Certain weights you gravitate to

TnZMom
TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
Excuse the science pun in the subject line...

Does anyone else have certain weights where they just plateau from weight loss (boo) or tend not to gain (yay)?

I have been up and down several times after giving birth. After the first baby, went 220-170 no problem. Same thing after second baby. But couldn't break into the 160's for very long. Then weight crept up really slowly, til I was at 181, but now I got back down to 170 pretty fast again. Yet it's taking a lot of effort to go below that.

Back in college, I always hovered 150-155 and wouldn't budge from that even when overeating or eating in a deficit for a long time.

I know CICO works in the end, but was wondering if anyone else has regular stuck weights. On the other hand, it will be good for maintenance. 150-155 is within healthy BMI. Just gotta get there...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't think I have that. I weigh less than I did when I was 18.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I have but it's completely psychological. I'm there just now. I'm probably about where I have been most of my adult life (gained a lot of a couple of years as sort of side effect of illness) and it has been a bit tricky to get head in gear and consistent. There have certainly been times when I've thought I was in a deficit but look back and see I actually wasn't at all.

From sloppy logging, to "forgetting" to log something, to eating out and not being 100% honest with myself, to having more days at maintenance than I was consciously thinking about; they all meant I plateaued. It's got zero to do with your body and everything to do with your brain, knowing or unknowingly.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    173 - every time. But I agree with @VintageFeline - for me it's probably psychological. I likely start getting sloppy around that point.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Definitely-for me. 136 lbs.
    biggest mistake ever was to go below that (well within healthy bmi) , couldn't maintain so got disheartened - and put on lots of lbs.
    This time I'm listening to my body. About 10 -14 lbs to go.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    This is my fourth serious attempt to lose weight and I'm stuck around 128-130lbs yet again. I always shed the first 20lbs quite easily but feel like I've plateaued here. I've weighed my food, counted my calories more religiously (1100-1300cal a day) and added intensity to my workouts but have only dropped 0.4lbs over the past week. Getting extremely frustrated now to be honest.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Oh.... haha, I thought you meant like do you like dumbbells? barbells? :smile:
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2017
    tinyvipers wrote: »
    This is my fourth serious attempt to lose weight and I'm stuck around 128-130lbs yet again. I always shed the first 20lbs quite easily but feel like I've plateaued here. I've weighed my food, counted my calories more religiously (1100-1300cal a day) and added intensity to my workouts but have only dropped 0.4lbs over the past week. Getting extremely frustrated now to be honest.

A week isn't a plateau, it's normal. Get frustrated after 6 weeks. You're probably going to see the scale appear to stall because the losses will be smaller and more prone to masking from water weight fluctuations.

I'm getting discouraged so soon because it doesn't make any logical sense to me:

I do 1 hour of yoga daily + 30 min of butt and thighs training 3 days a week (TTS) + 60 min of treadmill walking at 1.0 incline and 4.2mi/h 3 days a week (MWF).

The math simply doesn't add up which is why I keep thinking this is an actual plateau. Regardless, I plan on continuing my healthy diet + exercise regime until the end of August. Fingers crossed!

• Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    I have been bouncing the same 2 lbs for 12 weeks now....i am not losing faith in the process, the weight will come off, but I am frustrated with ME. It is 1000 percent what someone said...I feel so good right now I have gotten sloppy with my food logging. my food choices are still solid and I have not backtracked with my trigger foods but I know how important logging is to keep portions okay.... it is a long winding road. I lost 76 pounds in the last year so I know it is slow.....and I am making it take longer by not logging.
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    I have decided on the weight range I want to be. Any time I am over, even by 3-5 pounds, I will lower my calorie intake for a while until I get back to that range. It's easy to lose 5 lb. If I ignore the gain because it looks so small, then eventually it may be 20 lb I need to lose, and that is a lot harder.
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member

A week isn't a plateau, it's normal. Get frustrated after 6 weeks. You're probably going to see the scale appear to stall because the losses will be smaller and more prone to masking from water weight fluctuations.

I'm getting discouraged so soon because it doesn't make any logical sense to me:

I do 1 hour of yoga daily + 30 min of butt and thighs training 3 days a week (TTS) + 60 min of treadmill walking at 1.0 incline and 4.2mi/h 3 days a week (MWF).

The math simply doesn't add up which is why I keep thinking this is an actual plateau. Regardless, I plan on continuing my healthy diet + exercise regime until the end of August. Fingers crossed!

!. You've lost weight so its not a plateau. .4 lb is a loss (.2 lbs is a loss)

2. you dont have much to lose at 128 lbs so you shouldnt be losing more than .5 lbs a week anyway, So Congratulations your not plateauing your right on track.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    I have certain weights where I seem to get "stuck" for a bit, but I always move below them if I keep on. I'm at one now. The scale hasn't budged in almost three weeks, but I know if I am patient it will.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Sure, but like @VintageFeline said it's psychological followed by sloppy logging, I'm at a weight now I haven't been in more than 25 years it's hard to keep in the losing mindset and stay consistent as i haven't seen myself look like this in such a long time, but I will reach my goal I'm determined to see it through and not make the same mistake I have in the past of stopping and gaining again.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    140. I see this number and start thinking "I look better than I did before, my clothes fit, I eat better. I've done enough". Truth is I don't feel or look 100% at my goal vision. I just slacked off. I eased off on training (could lift heavier or run faster but don't) and could be more on plan more days of the week but just aren't. The plan is in action to kick it back in gear and get off my self imposed "complacency plateau".
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Oh.... haha, I thought you meant like do you like dumbbells? barbells? :smile:

Haha me too. I was about to comment, I like two 15 lb dumbells for arm workouts
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Yup, all my life I was between 100-110 lbs.
    I put on 30 lbs, over 5 years, when I got a car in my late 40's-
    sharp decrease in daily activity + no decrease in calories = weight gain over time.

I lost the 30, brought my daily activity up and do an hours purposful activity a day (to compensate for not walking and biking everywhere) and maintain at 100-105 with no problem.

I don't believe in a set point, but I do think my preferred calorie intake and activity level coincide nicely to keep me at a weight I am happy with.

Cheers, h.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I have 2. If I eat and drink whatever I want I'll hit 220 and stay there. I can lose to 150 and maintain there pretty easily at a 2000 calorie diet. To get and stay under 150 has been a battle for almost a year now. My goal is 130 and I'm currently about 142. It's much harder with a razor thin margin when you're already at a good weight. I think "set point" might be a valid theory, but that with persistence, it's possible to REset.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Thanks! I like the idea of aiming to RE-set.

Also agree with getting sloppy -- 170 is a milestone for me so I slack off a little. Here's to discipline for future to bust through the 170 point.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm 5"8 and 150lbs seems to be my happy weight, this weight seems to correspond with my natural appetite and activity level. I can get below it, but it requires work and precise logging, which sometimes i have the motivation to do, and sometimes not...
  • kkies22
    kkies22 Posts: 1 Member
    bodwomon wrote: »

I'm experiencing the same thing. I think I'm going to try high intensity workouts this week. I usually do more moderate exercise and I may not be getting to the fat burning as well as I would like.