Help-I'm gaining and not losing

Options
2»

Replies

• DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hi nutmegoreo. My daily calorie intake on the app is 1310 a day. Even if I burn calories, I don't eat into that. So say I burned 200 calories, I still eat less than the 1310 that the app tells me to eat. Right now I'm only at around 800 calories and I've already eaten dinner. I weigh daily as my doctor recommended

I like daily, that way you can see the fluctuations. Have you been using a trending app? They can be very handy to sort through those fluctuations.

New workout routine? Increased intensity? likely water retention

TOM? water retention

Increased sodium intake? water retention

Forgetting or not logging "zero" calorie foods? Not using a food scale? inaccurate logging, could be actual fat gain

Thank you again :) the only app I use is MFP for the caloric intake and then runtastic to log my exercises. Do you have any other suggestions?

I use a good scale but don't typically log zero calorie food. I guess I should be?

For trending apps I love Happy Scale!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hi nutmegoreo. My daily calorie intake on the app is 1310 a day. Even if I burn calories, I don't eat into that. So say I burned 200 calories, I still eat less than the 1310 that the app tells me to eat. Right now I'm only at around 800 calories and I've already eaten dinner. I weigh daily as my doctor recommended

I like daily, that way you can see the fluctuations. Have you been using a trending app? They can be very handy to sort through those fluctuations.

New workout routine? Increased intensity? likely water retention

TOM? water retention

Increased sodium intake? water retention

Forgetting or not logging "zero" calorie foods? Not using a food scale? inaccurate logging, could be actual fat gain

Thank you again :) the only app I use is MFP for the caloric intake and then runtastic to log my exercises. Do you have any other suggestions?

I use a good scale but don't typically log zero calorie food. I guess I should be?

Sorry, got distracted, and then someone thought I should work for my pay :laugh:

I see below that you are referring to coffee, etc for zero cal stuff. I was more concerned that you were using things like the "0" calorie sprays. Those things can add up fast, depending on how much you are using. There are some micronutrients in several zero calorie items. For example my tea contains several minerals and small amounts of vitamins, I suspect coffee will as well, but you may not be interested in that fine of detail (particularly if you are just starting out).

There are a couple of options for tracking weight trends. I use Trendweight, but it syncs with FitBit. There is also happyscale and libra. You enter your weight daily, and it will calculate your trend. It takes a couple weeks of regular logging to develop that trend, but it can help you get out of your head when you experience fluctuations.

• jonalicia2503
    jonalicia2503 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also - I know this is controvertial on here - but I NEVER eat the calories I "earn" from exercise. NEVER.

Hi. I don't either. I feel like I would be eating too much
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    How are you determining the calories in your food? Are you using cups/spoons, food scale, guesstimating portions? Are you logging everything that you eat drink and cook/season with?

Hi, I use a food scale as well as measuring my the cup, etc. And no I wouldn't say I'm logging the seasoning I use to cook with or when I drink coffee :(
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    How are you determining the calories in your food? Are you using cups/spoons, food scale, guesstimating portions? Are you logging everything that you eat drink and cook/season with?

Hi, I use a food scale as well as measuring my the cup, etc. And no I wouldn't say I'm logging the seasoning I use to cook with or when I drink coffee :(

Lots of seasonings have calories, though small, and they can add up over the course of a day. Especially if you're not logging butter or oils you cook with. They can be quite high. Heck, I just used 4 tbsp of oil in my fried chicken. That's 480 calories for 3 people.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything different in the last couple of weeks regularly that could account for the weight gain? Perhaps something that is incorrect in the database?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your carb and sugar intake. The carbs I am "allowed" on MFP are way to high for me to lose on. I eat around 20-30 grams per day to lose weight, and less than 12 grams of sugar per day.

lowering carb or sugar intake wont make a difference unless she makes a bigger deficit by lowering them. all thats needed to lose is a deficit. heck I ate a lot of carbs and sugar in the last week or so and I lost 0.4 lbs this week.carbs and sugar should be lowered if you have a health issue otherwise its personal preference
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How much more do you have to lose? You've lost 42 pounds in a relatively short period of time - you might be getting to that point where fat loss just naturally slows down and then hormone fluctuations are causing the scale weight issues. It doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't still losing, just that your loss may be slowing down.

