Breathing through nose when running

Options
How do you do it?! I'm trying really hard to fix my breathing while running, and I just can't breathe through my nose. It starts to burn eventually, and I can't get enough air into my lungs. Is this something I have to build up?

Replies

• ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to breathe through your nose???? oh my stars I am lucky to get enough air breathing through my mouth....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What's the background here? Am I supposed to breath through my nose when running? I'm almost positive that I breath through my mouth, but next time I run, I'll check.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Why? Breathe through both. You're limiting your air a LOT by only breathing through your nose.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I am no expert - not even close - but I have heard that its okay to breath through your mouth as long as you are comfortable. The friend who told me this runs all the time. I have not researched it at all though.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Do you breathe through your nose when you're sedentary? If you don't--maybe if you consciously try to fix that when you're not active, it will help make it easier when you are? Not sure that it will work, but it's a thought...

I know that I try to take really deep breaths to fill my lungs as best I can... I imagine it will take some time to build stamina that way...keep trying!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth when I run.
  • azdvlz5
    azdvlz5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that you were supposed to breathe through your nose....I breathe through my mouth...I think I would pass out from lack of oxygen if I tried just my nose.
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    Breath in through your nose, out through your mouth. It helps regulate your breathing and allows for maximum air into your lungs to help you while running.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    How do you do it?! I'm trying really hard to fix my breathing while running, and I just can't breathe through my nose. It starts to burn eventually, and I can't get enough air into my lungs. Is this something I have to build up?

Stop trying. At some point, when intensity increases, you get the best ventilation by breathing through the nose and the mouth.

Some runners get totally goofy and obsessive about breathing. What you want to do is learn to relax your arms and upper body (but keep the wrists straight). That will help both your running and breathing.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth when I run, too... I've tried the in through the nose thing... and my nose is usually stuffy... so it doesn't work so much for me.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I find myself always breathing through my mouth as well. I get a stuffy now when running too.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Breath in through your nose, out through your mouth. It helps regulate your breathing and allows for maximum air into your lungs to help you while running.

Ditto on this!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When running, you're actually supposed to breath through your nose AND mouth at a steady tempo. If you only breath in through your nose, you are limiting your oxygen intake and will probably not be able to run as far or as fast as you would if you breathe through both.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    If you have ever met or run with a marathon runner or advanced runner , you can't hear them breathing at all while running. It's crazy! As for running and breathing through your mouth versus nose, I say whatever is comfortable. I breath through my mouth and nose but you can't hear me either way. If you want to try breathing through your nose, bread. Next time you run put a few slices of bread in your mouth while you run. It forces you to breath through your nose. Sounds crazy but it works.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just read somewhere on Runner's World yesterday, that you should breathe through your mouth when your first start out running. (it was among several beginning runners articles I read). I suggest going to their site and doing research on it. I breathe through my mouth when I run, and I chew sugar free gum to keep my mouth from drying out (though there's probably something devastatingly wrong with that! :laugh: ).
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum to keep my mouth from drying out (though there's probably something devastatingly wrong with that! :laugh: ).

Oh - my friend! Don't choke on your gum!!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    A million years ago when I was fit and active and used to run, I would breath in-in, through the nose then out-out through the mouth. I was focusing on my pace and breathing the whole time. But I don't think it really made a difference! As long as you are breathing and keep moving. That technique was taught to me by an army man, so who knows?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

This is what I've been trying to do, but I still struggle. I'm just trying to find a better way to breathe because breathing is what keeps me from running. My posture is great, and I've tried counting and just going with how my body says to breathe, but nothing's been working.

My doctor advised me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth (for the reasons quoted above).