FREE stuff through Blue Cross Blue Shield

Options
Hello! If you have Blue Cross Blue Shield (I am in TX) they have a "Personal Health Manager" that is free. You can read articles and complete health questionnaires for points and then get free products (sports/fitness equipment, cooking pots/pans, dog house, flat screen TV, hotel stays, etc). I was able to get a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor for FREE through this program (costs about $87 online), and I've already accrued more points.

Blue Cross also has a Fitness Program that you pay $31.39 join up fee and $31.39 a month and you can go to any fitness center in their network. You need to make sure something is near you before joining, but for those who like variety, travel or need the entire village to help us it can be a good program. You also earn points for visiting the fitness centers. There is no contract and you can cancel anytime. (any extra fees at the gym such as personal training, etc. are not covered)

Hope this isn't an ad. I don't work for BCBS but just thought it was exciting. I like free stuff. LOL.

Replies

• tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Was excited when I saw this but I am under the federal BCBS which is a bit different, but I was able to get a free pedometer. Was worth looking at though.
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Was excited when I saw this but I am under the federal BCBS which is a bit different, but I was able to get a free pedometer. Was worth looking at though.

Just did some further looking and see I can at least get a discount on Polar HRMs. Please post how you like the one you got.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would encourage everyone to check with their healthplan's website or call member services to see what you quality for.

This is definitely an increasing trend.

I happen to work in healthcare technology and have many Blue Cross Blue Shield and other health plans as customers and they are all looking to engage their members because it is less expensive for them to spend a little money upfront to support your health and wellness versus spend a lot down the road for your Rx prescriptions, procedures, hospitalizations, etc.

OP - Enjoy your HRM. That's wonderful!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link to the Personal Health Manager, I'm sure it's easy to find but I'm not finding it. They do have a lot of information on their website!
  • thepinas
    thepinas Posts: 38
    Options
    I also have BCBSTX, how do I get the free stuff? Do I cann? Online?? Details Please.
  • kathytexas
    kathytexas Posts: 21
    Options
    I go to www.bcbstx.com and complete steps to log in or sign up for an online account if you don't already have one. On my home page for my personal account there is a link for the Personal Health Manager.

I can't post a link directly to the Personal Health Manager because you can only access that it from your personal BCBS account (hope that makes sense?).

The free stuff is part of their Blue Points program. You accumulate points by reading articles, completing health questionnaires and working out. They have information for adults and children, stop smoking, weight loss, live well, nutrition and fitness sections that you can accumulate points by completing. They cap the # of points per week, but it's still worth it in my opinion. I like the articles, and they have pretty extensive information and variety of topics. Too much info.? LOL.

I love the Polar FT7 heart rate monitor. You get the wrist watch, chest strap and monitor thingy that snaps on the chest strap. The chest strap is comfy and not a pain to use (I've heard negative things about them). Seems to be accurate and lets you know if you are working in fat burning or fitness zones, tracks how long you are working out, tracks calories burned, you can swim with it on and it keeps a log of your workouts in the wrist watch. You can also buy a device that will send your workout information to your computer, but I don't have that (it didn't come in the free package).

**(I am in Texas so you will have to check with your BCBS or insurance program if you are in another state or have another insurance provider).
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was trying to find it without logging in. I didn't even think to log in! I'll try it later. I've been wanting a HRM, a free one would be great! Thanks for sharing!
  • thepinas
    thepinas Posts: 38
    Options
    HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR BCBSTX:

HOPE IT HELPS!!

To take the Health Risk Assessment (HRA):

1.Log in to Blue Access for MembersSMs. If you are not currently a Blue Access for Members user, sign up now for instant access.
    2.Select the My Health tab at the top of the screen, and go to Tools.
    3.Click on the Personal Health Manager* logo.
    4.Read the Legal Disclaimer and select “I Agree” or I Disagree.” If you agree with the disclaimer, you will be linked directly to the Personal Health Manager website.
    5.Once on the site, go to Know Your Risk and choose to Take the Health Risk Assessment.
    6.Once you complete the HRA, agree to release the information to BCBSTX.

To view options under For Your Health:

1.Log in to Blue Access® for Members. If you are not currently a Blue Access for Members user, sign up now for instant access.
    2.Select the My Health tab at the top of the screen, and go to Tools.
    3.Click on the Personal Health Manager logo.*
    4.Read the Legal Disclaimer and select “I Agree” or I Disagree.” If you agree with the disclaimer, you will be linked directly to Personal Health Manager website.
    5.Once on the site, go to the For Your Health section at the top of the screen.
    6.Select an icon to view program details.