30 day shred - shoulder cramp?

Options
Hi,

I've been doing the 30 day shred for 4 days now, and find that my shoulders get very uncomfortable in a number of the strength moves. I would say I am fairly strong, and am only using 1.5 kg weights. It's not painful, just uncomfortable to the extent that I know it's my body telling me to stop. I skipped to level 2 today as level one wasn't my style, and whole I much prefer the workout, I am again having trouble with the plank based moves, and some of the strength, Does anybody else have this problem - should I just power through it and see if it eases up over the next few days? I would describe it almost like cramp - and I have very clicky shoulders.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Where is it crampng? You may not be doing the pose correct or as you stated your body is telling you no bueno!!!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with some of the moves. I generally do every other rep of the arm movement while still doing every rep of the leg movement (if that makes sense) or I just skip the arms altogether. And if I feel like my shoulder is cramping, I stop for a second and stretch. It also helps to make sure I'm well hydrated before working out, and that I eat enough protein.
  • susanelizabeth1988
    susanelizabeth1988 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Where is it crampng? You may not be doing the pose correct or as you stated your body is telling you no bueno!!!

I don't know how to explain it, it only happens in the movement, say raising weights to chin level whilst doing side lunges. it goes away as soon as i lower the weights.

And maybe protein is a big problem. I'm vegetarian with little protein in my diet. Thinking about starting to drink protein supplement drinks - not really sure though - don't want to gain loads of weight as a result!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    My back was fine till I hit level 2. Those planks are absolutely brutal to my upper back. :(
  • MsLizzy23
    MsLizzy23 Posts: 4
    Options
    It could be a number of reasons, I suggest that you try some stretches in your shoulders before you begin your workout. :happy: Hope you feel better & best of luck in your goals!!
  • susanelizabeth1988
    susanelizabeth1988 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I suppose this proves a dvd is no substitute for a real trainer - you never quite know if you're doing the moves right.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Also consider using a mirror to check your form.

My shoulder started giving me trouble - deep inner, not muscle - when I was new to swinging the kettlebell around, but the pain only comes back if I'm working out on low fuel or I'm already fatigued and trying to push through (i.e. my form suffers).

GL
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think the sensation you feel may well be exercise. Make sure you warm up properly. What I remember it was all low impact, with the difficult stuff being isometrics. Intense pain/cramp is normal during isometrics, just make sure it's muscle pain instead of joint, and that your posture is correct. Do be sure to protect your back throughout.
    Google deltoids diagrams, and consider if it's these muscles that feel uncomfortable during raises.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I am on L1 day 9 and I did L2 today right after and I agree, I like L2 much better. I also have a "clicky" shoulder and I usually start my warm up while she is yapping away. I do the shoulders and knees a lot longer than she does. It has helped me a lot.

Good luck!
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Make a longer warm-up, I used to feel a similar pain and it stopped when I started doing other cardio exercise before the Shred.
  • ccyha1
    ccyha1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Everybody is not structured the same and since you are not being couched hands on, Stick with fewer reps before you end up with major injury that will leave permanent scar to your muscle tissues.