Upping my protein and fiber

buttercup62999
buttercup62999 Posts: 30 Member
edited 11:47AM in Food and Nutrition
Sometimes I can get my calories right and I feel like I am eating ok, not the best per say but the best I can do. I usually do a liquid breakfast, like Carnation, but need a better alternative, also, love my salads for lunch, but what can I add to give them more protein and fiber? I personally like a greek type salad constisting of sliced turkey one or 2 slices a roma tomoato a serving of kalmata olives and some feta cheese, usally I do measure all my ingredients, lol. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have!

Replies

• ScoutMom1
    ScoutMom1 Posts: 57
    I like Kashi GoLean cereal for breakfast, I prefer the Honey Almond Flax and it's a very good alternative to the liquid carnation. A serving is a cup and then I add about 1/2 cup of skimmed milk. I like it mostly because it's a quick easy breakfast and very good source of protien and fiber. You could also try to add soy nut to your salad which is another good source for protien and fiber. Hope that helps
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    I prefer Shakeology for a liquid breakfast. It's full of vitamins and minerals and gets me started right on my day. IMO it tastes better than Carnation too (and is a lot healthier!). Sliced chicken breast and hardboiled eggs too on your salads, beans would give both protein and fiber, What about including a Greek yogurt on the side?
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    My go to breakfasts - 3/4c plain fat free greek yogurt, 1/2 Kashi go lean crunch, 1 cup mixed berries. Or oatmeal with some fruit and nuts mixed in. Or cottage cheese with fruit mixed in.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Sometimes I can get my calories right and I feel like I am eating ok, not the best per say but the best I can do. I usually do a liquid breakfast, like Carnation, but need a better alternative, also, love my salads for lunch, but what can I add to give them more protein and fiber? I personally like a greek type salad constisting of sliced turkey one or 2 slices a roma tomoato a serving of kalmata olives and some feta cheese, usally I do measure all my ingredients, lol. Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have!

You can add some beans to your salad. I also love greek salads, and I think some garbonzo beans would be great! As well as some greens, like arrugala or even romain if arrugala is to bitter for you.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member

You can add some beans to your salad. I also love greek salads, and I think some garbonzo beans would be great! As well as some greens, like arrugala or even romain if arrugala is to bitter for you.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member

It sounds like your salad is pretty balanced, actually!
    as for breakfast, if you need something quick there is always greek yogurt, its very high in protein =) if you need fiber you can mix in a soluble supplement or grab an apple, eat high fiber cereal, there are quite a few options here.

Throw some broccoli or other dense veggies into your salad, or sprinkle all-bran original cereal on top and it adds crunch like a crouton, and tastes pretty good. You can also make ranch dressing from greek yogurt by adding a packet of hidden valley ranch and just mixing it up with the yogurt.

Hope this helps
  • threekidsforme
    threekidsforme Posts: 15 Member
    I use Herbalife for my breakfast. It has 33% of your daily nutrient values and there are hundreds of flavors that can be made. For a bit more protein on your salad, you could always add black beans. Hope that helps some! Good luck!!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    BEANS! add them in wherever you can. Also hardboiled eggs and lowfat cheeses on your salads. I sometimes throw on some walnuts for added protein and good fat.

Cottage cheese is high in protein and a great breakfast with some fresh fruit.

I like Designer Whey vanilla protein, only 100 calories and no JUNK in it; for 17g protein. I put it in milk or juice.

HTH
  • privateannonymous
    privateannonymous Posts: 5 Member
    I would recommend a whey protein for your morning drink. Muscle Milk is high in protein and also has fiber. You can get it in vanilla or chocolate. It's easy to make your own protein shakes. Here's a recipie and it tastes like a chocolate milkshake...honest!

1 scoop Chocolate Muscle Milk protein powder, 2 Tablespoons Jello Sugar Free Instant Chocolate Pudding, 1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk (has way more calcium than milk) or you can use skim milk. Add 6-8 ice-cubes, blend for 2 minutes and drink. You'll swear you're drinking a chocolate milkshake without the fat, increase your protein and add fiber. And it's really delicious.
  • buttercup62999
    buttercup62999 Posts: 30 Member
    Awesome!! Thank you for all the ideas!! I do put lettuce in my salad also lol, didn't realize I left it out of my list lol, I usually use baby lettuce mix of romaine and various other leaves and things lol. I will definetly be trying some other liquid forms of breakfast and days I want food I have ideas for those!! Keep the good ideas coming!!
This discussion has been closed.