Weightloss and the contraception pill

Options
Hello everyone,

So I have been on my journey since November 2015. I managed to lose 2 stone simply by using myfitnesspal. At that time I was on the implant. I am now on the mini pill and I have only just noticed that since starting weightloss has been difficult... does anyone else have the same experience as me? I don't really want to change my contraception but I am finding it difficult to lose the weight. I work out 3 times a week for a minimum of 45mins and I regularly eat between 1300 calories and 1700 calories. I'm 5"2 and 14 stone 7 so this is a rather big deficit for me...

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My doctor always told me that there's nothing in the pill that causes weight gain, but the hormonal changes can have an effect on appetite, water retention etc. I was told that it takes 3-6 months for your body to adjust to the pill, so it might just be a case of giving it time. If you feel you have given it time, you could always see your doctor about a different pill. I'm on cerazette (might be a different brand in the US, I'm in the UK) which has the same hormones as the implant. I was put on it before I had my implant to "ease" me into it. Turns out I'm better on the pill than the implant so I've been on it for a couple of years now.
    Xx
  • jessiecollinsxo
    jessiecollinsxo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello x_stephisaur_x I've been on the pill for well over a year now - I'm in the UK too and we are on the same pill. My implant was starting to reject and was hurting and the hormones we all over the place hence why I came off... I love being on this pill but obviously want to lose weight. I was put onto the mini pill because my BMI was too high to go onto a normal pill :( this is also the wake up call which started me on my weightloss journey, it's been nearly 2 years now and since that 2 years I have been struggling and just thought it was me not giving it my all :cry:
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Having a quick look at your diary what jumps out at me is you don't seem to log your weekends, I think you might be eating/drinking more than you think then and knacking your deficit for the week. Don't give up but start logging and maybe even try pre logging during the weekend, even if you go over your cals log it, you need to rule this out as a reason you're not losing. Also do you make sure you weigh your food you do log with a digital scale? Take care and good luck xxx
  • x_stephisaur_x
    Options
    I had the same problem with the implant, such a pain because it was so convenient!!

As above, try logging your weekends and see if that helps. I eat soooooo much on the weekends if I don't keep myself in check! It can really screw you over without you realising it.

I've sent you a friend request too <3
    xx
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by implant? I have a copper IUD and it's AWESOME.
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Probably Nexplanon. It's the arm implant bc.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    Options

Usually Implanon in the UK, but the same as Nexplanon. It's a little rubber strip that goes in your arm.
  • julieannridder891
    julieannridder891 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never had trouble losing weight on the pill or Nuba ring. I'm on Mirena now only 6 weeks so not sure if it will affect my weight loss, struggling getting weight off the past year
  • julieannridder891
    julieannridder891 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried the depo once gained 15-20lbs in a month not for me!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on the pill, and have lost 45 lbs successfully and fairly easily on the pill (at 46 years old). It was not the pill that caused me to gain weight, it was my overeating that caused me to gain weight.
  • Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight (~30 lbs total) while on the pill. Log your weekends and make sure you're logging honestly.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I never had trouble losing weight on the pill or Nuba ring. I'm on Mirena now only 6 weeks so not sure if it will affect my weight loss, struggling getting weight off the past year

I've been on the mirena for over 9 months and lost over 30 pounds while on it in the past months. It's very local and low hormone. I've never tried the pill, I hear and see to many women gain weight and have bad side effects or mood swings and I'm a low risk person lol. Also.... never heard of the implant! I wonder if it's even given in Canada..?
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    On the minipill I put on a bunch of weight but lost it steadily. Since going hormone free I've noticed it hard to lose weight around my cycle I'd never experienced on the mini pill, so it does have some 'bonuses'
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh I was hoping someone would ask this! I was around 55 kilos for most of my adult life. I got on the pill 4 years ago and boom! 21 kilos appeared in a snap!
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    perera1990 wrote: »
    Oh I was hoping someone would ask this! I was around 55 kilos for most of my adult life. I got on the pill 4 years ago and boom! 21 kilos appeared in a snap!

YEa the hormones are running through your body and some women aren't affected by it and so many studies were done to prove women wrong saying there is no correlated weight gain BUT when my GP proposed it to me I asked about it and she said "although all the studies done prove the pill does not make you gain weight, somehow almost every women who take it under my care have gained weight"...so I said no
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Having a quick look at your diary what jumps out at me is you don't seem to log your weekends

If that's the case, I'd start there. Overeating at weekends is a common issue, and not logging at weekends means you don't know what your average intake is - it could be a lot higher than your weekday logs suggest.

Once you've ruled out weekend overeating, by logging everything you eat on every day, if you're still having issues you could look at the effect of the pill. But tackle those weekends first.

I should point out that I can't vouch for whether your weekends are logged or not as I'm not able to see your diary.