. Back on exercise plan today.
    I've been to Canmore. Loved it.

I was on vacation for almost two weeks and I was up 5 pounds when I got back. It's all gone today. I ate what I wanted and drank like a fish. I did a load of activities like snorkeling, swimming or hiking and didn't log a bite. Vacations are so cool.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went on my honeymoon to an all-inclusive in Cancun in February. Ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and drank quite a few beers. Gained a few pounds, came right back on plan on our return. It did slow my overall loss for February but I don't regret a thing. I'm in it for the long haul.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 60 pounds. I just returned to a deficit after a 2.5 week maintenance break. I'm the same weight I was when I started the break. Apparently intuitive eating = maintenance calories for me.

Make portion control a goal but do enjoy the food. Ensure you get good exercise in and have fun! Even a pound or two gained is easily lost upon returning to deficit.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm on vacation right now, and I'm aiming for maintenance and eyeballing portions. I may be off by a pound or two by the end of 10 days, but I probably won't need to buy any new pants ;)
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm staying all inclusive in Spain at the moment with a week left. I took my regular protein powder with me and have a shake and banana or grapefruit for breakfast, a healthy buffet lunch with lots of salad and fruit. Dinner is a grilled meat or fish and something on the side. I estimate I'm eating about my calories goal for the day. I'm using my Garmin watch to make sure I get 10000 steps each day and I'm also spending 2 hours doing light swimming (1 hour in the am and one in the pm). I'm logging about 1000 exercise calories a day. I don't drink alcohol so it might be a bit easier for me.

If I'm hungry I'll eat more. I had a nice burger yesterday. The best thing to do is relax, enjoy yourself and be a bit active.

I better go, my 10 year old son is causing trouble in the swimming pool. Why is it always my kids!!!!!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have been on my journey for 3.5 years and have had a number of holidays in that period.
    I tend to give myself the room to be in maintenance during that time and logged to the best of my ability. No way I am losing my streak!
    Generally I managed to stay on maintenance with a lot of exercise and being careful in choice. My worst gain over a 4.5 week trip (both work and a subsequent holiday) was 1kg, which was gone three days later. Most of it was water retention due to the long haul flight. In part this water retention is due to food being very salty in the airline food, this to allow you to taste something at high altitude as otherwise it would be even more bland than it already is. Plus flying seems to have people hold on the water more than usual anyway. Not sure why but honestly the difference after three days is significant.

Do note that I am quite good at the guesstimate game (laboratory background) and because I still eat out on a regular basis for work and private I have learned to choose reasonably low cal. I never brought a scale or measuring cups but in all honesty it would not be a bad move.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    zjpq wrote: »
    I try to make sensible choices and weigh up my options. So, since I am not that attached to having say toast with my eggs and bacon in the morning I may skip that so I can enjoy dessert after dinner with less guilt. Give half of my fries to someone else (or sub them for something a bit lower cal), keep it to one glass of soda a day, water the rest of the time unless having cocktails, have tacos or fajitas but only one with a tortilla and the rest over salad for example...etc. I try to balance the calories out a bit more but don't track or measure and still get to enjoy yummy food (and if I bite into something that isn't as good as it looked or 'worth' the calories I don't eat it anyway, I stop and find something else yummier ;) )

This is actually great advice! I'll be in Mexico but I doubt I'll get to eat at too many authentic places. My family isn't great about getting out of the resorts. I think I might just end up replacing some of the carbs (rice/tortillas) with veg and cross my fingers on the protein!
  • aeloine
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Hey, I'll actually be on W5 and W6 while away. Still trying to figure out if I'm willing to hoof it on the hotel treadmills or if I can find a comfortable and well lit route in Cozumel. Not really wanting to pause the program, since I've been so consistent up to this point.

Anyone else have thoughts on running while in a different country?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'll be going on vacation starting tomorrow (Friday). I don't intend to work out at all this weekend, but will find myself with a ton of time on my hands this next week. So I'll likely make up for it and then some. I say enjoy the vacation, if time presents itself then work out. Log what you can, but don't if you can't. It's not a big deal and the chances are anything over a pound or two that is gained in a week is water weight anyway. Remember, every pound gained requires a surplus of at least 3500 calories over your maintenance calories. It's tough to eat that much over. I'm sure it can be done, but it would take some serious effort to gain even a pound a day of real fat.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I used to just not log and let it all hang out, but I seem to find it very hard to start logging again after a break, plus if I'm not logging, I worry about food. So instead, I'm now logging through my holiday trips, but quite loosely. I'm an eyeballer anyway, and while away I'm accepting a lower level of accuracy. But I'm still making an entry for everything I eat. It keeps me in the habit and stops me fretting.

It's clear from the responses that different people prefer different approaches in this.
  • aeloine
    Options
    Quick update: forgot the scale and ditched the measuring cups. Turns out there really wasn't wifi anyway, so couldn't log even if I'd tried. 0.2 pounds gained, but I'm guessing that's just water weight from travel and some "tasty" airport snacks. Getting back on the band wagon today!