Sucking in Stomach while Jogging/Walking - Is it okay?

Options
Is it okay to hold in (suck in) your stomach will jogging/walking?

I am doing the C25K program and I was wondering while completing my exercise if it is okay/beneficial if I hold/engage my stomach while doing it...Thanks!

M.

Replies

• cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    that will help to build/workout your core strength!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    just remember to breath
  • JoseMedina21
    JoseMedina21 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I believe so, about 10 years ago when I used to do Tae-bo, Billy would always say engage and tightened your core. Don't over do it, especially if you are not use to it.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Not "sucking in", but tightening your abdominal muscles helps with your posture as well as working the abdominal muscle.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I recently heard this recommended and I have to say anything that is going to alter your natural form for no good reason just can't be a good thing. If you suck in your stomach you may start to change your stride which could eventually lead to knee problems or who knows what. Add some strength training to your program if you want to add so strength to your core.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Whelp, once you start breathing through your belly it will be virtually impossible to suck in your belly, but until then, if you can do it, I suppose it's good for your muscles in that area. lol. I usually find myself struggling enough to get through the workout (also c25k w5d3) that it doesn't matter.. Today I had to start belly breathing...but it helped me establish a good rhythm.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Make sure that whatever you do you keep a correct posture otherwise you'll be doing more harm then good.

Have fun out there!
  • madelinescheihing
    Options
    I was in Bikram Yoga about two weeks ago, and my teacher told the class Bikram once said, "If you don't like what you see, suck it in."
  • vickigee
    vickigee Posts: 36
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ncuneo

Fantastic job. Keep it up. You can do it. You really have come a long way :-)
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The difficulty here will be proper diaphragmatic breathing, which isn't really possible to do while you are engaging your abdominal muscles like that.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Not "sucking in", but tightening your abdominal muscles helps with your posture as well as working the abdominal muscle.

That's what I was going to say. I wouldn't 'suck it in' per se.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what you want to do. That way, you are strengthening your stomache muscles. Plus, by doing this, you are holding everything in place, so the organ bouncing doesn't interfere with your breathging.

This is what Cross-Country coaches stress to their runners. Keep that tummy tight.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am so busy just trying to put one foot in front of the other...sucking in the gut is way down on the list of things to do.... LOL I do try to remember to run standing up straight...and that in itself tucks the gut a bit.....have fun.....