Protein Powder Iced Coffee Suggestions?

Options
jordanreeser97
jordanreeser97 Posts: 1 Member
This morning I tried making my everyday iced coffee. Nescafe, ice, milk, water, which I shake in a bottle and chill. It usually turns out great but this morning I added a serving of vanilla whey protein in order to try to add some more protein to my morning routine.

Everything about the coffee is the same: consistency, color, etc., but now there is just a heavy taste of whey and artificial tasting vanilla, and it's pretty gross to say the least. I put the same amount in as I do for smoothies.

This is the first time I've tried this, so if anyone has any recipes or suggestions that taste better please share!

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try this. Thanks for reminding me! I mixed up 8 oz of cold brew with 23g or 4 tbsp of unflavored whey from the bulk bin at Winco. It's really good, but maybe the coffee could be stronger. Pretty close to an iced latte. I think you need better tasting protein powder, maybe another scoop of coffee. I'm throwing a square of chocolate in there next time.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I tried this a few times hot coffee it was good but iced coffee it never mixed in all the way and there were big globs of protein powder. I was thinking next time I would try blending it and make a sort of frap.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree about trying a better tasting protein powder, I've had good luck with Syntrax Nectar, they have a cappuccino flavor that works well with my cold brew coffee. I also use unsweetened vanilla almond or cashew milk instead of regular milk. A hint of that vanilla flavor helps the taste of my protein coffee and it's lower in calories than milk.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never had any luck with protein powder in coffee, so I started trying coffee flavored protein powders (that are caffeinated) and became obsessed with Chike Nutrition (their mocha being my favorite). I also tried Click, but they weren't nearly as good.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I've never had any luck with protein powder in coffee, so I started trying coffee flavored protein powders (that are caffeinated) and became obsessed with Chike Nutrition (their mocha being my favorite). I also tried Click, but they weren't nearly as good.

Chike is great, and IIRC their nutritional profile is better than Click's, too. Definitely recommend.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bleh!
  • MicheleB105
    MicheleB105 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can't do whey. Garden Of Life makes an amazing vegan protein powder in several flavors. So my iced coffee is 1 c. Cold brew, .5 c. coconut water, .5 c. coconut unsweetened milk and .5 scoop chocolate GOL (full scoop if meal replacement) Hope you find a new coffee concoction you really enjoy. Have a great day☺
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I make my shake - 4oz almond milk, 4oz of water, 2 scoops EAS whey protein, and then nescafe instant mix its more like a coffee protein shake but eh it works
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't like to drink my coffee sweetened, so I make cold brew coffee pout it over ice, mix in either almond of regular milk and if I need protein which I usually do I add liquid pasteurized egg whites. Sounds gross but you can't taste it and I enjoy my coffee so much more than if it had whey protein powder in it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I put ice, cold brew and 1/2 scoop PEScience Snickerdoodle 1/2 scoop vitacost whole meal shake, 1/4tsp xanthan gum in my Nutriblender. Its really good, especially with a little frozen banana. Quest Salted Caramel protein powder is also delicious with coffee (with or without banana). Are you using a blender? Use a blender with ice, its so much better than a shaker drink over ice.
  • rainyday1132
    rainyday1132 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Click but a couple of people have suggested Chike. I will definitely be checking those out.