Options
2»

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Check it out.

I did a quick search, and there it was.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10273-muscle-does-not-weigh-more-than-fat

Amazing how everyone has similar thought processes in this, isn't it? I thing it's pretty cool. The people may change, but we all start out with the same problems. :happy:

I knew there were plenty of people here that knew all this, but I keep seeing little comments about it in different threads. So for the sake of knowledge I thought I'd reiterate. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Check it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10273-muscle-does-not-weigh-more-than-fat

Amazing how everyone has similar thought processes in this, isn't it? I thing it's pretty cool. The people may change, but we all start out with the same problems. :happy:

I knew there were plenty of people here that knew all this, but I keep seeing little comments about it in different threads. So for the sake of knowledge I thought I'd reiterate. :wink:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining Rach, just thought it was funny in a scientific observation of human nature sort of way. I.E. no matter how many people "walk in the door" of MFP, all of us start out with similar ideas and concepts.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Check it out.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining Rach, just thought it was funny in a scientific observation of human nature sort of way. I.E. no matter how many people "walk in the door" of MFP, all of us start out with similar ideas and concepts.

Oh, I know you're not complaining. I gotcha! :flowerforyou:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Check it out.

you're even cuter when you say things like "I.E." :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    You are correct! Thanks for that visual picture.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Check it out.

you're even cuter when you say things like "I.E." :flowerforyou: :smooched:

Now my day is complete. :tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Finally someone I can agree with :laugh: :wink:
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    Okay I got one. I was doing good with the diet right. Losing weight. I would add a workout tape in every once in a while right. Still losing. Then I got a free week at the local gym and bam I gained like 3 lbs. I was burning more calories and eating most of them. For like the first 5 days the scale didn't budge. So
    I am thinking It is water retention in my body. Is that about right?
    Can't afford a gym membership so gonna still do it at home. But loved the Elliptical.
    Just wanting to see if my theory is right.
    Drink water water water.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Okay I got one. I was doing good with the diet right. Losing weight. I would add a workout tape in every once in a while right. Still losing. Then I got a free week at the local gym and bam I gained like 3 lbs. I was burning more calories and eating most of them. For like the first 5 days the scale didn't budge. So
    I am thinking It is water retention in my body. Is that about right?
    Can't afford a gym membership so gonna still do it at home. But loved the Elliptical.
    Just wanting to see if my theory is right.
    Drink water water water.

sometimes a change to food or workout routines can shock your body. It could have taken more than 5 days for your body to realize you were working out harder, it just realized you were eating a few hundred more calories and hung onto them for dear life!

I've been at this for a year, and if I've learned anything, it's to be patient! I didn't gain 60 lbs in one week or one month, so I can't expect to lose them that way, either!
  • PolarQueen
    Options
    Thanks that makes since. I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong. Like enjoying the extra calories. lol
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that I am in the minority on this one, but since we all agree that muscle is far more dense than fat, why is everyone so worried about their weight on the scale? I remember a few years back, the famous female bodybuilder Cory Everson said to throw away the scale and just look in the mirror! She is correct! What does it matter what you weigh, if your body composition has changed for the better? The scale cannot tell you how much fat or muscle weight you have (neither does the BMI)
    , so why use the scale at all? I have freinds who are constantly weighing themselves, only to fret over a pound or two fluctuation on the scale. My life is stressful enough without it! Whew, thanks for letting me vent on this subject.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm sure that I am in the minority on this one, but since we all agree that muscle is far more dense than fat, why is everyone so worried about their weight on the scale? I remember a few years back, the famous female bodybuilder Cory Everson said to throw away the scale and just look in the mirror! She is correct! What does it matter what you weigh, if your body composition has changed for the better? The scale cannot tell you how much fat or muscle weight you have (neither does the BMI)
    , so why use the scale at all? I have freinds who are constantly weighing themselves, only to fret over a pound or two fluctuation on the scale. My life is stressful enough without it! Whew, thanks for letting me vent on this subject.

I'm glad you brought this up. it's an important point that many people dismiss. Your weight is meaningless as anything except for an indicator to improving your health. I may be the same height, and have the exact same measurements (chest excluded) from a woman my age, but I could be 20 to 30 lbs heavier. It's all base on the fact that males have genetically more muscle mass (in most muscle groups). What does this mean? It means that you can tell yourself all you want that you need to lose that last 10 lbs, but I submit that what you really want is to LOOK and feel like you lost that last 10 lbs! which could entail nothing more then working out CORRECTLY as well as eating the correct nutrition and caloric amount to do so.
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    yeah the "sacred" scale.

there's a fine line between measuring one's progress/health and becoming obsessed. especially in this cultural climate - the pressure is on to look fabulous (a/k/a skinny!). pretty sad - but i think it's common to fall victim to this mindset when you are constantly conscious of taking baby steps to make yourself healthier in the long run.

if anyone knows a trick for getting this right -- please let me know!! :ohwell:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    yeah the "sacred" scale.

there's a fine line between measuring one's progress/health and becoming obsessed. especially in this cultural climate - the pressure is on to look fabulous (a/k/a skinny!). pretty sad - but i think it's common to fall victim to this mindset when you are constantly conscious of taking baby steps to make yourself healthier in the long run.

sure, throw away your scale. I'm dead serious. Chuck it. Take a picture of yourself in your undies, hide it (well, you don't want to find it on Facebook someday), and in a month take another one, take the first one out, and compare. THAT is a good way to measure your progress.
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    [Take a picture of yourself in your undies, hide it (well, you don't want to find it on Facebook someday),

:laugh: great suggestion but I don't think I'd want to find it..... EVER...

someone (on this thread?) mentioned telling her son to hide the scale! which is also a good idea. for now, i am just going to go Cold Turkey... :sick: No scale for 1 week (like the 'patch'... to ease the withdrawal symptoms)

worth a shot!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    yeah the "sacred" scale.

sure, throw away your scale. I'm dead serious. Chuck it. Take a picture of yourself in your undies, hide it (well, you don't want to find it on Facebook someday), and in a month take another one, take the first one out, and compare. THAT is a good way to measure your progress.

So do you have one of those pictures?...:blushing: