14 Reasons Not to Use Splenda

Options
hpsnickers1
hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
http://www.thefitshack.com/2008/04/29/14-reasons-not-to-use-splenda-ddt-in-disguise/

came across this old article while looking for info about the glucose/fructose concentration in honey (is pretty much like HFCS and most commercial honey has been stripped of nutrients. Also found out through this site that 2/3 of the honey sold in the US comes from bees that are fed HFCS. Why am I not surprised.

But as usual this info is just food for thought. Take all articles with a grain of salt (these days most of the sugar addiction article I take seriously because I have a sugar addiction and it is an ongoing battle).

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    and it's disgusting. LOL Any kind of "fake" sugar just tastes so wrong.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    what?? now my 1/2 tsp of daily honey is bad for me?:grumble:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to eat any artificial sweeteners. My brother is the same way. I get headaches from them (and it turns out many are a known headache inducer). I asked my Doctor about this once and she said "don't eat them."

Also, keep in mind if you are eating a lot of processed 'diet' foods (with artificial sweeteners) you are not satisfying an actual craving for your body. Many are 100s of times sweeter than actual sugar, but your body does not understand what to do with the chemicals. In many cases, eating the processed food with the fake sugar just leads to extreme sugar cravings later in the day.

Why confuse your body? How is eating chemicals made in a lab really going to help you out in the long run?
  • jlembry
    jlembry Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a chemist and Splenda is the number one thing I would NEVER put in my body. I struggle with aspartame and diet soda, but Splenda is just scary.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Honey is not bad for you. Please don't listen to this suggestion that it is. Honey has been used for many centuries and actually has healing properties (when ingested in the raw honey form as well). Please don't stop eating honey!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here's my favorite source for raw honey: http://www.honeygardens.com/

Also a good resource to learn about honey benefits.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm glad I don't like Splenda. Very interesting.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Honey is not bad for you. Please don't listen to this suggestion that it is. Honey has been used for many centuries and actually has healing properties (when ingested in the raw honey form as well). Please don't stop eating honey!

:tongue: I won't....just seems like there's a new post every day about yet another thing we shouldn't eat :bigsmile:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Kind of a ridiculous article. I only see 1 reason...it's a form of chlorine, which by the way is in tap water across the world. Perhaps we should stop drinking tap water also. :noway:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Kind of a ridiculous article. I only see 1 reason...it's a form of chlorine, which by the way is in tap water across the world. Perhaps we should stop drinking tap water also. :noway:

Tap water is actually better for you than bottled. There are not any testing standards for bottled water that is on the shelves (and much of it is from municipal water sources). The water that comes out of your tap is tested on a regular basis.

Check out the documentary 'Tapped' it will forever change your view on bottled water.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Has anyone watched the documentary "Sweet Misery"? It goes in depth into these false sugars.

To be honest, I don't like using artificial sugars in the first place. Unless your reasoning includes someone in the household who has dietary restrictions (diabetes) I find it silly to use it. I do drink diet coke at work sometimes, yes, but with anything else, I am just trying to exercise my will power. You can always save more calories by getting a coffee with a half shot of vanilla and some cream than you would getting a small vanilla latte.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    "Kind of a ridiculous article. I only see 1 reason...it's a form of chlorine, which by the way is in tap water across the world. Perhaps we should stop drinking tap water also. :noway:

am i suppose to believe a article that says honey is bad for you?

i dont think so, im not giving up splenda cant believe everything you read.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Tap water is actually better for you than bottled. There are not any testing standards for bottled water that is on the shelves (and much of it is from municipal water sources). The water that comes out of your tap is tested on a regular basis.

Check out the documentary 'Tapped' it will forever change your view on bottled water.

Yes I've heard of that, which again simply enforces how ridiculous that article actually is.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

I agree 100%. Pure, raw unfiltered honey is great. You do get some nutrients and antioxidants. But look for 100% natural, pure honey.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    "Kind of a ridiculous article. I only see 1 reason...it's a form of chlorine, which by the way is in tap water across the world. Perhaps we should stop drinking tap water also. :noway:

am i suppose to believe a article that says honey is bad for you?

i dont think so, im not giving up splenda cant believe everything you read.

I'm not telling anyone to give anything up. Like all information off the internet you read it and take it with a grain of salt. I like to see all sides to an argument and then decide for myself how that will affect my life. And it's not saying all honey is bad for you. It says to be careful with what you buy. She says that most of the bee farms feed the bees HFCS - it doesn't get digested but regurgitated to make honey. So if you aren't careful with what you buy you could be buying something that is mostly HFCS.

And I'm sorry but I do think any fake sweetener is bad. All they are are sweet chemicals. We don't know what they are doing to us on a cellular level.
  • teagansdad
    teagansdad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It has been speculated that diet soda (the most significant source of artificial sweeteners for most people) interferes with the hormones which signal satiety and increases cravings for sugar:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diet-soda-healthy/
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811910011365

Diet soda consumption has been shown to be highly correlated with weight gain and metabolic syndrome symptoms. Dr. Freehoff at Weighty Matters is careful to point out that consumption of diet soda is a frequently marker for unhealthy eating behaviors: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2008/02/does-diet-pop-make-you-fat.html.

I have seen several references to artificial sweeteners triggering a similar insulin response as sugar (the sweet taste triggering the response despite no caloric intake); however, the research doesn't support this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/

As with virtually any topic in nutrition science, you can find studies that support any conclusion you want to draw. For me, there's enough reason to be wary of Splenda and other sweeteners to cut them out of my diet completely (kicking the two Coke Zeroes a day habit is difficult). If you're cutting out refined sugar, you might as well cut out the fake sugar as well, as that will let your tastebuds become more sensitive to the sweetness inherent in many natural foods.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    It has been speculated that diet soda (the most significant source of artificial sweeteners for most people) interferes with the hormones which signal satiety and increases cravings for sugar:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diet-soda-healthy/
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811910011365

Diet soda consumption has been shown to be highly correlated with weight gain and metabolic syndrome symptoms. Dr. Freehoff at Weighty Matters is careful to point out that consumption of diet soda is a frequently marker for unhealthy eating behaviors: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2008/02/does-diet-pop-make-you-fat.html.

I have seen several references to artificial sweeteners triggering a similar insulin response as sugar (the sweet taste triggering the response despite no caloric intake); however, the research doesn't support this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/

As with virtually any topic in nutrition science, you can find studies that support any conclusion you want to draw. For me, there's enough reason to be wary of Splenda and other sweeteners to cut them out of my diet completely (kicking the two Coke Zeroes a day habit is difficult). If you're cutting out refined sugar, you might as well cut out the fake sugar as well, as that will let your tastebuds become more sensitive to the sweetness inherent in many natural foods.

Thanks for the great response. These days I can taste natural sweetness in the almonds I eat. I can taste the natural sweetness in the "unsweetened" coconut I eat. And from what I have researched the fake sweeteners seem to have a addictiveness (is that a word?) to them. My goal is to one day hit true homeostasis. I would love to know what that feels like. I have come close but sugar is still an addiction for me. Getting out of my life is an ongoing battle (just like the addiction with cigarettes).
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Buy raw honey. Even better if it's local.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to quit Splenda completely. I keep hearing it contributes to memory loss. I've gone back to the pink stuff and will eventually switch to Stevia. I know honey is a good substitute but I'm not a big fan.
  • sonpari24
    sonpari24 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    v informative