Just a rant really....

Options
Single mom, full time job, none stop busy but I make time to exercise at least 3-4 times a week on my lunch hour or right after work before picking up kids. Have steadily lost 8 lbs in almost a year (only wanted to lose 10-12lbs max).. but has gained a ton of muscle and I look really really good and I am happy and I could easily go into maintenance.

No real issue with eating - I always eat around 1300-1400 calories a day during the week and that is just because I have always eaten well and do not crave naughty food often. Weekends I like to drink beer and enjoy myself but that might be the reason for me only losing 8 lbs - that and probably muscle gain since my workouts are all weights - very little cardio. Not concerned about that though.

My issue/rant/whine/b*tch/complaint is.. sometimes I just cant keep up with the whole working out thing and I will go weeks without working out (like right now).... I do this usually around Christmas time and then again summer time where I am just not feeling it AT. ALL. I feel exhausted and not exhausted from working out physically.. but from waking up, getting kids ready, packing lunch, dropping kids off to school, work, pick up kids, make dinner, clean, clean... clean clean clean.. laundry.. clean.. groceries.. visit family/friends.. play date.. kids swimming lessons.. clean..

How do you ladies and gents do it?! I mean, I know I should listen to my body, and I know I should take breaks when I need it, and not be so hard on myself.. and blah blah blah.. but you know when you just get in that funk.. and it takes forever to get out of it? How do you get out of it? Usually for me its the weight gain lol

Really I just want a six pack (of beer right now - but no seriously a real six pack) but with my inconsistent work outs I will never get one!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

I just have nothing better to do in my down time. Sometimes fitness routines require sacrifice and prioritization. Sounds like you're juggling a lot. There's not much you can do other than try to re prioritize the things you have control over.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I start with 10 min...usually once I get past the first 10 min in any given day, then I feel better and more energetic for the whole rest of the day...if you can find 10 min every day, it might just make a world of difference.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to have times during the year when you're more energetic and workout more and other times when you need rest instead. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Not too many people exercise at exactly the same intensity year-round. I know I don't.

Life is busy with kids, jobs, housework, etc. but I'd take a close look at anything that you can possibly eliminate or cut back on (extra kids activities or structured play dates) or things you can delegate and get help with (such as house work). Other than that it's all about eating fewer calories than you burn so if you're less active you'll need to eat a bit less.

Maybe if you didn't stress yourself out about timed, structured workouts the eating less occasionally wouldn't seem so bad? IDK, just a suggestion.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Adulting is so much and there's days where i finally get peace and quiet... my happy getting littler butt is gonna sit on the couch, watch bad tv, and have drinks.

That being said...I know its a short break... then i'm back at the gym.

I don't know which feeling is better... after a workout... or after a few drinks :blush:
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find that thing you love. I'm the dad of a 3 and 5 year old and I am equally active in care taking of them and household duties as my wife. I also work full time. So my time is obviously limited...

However, my training is my thing. I love it. Crave it, and spend a large amount of time finding ways to fit more of it in here and there.

Too me, that's the key. If you love it you are more likely to find creative ways to get it in.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's normal to go through slumps. I'd try to find something you can do easily at home. I did the Body Beast workout when I hit a cardio slump ( cardio being my preferred activity). Can you commit to walking the kids around the block for 20 min several times a week after dinner and before baths, TV, homework, etc ? That would get you out and exercising, without the stress of planning it. If you have a family dinner that is.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I would make a deal with myself to do 50% or 66% of my workout just to keep my habit in place. Sometimes I would finish the entire workout once started. Sometime I would deliberately stop at the lesser workout to prove I wasn't just trying to trick myself.

I worked out at a gym. But I had a home backup for days when I just couldn't drag myself to the gym. There's lots of bodyweight workouts on YouTube. I'm in the something is better than nothing camp.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I think we all have our own time constraints and fitting in structured exercise can be tough.

I also think a lot of us have slumps, I know I do.