Double check to make sure that your log entries are accurate from the database. As you get lighter, it will be more important to tighten up your logging with correct information. Roughly, over five months, you've been averaging 2 pounds/week. If you are nearer to your goal, that won't be sustainable. The deficit that you were getting eating 1310 calories 42 pounds ago is much higher than the deficit that you're getting from that intake now, so your weight loss will be slower if you're still consuming the same cals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Also - I know this is controvertial on here - but I NEVER eat the calories I "earn" from exercise. NEVER.

Mfp's deficit is calculated before exercise. That's why it is recommended to eat around half of those calories back.

And there is nothing wrong with higher carbs and sugar. They won't prevent anyone from losing weight.
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    How much more do you have to lose? You've lost 42 pounds in a relatively short period of time - you might be getting to that point where fat loss just naturally slows down and then hormone fluctuations are causing the scale weight issues. It doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't still losing, just that your loss may be slowing down.

Double check to make sure that your log entries are accurate from the database. As you get lighter, it will be more important to tighten up your logging with correct information. Roughly, over five months, you've been averaging 2 pounds/week. If you are nearer to your goal, that won't be sustainable. The deficit that you were getting eating 1310 calories 42 pounds ago is much higher than the deficit that you're getting from that intake now, so your weight loss will be slower if you're still consuming the same cals.

Thank you for the insight. My initial weight loss goal is 50 pounds and I'm very close to it. Once I lose the 50 tho, I want to continue losing but no actual goal after that. I would love to lose 75 tho. I've been overweight almost all of my life and proud that I've lost the 42. I have actually lost a few pounds in the past few days.

I know the calorie goal has varied over the past few months. It was once around 1200 but it increased once I lost more weight. I'll go in and check my goals and make sure everything looks about accurate. I believe it still says I'm lightly active altho I do workout more so maybe I need to change that.

I see from other comments tho that I need to log more of the seasonings and oils. Altho I don't use much oil. I never really logged those

Thank you again!!
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Are you eating anything different in the last couple of weeks regularly that could account for the weight gain? Perhaps something that is incorrect in the database?

I've been pretty steady with my food intake and the types of food I eat. There are times I need to use what MFP shows as the calories for a specific food so I'm sure some might be off a little.
  • jonalicia2503
    Options

Mfp's deficit is calculated before exercise. That's why it is recommended to eat around half of those calories back.

And there is nothing wrong with higher carbs and sugar. They won't prevent anyone from losing weight.

So we're supposed to eat into the calories we burn? I've never eaten into the calories I burn as I was afraid of over eating
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

So we're supposed to eat into the calories we burn? I've never eaten into the calories I burn as I was afraid of over eating

If you used MFP for your calorie goal, that is supposed to be before exercise, as PP mentioned. Since you mentioned upthread that maybe you should change your activity setting based on exercise, this leads me to believe you were not aware of this.

Basically, the premise is that MFP doesn't believe someone will exercise until they actually do. So, you are supposed to choose the activity level based on your job. During the setup it will give you examples of jobs that (generally) fit each activity level. Then, when you exercise, you add that to your goal because you already have a deficit to lose weight. However, all of these numbers are estimates. Sometimes a person with a seemingly sedentary job is not actually sedentary. Sometimes the exercise burns are inaccurate for a person. So, you need to give numbers at least 4-6 weeks to see if they work for you and then adjust accordingly.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I would guess that you are not counting your calories correctly.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You have lots of company I assure you. I eat when I feel that I need to. If I do a heavy exercise day, I will naturally be more hungry, and eat accordingly. That is common sense. But to simply calculate those exercise calories burned, and eat them, when I am not even hungrier than normal, is counter-productive for me. Perhaps folks that have poor natural hunger cues need to do this.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

I have actually lost a few pounds in the past few days.

Ahhh... there you go!

I really think you were seeing the effects of normal, slower weight loss masked by water weight fluctuations. Congratulations on the weight loss! :)