OCD keeping me from my goals.

Options
This is actually really embarrassing for me. I am having hard time really commiting to my fitness goals because I am preoccupied. I have three kids, one child has special needs and I am always doing a project around my house. But those things really never got in the way of me taking care of myself in the past. Right now what is preoccuping and keeping me from my goals is politics and my inability to disconnect from the noise and it is starting to really bother me. But I can't get away from it. For the last few years my personal hobby has been politics (talking about it, debating it and reading all the time) and I honestly think it has greatly contributed to my weight gain and stress level.

I'm just having a really hard time tuning out all the noise. I do have OCD and I know that exercise would actually help this issue...This has been a while that I have been going through this. Anyone have any words of wisdom for getting over this hump?

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Maybe a MP3 player to block outside noise. I have a teen and 2 special needs kids myself. I feel your pain
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from OCD but have had Generalised Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks during stressful phases in my life, and can honestly say you're right in that exercise is the key - I was never happier than when I ran 3 times a week. I've never been what you would call a great runner, but half an hour a session seemed to keep life a lot calmer. Best of luck, you can do this with the determination you clearly have and the support of some great friends on MFP :-) *Edited to add also - Don't ever feel ashamed to write a post as you have - you should be proud of your courage and example to others with OCD - you've given people an opportunity to discuss an important issue which plenty of people would want to talk about*
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about OCD....but I know meditation is great for relaxation, focus and helping anxiety. this, coupled with some exercise might be a good place to start.
  • luckygrrrl
    luckygrrrl Posts: 35
    Options
    KILL your TV and any other means through which you are receiving this information. I know that it overwhelms me too, that is when I expose myself to it. I don't have cable, so no TV, I don't read the newspaper, and I only listen to the news on the radio when I know I can handle it. As soon as it's too much I TURN IT OFF! I know it's a lot easier to say then do, but if you remove the noise perhaps you can refocus on what is really important. YOU, without you what would your family be, so remember how important it is to take care of yourself and be healthy, not just for you but for your whole family. Good luck to you, hang in there, it's hard, but YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I suffer from misophonia so I understand your plight with the unwanted noise. It makes me feel extremely anxious and I can even have a rage response. I ended a friendship once over the sound her water fountain was making (long story). I do not have children though and I can imagine that makes it even worse. I would suggest ear plugs, which have been a saviour to me, or playing white (or pink) noise through headphones; however, that would make it difficult for you to keep an ear on what your children are doing. One thing you could try are fans or a white noise machine. Just having a fan on in the room helps me a hundred fold.
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    vanessaclarkgbr, You sound just like me as far as running goes. I was not a great runner, but I felt so good when I did it.

crmhaske I have never heard of that before, Thanks for the suggestions!

trulucks, LOL I stopped watching the "news" on tv about a year ago. It was too much for me. I agree, the TV is the worst!

drog2323, I have tried that, I sit there and think about politics! :P

sgv0918 Thanks! I should try to actually use my MP3 player, eh? lol

Thanks everyone. The comments and the simple act of talking errr typing it out has already improved my mood. I appreciate all the comments! Thanks!