Dealing with hunger

Options
Hey does anyone have tips on how to deal with hunger? I'm on 1300 calories a day. It's working. But I'm always hungry. I'm 10 stone 13, 5'6 and wanna get down to 10 stone. I find it so hard as I'm always thinking about food. I put pound a week weight loss as I find if I eat any more I don't really lose... just wanna deal with the hunger but struggling.

Replies

• xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds with water is filling. When I'm hungry and have little room for adding calories, I eat protein, like a 3 oz chicken breast.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat more (and aim to lose more slowly, but steady, because you can stick to it), or better (how's your macro setting? Are you getting in your five-a-day?). If you just think you are hungry, distract yourself. There isn't really more to do about it, or more to it.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I choose to skip breakfast. If you're going to be hungry anyway, you might as well only be hungry in the morning. That gives you more calories for a more satisfying lunch and dinner. It takes a little getting used to, but there's also the mental adjustment of realizing that it's ok to be hungry sometimes.

I also drink a ton of sparkling water. It helps keep me hydrated and fills the void better than still water for me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a bit of protein at every meal. Also make sure that you are not confusing hunger for thirst. Drink that water.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Drink enough water to always feel bloated, and maybe you won't want to eat. :lol:

Really though, I've read that fiber is supposed to be used when feeling hungry, but I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. What works best for me is this CytoSport Monters Milk protein powder. I've never felt so bloated from drinking protein before. It might be because it is mixed with creatine, but I swear one shake can be used as a meal replacement because there is no way I could ever drink it and eat within a short time span.

I'm used to not eating throughout the day, though. I normally just have a cup of coffee whenever my stomach rumbles. I do keep a bottle of metamucil at my desk in case I want fiber, though.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water is a good idea. Sugar-free fizzy drinks (or sparking water) can be good for making you feel full for a few/no calories. You should also look at what and when you are eating. What food fills you up? For me, it's protein and fibre, so I try to base my meals and snacks around those. I also find that high volume but low calorie foods (e.g. salad, non-starch vegetables) help make me feel full. I personally do better with having lots of low calorie snacks and smaller meals so that I'm eating more frequently, rather than cutting out snacks altogether. So that might work for you, or bigger meals and fewer snacks might be how you work best! Try things out and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What I do when I get hungry depends on how hungry I am. If I'm not really hungry but just feel like eating something, I eat a nearly zero calorie snack, such as sliced salted radishes, roasted seaweed, or a latte made with unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon.

For actual hunger, I eat more, and then work out so that I can afford the calories. 1300 a day is tough, but 15 minutes of intense activity will get you another 200 to play with. An hour of moderate to intense activity will earn you a whole other meal. I find myself most comfortable when I am able to eat 3 meals of at least 450 calories, plus a small snack.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Hunger and satiation are very individual. Increasing calories and losing more slowly (but with an easier path) is one option. You can also consider switching up your eating routine.

Experiment to figure out which foods are most filling for you - that part is very individual. Common satisfiers are protein, fats, complex carbs (like potatoes or grains), or high-fiber low-cal veggies. For some, it's a combination. Sometimes extra water or other zero-cal beverages help, too.

Another variable is timing - all that stuff like 1 meal a day vs. 3 meals, 5 small meals, snacks or no, etc. Again, everyone's different in this.

Think about other factors that influence perceived hunger: Are you getting too little sleep? Under a lot of stress? Does exercise influence your hunger (for some, it increases hunger, for others it suppresses hunger)? Are you drinking sufficient liquids (you don't need to go crazy)? Are there social triggers or trigger foods influencing how hungry you feel? Habitual eating cues you're responding to (TV is a common one)? Other psychological cues (for example, some people feel fuller if they use smaller plates - no lie ;) )?

For some of these, events the day before can be relevant (some people feel hungrier the day after weight training, for example). Review your diary, look for patterns.

If boredom or habit are in the picture at all, consciously work on new habits. Take a brief walk or do something distracting when you feel hungry, to see if the feeling fades. Take up a new, absorbing hobby, especially one that requires clean hands (needlework, musical instrument, sketching, etc.) or makes hands too untidy to eat (gardening, woodworking, painting, etc.)

If stress is a trigger, find new de-stressers, like exercise, hot bath, meditation, or enjoyable music.

This kind of thoughtful analysis, and establishment of new habits, can really help us get into a new, permanent routine that's both healthier & more satisfying.

• brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hey does anyone have tips on how to deal with hunger? I'm on 1300 calories a day. It's working. But I'm always hungry. I'm 10 stone 13, 5'6 and wanna get down to 10 stone. I find it so hard as I'm always thinking about food. I put pound a week weight loss as I find if I eat any more I don't really lose... just wanna deal with the hunger but struggling.

I'm hungry right now haha

In all seriousness tho, when I first started tryna shed those pounds, I felt like I was starving 24/7. I still feel hungry at night nowadays but it's a lot better.

Try:

1. Staying hydrated (green tea in particular helps with hunger pangs a lot - I drink 2-4 sugarless glasses a day)
    2. Loading up on protein and fiber at every meal, especially breakfast (eggs eggs eggs and stuff like muesli and almonds and whole wheat pancakes pasta etc)
    3. Yoga and meditation (they've helped me immensely by sharpening my focus and directing it to whatever I'm doing at the moment so I think about my hunger less)
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I'll try eating more proteins for breakfast and lunch. Today for lunch I had a small roll and the white bread might have spiked my hunger more.. I don't drink enough water either.. I probably have a glass and that's it so I'll drink more