I have 2 home routines, 15 min tops, one dumbbell, one body weight. If I do nothing else I do one of those and a 30 min walk.
    I am just doing a slow recomp with no goal of a 6 pack though.

If your goal is to lose a couple more lbs and get a 6 pack you have to build a workout routine around that- even if it is just a 15 min work out at home some days.

You may have to cut back a bit on the weekend too if it is not helping towards your goal. It is up to you to decide what you want most, what it will take to achieve it, and if it is worth it to you.

I know I decided earlier this year my social life was more important than chasing a 6 pack- for me it would be hard to achieve and even harder to maintain. I may in the future chase that dream, but not now. Having a strong healthy body will do fine.

Cheers, h.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    Single mom, full time job, none stop busy but I make time to exercise at least 3-4 times a week on my lunch hour or right after work before picking up kids. Have steadily lost 8 lbs in almost a year (only wanted to lose 10-12lbs max).. but has gained a ton of muscle and I look really really good and I am happy and I could easily go into maintenance.

No real issue with eating - I always eat around 1300-1400 calories a day during the week and that is just because I have always eaten well and do not crave naughty food often. Weekends I like to drink beer and enjoy myself but that might be the reason for me only losing 8 lbs - that and probably muscle gain since my workouts are all weights - very little cardio. Not concerned about that though.

My issue/rant/whine/b*tch/complaint is.. sometimes I just cant keep up with the whole working out thing and I will go weeks without working out (like right now).... I do this usually around Christmas time and then again summer time where I am just not feeling it AT. ALL. I feel exhausted and not exhausted from working out physically.. but from waking up, getting kids ready, packing lunch, dropping kids off to school, work, pick up kids, make dinner, clean, clean... clean clean clean.. laundry.. clean.. groceries.. visit family/friends.. play date.. kids swimming lessons.. clean..

How do you ladies and gents do it?! I mean, I know I should listen to my body, and I know I should take breaks when I need it, and not be so hard on myself.. and blah blah blah.. but you know when you just get in that funk.. and it takes forever to get out of it? How do you get out of it? Usually for me its the weight gain lol

Really I just want a six pack (of beer right now - but no seriously a real six pack) but with my inconsistent work outs I will never get one!

The last 2 or 3 months is the most consistent I have eaten well or worked out in a long time. cardiovascular I don't mind, but I hate lifting weights. I just force myself to do it. I don't like it, but I just do it. I'm not a disciplined type, so I have had to really work at this.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You have a ton on your plate. I think it's ok to take a break every now and then as long as you maintain your weight and remember that it's a break and get back to it soon. Is there any way you can weight train from home? Maybe get some dumbbells?
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a 7 minute workout program from Brett Kilka and Chris Jordan.it is HICT.If nothing else try that.I think it was like $1.99
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    wow! same exact thing here.. i will be super on track with workouts but then after a few weeks i am back off track and skipping workouts . then before i know it its been 3 weeks. between kids, work, husband and other family responsibilities, kids activities, i just cant muster the motivation to stick to my routine. and when my food or exercise routine is off then it automatically affects the other lol.. then comes the weight gain! i just gained 20 lbs back of the weight i lost..
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    wow! same exact thing here.. i will be super on track with workouts but then after a few weeks i am back off track and skipping workouts . then before i know it its been 3 weeks. between kids, work, husband and other family responsibilities, kids activities, i just cant muster the motivation to stick to my routine. and when my food or exercise routine is off then it automatically affects the other lol.. then comes the weight gain! i just gained 20 lbs back of the weight i lost..

This is why I love the MFP community, everyone here keeps me on track!
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Unicorn - it is super tough.. and the crazy thing about it - I have been back at it now all week by doing some sort of workout everyday and it feels sooooooooooo good!

I tend to check the scale way more often than I should - but after a week or so of noticing my weight gain (even if its fluctuation) it is the motivation I need to get back on track.

And yes MrsBecca - MFP surely does give you the motivation and incentive to stay on track.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It happens. I try to work my way back out slowly by doing gentle yoga videos at home then increasing the intensity of workouts til I am back at it.