Creatine and BCAA advice

Options
So I am new to lifting/body building I previously lost a large amount of weight (17 stone) and I lost a lot of muscle which I am not trying to regain and shape my body again. I am currently going to them gym every night usually 2.5-2.5 hrs and I am taking protein isolate after workouts. I have heard a lot about creatine and BCAA but should I take them? Will they hel in anyway?when should I take these for best results. I currently can't lift large amounts of weight would this help with that? My goal is to build my chest as I have sagging chest from been large and also get a visible six pack well and generally building tone and definition

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    First step is to follow a structured training program. I assume that you aren't following one, as I am not aware of any that take 2.5 hours per day 7 days a week. Please correct me if I am wrong.

See: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Following an appropriate program will help you lift large amounts of weight. The other primary helpers are:
    - food
    - rest
    - time & patience. Building muscle and getting strong doesn't happen overnight.

Creatine is a well studied supplement. It has been shown to be beneficial to strength, power, speed and muscle growth. It is a supplement, and not in any way a replacement for a well structured training program, food, rest or time.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I use both. Creatine makes me a bit bloated, which doesn't bother me overmuch. I mix it my vega electrolyte mix that I drink during my workout. I use a protein powder with BCAA's added in, but do also use a bcaa supplement mixed with my caffeine supplement that I take before my workout. I am up at 4:30 am to go to the gym, and don't have an appetite in the morning. I use the BCAA's and caffeine to get me moving.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Protein from whey, meats, whole milk, etc. are much better at building muscle than BCAAs. BCAAs do not trigger muscle protein synthesis to its fullest. The only time I use BCAAs is when I am fasting because I figure some muscle protein synthesis is better than none.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    *BCAA as in the supplement form.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    Protein from whey, meats, whole milk, etc. are much better at building muscle than BCAAs. BCAAs do not trigger muscle protein synthesis to its fullest. The only time I use BCAAs is when I am fasting because I figure some muscle protein synthesis is better than none.

I'm no scientist but the research I've read says BCAA does help with protein synthesis. I would love to read more about the research.
    Please don't take it that I'm saying you're wrong, because my knowledge is limited on the subject. I found it's hard to find good reports, most are ads to sell BCAA.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    blakejohn wrote: »

I'm no scientist but the research I've read says BCAA does help with protein synthesis. I would love to read more about the research.
    Please don't take it that I'm saying you're wrong, because my knowledge is limited on the subject. I found it's hard to find good reports, most are ads to sell BCAA.

BCAAs, well Leucine, will stimulate MPS. But BCAAs can be obtained through food and if one uses whey, that is a more effective method to get BCAAs.

Id agree that if the OP is lifting for 2.5 hours is probably a very inefficient program or just a hogpog of lifts.

I would be to get on a structured program and ensure you are getting adequate total protein (~1g/lb is a good target).

Creatine monohydrate is the most effective form of creatine. You can take it but if you are a noob, you may not really see a benefit outside of the cns gains you will see from being a noob.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    blakejohn wrote: »

Its all good, I am still learning a lot myself.

"The study, involving the universities of Exeter and Birmingham and published in Frontiers in Physiology, show that while BCAA supplements do stimulate the muscle building response in individuals after they lift weights, other muscle-building supplements are far more effective.

Other supplements that contain all necessary amino acids stimulate a greater muscle growth response, which suggests that taking BCAA supplements alone is not the best way to optimize muscle growth with weight training.

The scientists also investigated how effective the supplements were at stimulating the machinery inside the muscle itself that leads to muscle growth.

They found that while BCAA drinks stimulate the body's muscle building systems, they lack some essential amino acids that are necessary to support a maximal muscle growth response."

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2017.00390/full

Here is the Churchward-Venne study they referenced
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=22451437

Taking in a BCAA supplement will still trigger muscle protein synthesis, it just wont be as powerful if you do not get your BCAAs from a food source that is a complete protein.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for the info. The food always supplies the best source. Good thing I like to eat.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    to echo what has been stated above:

Pick a decent lifting program and follow it.
    Aim for about 1 hour in the gym, four times a week for your lifting. (You may wish to add other days to work on other goals such as cardiovascular fitness or agility)
    Creatine - good idea and generally there seems to be evidence that it is useful
    BCAA - probably only worth looking into if you work out fasted (and even then I think the evidence is weak)
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info a typing error on my part 1.5 - 2.5 ( only the latter when doing cardio/other sports that day) I follow a broken down schedule for my workouts but as I haven't really every looked into the supplement side of things this as something I had seen popping up in places as a staple supplement support to body building.
    I take care while in the gym as to my extensive tummy and body lifts which pushes my time up also in the gym.
    Maybe a noob with supplements but I guess that's the idea in asking.