Messed up sweet potato fries

camckinney
camckinney Posts: 61 Member
edited 11:49AM in Recipes
So, I tried a new recipe for baked sweet potato fries. They didn't turn out crispy at all. In fact, trying to wait for them to be crispy the bottom burnt. What am I doing wrong?

I cut up 2 sweet potato's, seasoned, coated with olive oil, and baked at 450.

Replies

• kitten7911
    kitten7911 Posts: 49 Member
    bake at 350 and turn them over
  • camckinney
    Will they crisp up or am I expecting too much :)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    I have found that if you want them crispy you have to cut them very thin and broil them for a few minutes, turn them over and broil some more. Keep your eye on them cause they will burn fast.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Will they crisp up or am I expecting too much :)

I would also like to know.. every time I make them they are always flimsy. The only time they came out crispy is when they were just about burnt lol.
  • kitten7911
    kitten7911 Posts: 49 Member
    they will but it takes a bit. flipping them over half way through will do it. cut them thinner, that has worked for me! about 20 min to 30 min. good luck. add a bit of parmesan cheese when done, so good and only 20 cals per serving for cheese. yum yum!!!!! :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Trying to turn regular potatoes into fries always seems to yield flimsy fries, too. I often wonder if you need to freeze them first or something to make them crisp. Or fry them in oil. :noway:
  • cblack51
    cblack51 Posts: 20
    You might try this hope it works;

After drizzling with olive oil and seasoning potatoes, spray pan, spread the fries out in a single layer large baking sheet. Bake the first 20 min. on 400,.then turn the fries over using a spatula, and cook for another 15-20 min. on 425. or until they are all crispy on the outside and tender inside. Thinner fries may not take as long.
  • camckinney
    Thanks everyone. I will try all the suggestions and keep working at it. They taste really good, so I really want to perfect it.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    yuk! think I will just stick with mine baked whole: start with a

cookie sheet, cover with foil, put your sweets on top, (no oil)!

pierce each with a fork a couple times before placing

into your preheated oven set to 350 degrees and

bake until they are just soft and start to weep from piercings

...about 40 minutes.

enjoy seasoned or plain:flowerforyou:

found this article on the sweet potato, thought you might be interested!

Nine Reasons Why You Should Eat Sweet Potatoes

1. Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants, which work in the body to prevent inflammatory problems like asthma, arthritis, gout, and many more.

2. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates for those with blood sugar problems. These fibrous root vegetables can help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent conditions like insulin resistance.

3. Sweet potatoes are healthy for the digestive tract. Being rich in digestive fiber, especially when the skin is also consumed, it helps to relieve constipation and may prevent colon cancer.

4. Sweet potatoes are good for those who are pregnant or trying to conceive because they are high in folate, which is essential for the healthy development of fetal cell and tissue.

5. Packed with important vitamins and other nutrients, eating sweet potatoes can boost immunity by supporting the needs of the body.

6. Sweet potatoes are good for preventing heart disease. High in potassium, sweet potatoes can help prevent the onset of heart attack and stroke. Potassium also helps to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, which is important for stabilizing blood pressure and regulating heart function.

7. Sweet potatoes are good for alleviating muscle cramps. Potassium deficiencies are a leading cause of muscle cramps, as well injuries. By making sweet potatoes a regular part of your diet (along with proper exercise), you can expect an energy boost and fewer muscle cramps and injuries.

8. Sweet potatoes are good for treating stress-related symptoms. The body tends to use a lot of potassium and other important minerals when it is under stress. Sweet potatoes provide important minerals that will help maintain balance throughout the body during times of stress.

9. Sweet potatoes ranked number one in nutrition out of all vegetables by the Center for Science in the Public Interest because they are such a rich source of dietary fiber, natural sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, carotenoids, vitamin C, iron and calcium.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031543_sweet_potatoes_minerals.html#ixzz1TRzAsk2d
  • camckinney
    yuk! think I will just stick with mine baked whole: start with a

cookie sheet, cover with foil, put your sweets on top, (no oil)!

pierce each with a fork a couple times before placing

into your preheated oven set to 350 degrees and

bake until they are just soft and start to weep from piercings

...about 40 minutes.

enjoy seasoned or plain:flowerforyou:

found this article on the sweet potato, thought you might be interested!

Nine Reasons Why You Should Eat Sweet Potatoes

1. Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants, which work in the body to prevent inflammatory problems like asthma, arthritis, gout, and many more.

2. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates for those with blood sugar problems. These fibrous root vegetables can help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent conditions like insulin resistance.

3. Sweet potatoes are healthy for the digestive tract. Being rich in digestive fiber, especially when the skin is also consumed, it helps to relieve constipation and may prevent colon cancer.

4. Sweet potatoes are good for those who are pregnant or trying to conceive because they are high in folate, which is essential for the healthy development of fetal cell and tissue.

5. Packed with important vitamins and other nutrients, eating sweet potatoes can boost immunity by supporting the needs of the body.

6. Sweet potatoes are good for preventing heart disease. High in potassium, sweet potatoes can help prevent the onset of heart attack and stroke. Potassium also helps to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, which is important for stabilizing blood pressure and regulating heart function.

7. Sweet potatoes are good for alleviating muscle cramps. Potassium deficiencies are a leading cause of muscle cramps, as well injuries. By making sweet potatoes a regular part of your diet (along with proper exercise), you can expect an energy boost and fewer muscle cramps and injuries.

8. Sweet potatoes are good for treating stress-related symptoms. The body tends to use a lot of potassium and other important minerals when it is under stress. Sweet potatoes provide important minerals that will help maintain balance throughout the body during times of stress.

9. Sweet potatoes ranked number one in nutrition out of all vegetables by the Center for Science in the Public Interest because they are such a rich source of dietary fiber, natural sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, carotenoids, vitamin C, iron and calcium.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031543_sweet_potatoes_minerals.html#ixzz1TRzAsk2d

That's awesome about sweet potato's. I never knew all that. Definitely want to keep trying them until they are perfect.
This discussion has been closed.