Back after plantar fasciitis

Options
Any tips on how to recover and get back to a healthier weight? This is my second round of plantar fasciitis everytime I start to work out and lose 8 to 10 lb then I go down with foot issues or arthritis flare ups. I'm 242#s 5ft4. My goal is 180. I'm also interested in knowing if there are any people in the olive branch Mississippi area that loves to walk or any motivational groups

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I've got foot issues that came about from running. I've been doing low impact cardio videos. Some are killer like the one I did today. Check out pop sugar fitness on youtube. Good luck!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific advice but I can sympathize. I've dealt with plantar fasciitis a few times, most recently for the better part of a year. The best thing I did was invest in good supportive shoes and never walk around barefoot - even in the house.

It is incredibly frustrating to be motivated to do better, do more only to be sidelined with an injury. Maybe have a back up plan for excercise that doesn't involve walking or undue pressure on your feet (or other affected area). Personally, I love to swim and do it regularly in the winter when it's too cold to be walking outside.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis! Ugh. Have it. Hate it. I found the rigid insoles I needed at https://www.theinsolestore.com/ so I can at least wear athletic shoes some of the time but the best for my feet are Sanita (or Dansko) "Professional" clogs. Good luck finding what works for you!
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis a couple of years back. I would agree with the other posters that good supportive footwear is a must. I would suggest talking to a doctor and possibly looking at custom orthotics. This is what I ended up doing and within about 2 weeks, the pain had gone. Orthotics can be expensive so if you have any health coverage look into it.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis is a kitten. The good news is losing weight has nearly cured mine. If I get a flare up rolling a tennis ball under the arch of my foot helps. When it was really bad I exercised in a pool. Don't worry too much about how much you can exercise. You will lose just fine by counting your calories.
  • millea84
    millea84 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have it right now. I like swimming because it is low impact and doesn't cause the pain in my feet. I see a chiropractor who suggested I put a golf ball in the freezer and then standing on it and rolling it under my foot. Warning though, he said it hurts a lot. He suggested using a compress if using the golf ball was too painful.
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar faciitis for 10 years. Ugh. At one point it was so bad I couldn't walk. And I love to be active. Here's what works for me. Always wear shoes with good arches. I never go barefoot. If a shoe doesn't have a good footbed use an orthotic. I like Superfeet but you need to find what works for you. I ice the bottoms of my feet daily. Sometimes more if I've been really active. I don't do high impact workouts. I walk, hike, take spin and body pump classes. Spinning burns a ton of calories. Oh and I stretch my calves and hamstrings regularly. I should be doing that more. Hope this helps.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Also a plantar fasciitis sufferer. I need rigid arch support and found an online store that has a huge selection and lists them by a variety of factors: https://www.theinsolestore.com/

(I'm not associated with them in any way -- just letting folks know about a store I had to hunt for and was glad to find.)
  • Mary90Mary
    Mary90Mary Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with my feet before and right now I'm waiting for my weight to go down before doing exercise that are straining on the feet. I mostly do exercise on stationary bike and elliptical maybe you can do that if you like the gym otherwise if you like to be outdoors you can bike.
  • zannatagged
    zannatagged Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yoga yoga yoga ;) it's great for total body work out and actually burns more than one would think. I have the plantar probs too lol. I do modified yoga since I have spinal disability but there are fabulous beginner to advanced vids on you tube. It's free and you can find stuff in your home to use usually as blocks or mats ;)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cortisone shots worked for me. I also replace my running and walking shoes (do about 10 miles a day) every 90 days. Vionic flip flops have also been great.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    This may sound obvious, but if you are wearing higher heels, you may need to cut that out.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yoga and swimming--much easier on painful arches. I just started having this issue this summer along with back problems-THERE'S a great combo!! There are many things I cannot do which is frustrating because I have lost 12 pounds and then BAM--painful feet, painful back, hips hurting--none of it's good. Swimming and yoga are my answers.
  • TranquilityBreeze
    TranquilityBreeze Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dealing with PF right now on my left foot. I have been going to a chiropractor for mine. I am doing a combination of Shockwave therapy and Graston technique. Between visits I was told to soak my feet in very warm water with Epsom salt. After, I use a golf ball on the bottom of my foot. I also massage the area. I tried a pair of PF inserts for my shoes that I got at a drugstore. I just wanted to see how it felt and it did help. So, I had custom ones made. I was told to buy good, supportive shoes and not to walk barefoot.

As for exercise, I walk the dog and do the stationary bike. After dog walks I do a foot soak as suggested by my Chiro. I also do the stationary bike and it does not hurt my heel. My Chiro has expressed many times to me that if I feel pain it means I need to not do as much that day.

Good luck. PF is not fun... :(

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions. I have PF too so this helps.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I have had in quite a bit . I would try to do C25K and eventually I gave up the idea of running. Remember that all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight but I do weight lifting and it really helped change my physique . I was also told that I need to stretch my calves and hamstrings everyday and not give up the specific plantar fasciitis exercises even when the symptoms go away but easier said than done .

10116386.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I had to put custom orthotics in all shoes to eventually get over it - and backing way off time on feet.

I only bought one through podiatrists - saw how it was done, and did mail order for another pair for sports shoes.
    Traded between shoes.

Once it seemed the pain was gone, walked barefoot around the house, starting at 15 min increments, until the tendon got stronger, slowly but surely.
    Still did roller pin stretches, and ice after a long session of use.

Eventually got to point only kept the inserts in the non-flexible shoes where foot couldn't operate as designed, all flexible shoes no insert.
    weight lost during that long recovery (took almost a year) and eventually was doing barefoot treadmill runs.

Takes time, lots - and so easy to cause a setback - which I did for many many years prior to doing it right.

Dittos to lifting and calorie deficit - though extra weight on feet for squat and deadlift will be just as bad - so need those inserts so the tendon isn't under stress.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've developed plantar fasciitis in the past month or so. Thought my shoes just needed replacing at first so I didn't rest or do anything to help it heal :( I haven't even been doing anything other than gradually building up the lengths of my walks with my dog! But being female, overweight, and walking on hard surfaces can be enough apparently.

I am having to take shorter walks and rest more than I would like, as well as take strong anti inflammatory painkillers, but I am keeping an eye on the scales to see whether I need to adjust my calorie intake. If it comes to it I will just change my activity level to sedentary and eat less to compensate for the lack of exercise. I hope I don't have to do that because enforced sitting around just makes me want to eat from boredom.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Im sad to see Im not the only one. I play competative tennis (USTA) and I've gotten hit with PF for the first time in my life. I think it was a vacation at the beach where I was mostly barefoot/flip flops wearing that triggered it. Being way too overweight doesnt help so I'm on a journey to get a bit healthier.

Since I'm on a team, I can't easily NOT play. I play doubles though so its not quite as grueling as singles play. I do need to get some new shoes. Does anyone have any suggestions? The research Ive done shows that K Swiss Grancourt shoes would work best for my foot but of course they are discontinued.

Other than better shoes and soaking my foot in ice water with epsom slats, any ideas?
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @hap2go there's a whole thread right now in the "general health, fitness, and diet" forum about plantar fasciitis. Lots of good tips. You should check it out! I hope you feel better soon!