Strength training at home ?

Eva_M97
Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
Hey! At the moment I'm unable to go to the gym and while cardio is easy to handle without the gym I'm not 100 % sure if my home workout for strength training is effective enough, currently I do most exercises with body weight and higher repetition and a few excercises with weights and moderate repetitions (like with weights maybe 30 squats). I know the Internet is full of workout routines but I was wondering if any of you could recommend something specific or give advice?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    startbodyweight.com has a good basic bodyweight training plan. It lists a bunch of different progressions as well. Other than that, I have read that both You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are good programs too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It's hard to give specific advice without knowing what specifically u want. There are tons of progressions/regressions for bodyweight movements, but without knowing where you are on the spectrum, it's hard to say what to do. Some good resources are convict conditioning, al kavadlo, gmb, gymnastics bodies, nerd fitness.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    There's a book I use: Strength Training; Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano. It has exercises for all fitness levels, muscles, and muscle groups and provides suggested numbers for sets/weights/reps at 3 levels. Also includes sample workouts.

The focus is primarily on dumbbells and body weight. I'd recommend a stability ball and cardio step, too, though there are plenty of exercises in there that don't require them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Have you got enough space to have a weights rack?

You should be able to get one with some spotter bars pretty cheaply second hand and the same for a basic free weights setup. Weights can often be got for free if you don't mind vinyl weights.
  • Eva_M97
    Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
    Ok thanks I'll be looking these up, and yeah just to clarify I'm not a very muscular person, slightly overweight, and in excercise my main goals are in running so I'm not trying to build lots of muscle, just to keep healthy and strong and as a part of my weight loss.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    It's hard to give specific advice without knowing what specifically u want. There are tons of progressions/regressions for bodyweight movements, but without knowing where you are on the spectrum, it's hard to say what to do. Some good resources are convict conditioning, al kavadlo, gmb, gymnastics bodies, nerd fitness.

Gymnastics bodies, thanks for the reminder, I need to get back to working my planche progressions.

Good news is I can do a frogstand for 30+ seconds. Bad news... I always get stuck on the stiff arm unsupported.