Creatine????

Options
I'm a 5'11 male who currently weighs 64 kgs.
I'm already taking a weight gainer as a supplement. I have gained around 15 kgs in 5 months.
Should I take creatine as I want to gain another 10 to 12 kgs. Is it worth the buy?
Also, tell me if you know anything muscletech's cell tech.

Replies

• NASAbound
    NASAbound Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The Barbell Shrugged podcast/YouTube channel has a great episode on creatine and all it's benefits. It's one of the most well studied supplements on the market and there are very few downsides to taking it (it does promote some water retention, but since you're not cutting it shouldn't be a big deal for you).
    I think it's definitely worth the buy - it's pretty inexpensive ($15 on Amazon for a decent sized tub) and I find it helps me recover from a hard workout much faster.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Creatine, it's dirt cheap and it does work a little bit...just keep you expectations of its effects to a minimum. Once it's in your system you will likely see a small bump in weight (due to water retention) and maybe a rep or two extra on your lifts, but it's not something that is going to make you gain huge amounts of weight...that will come from a continued calorie surplus.

I currently use muscletech platinum creatine...i'd go with that over the expensive cell tech stuff you reference.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Dirt cheap. Rare, if any side effects. Boosts performance a little. I take 5g a day.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »
    I'm already taking a weight gainer as a supplement. I have gained around 15 kgs in 5 months.
    Should I take creatine as I want to gain another 10 to 12 kgs. Is it worth the buy?

You will gain a few pound initially - but it's water retention and when you stop using it *poof* it's gone. However, it's safe, cheap and is one of the few supplements that actually works for most people. The typical side effect some experience is loose stools. I found that if I mix it with hot water and drink it that way the chances of a rear blowout seem less. ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

You will gain a few pound initially - but it's water retention and when you stop using it *poof* it's gone. However, it's safe, cheap and is one of the few supplements that actually works for most people. The typical side effect some experience is loose stools. I found that if I mix it with hot water and drink it that way the chances of a rear blowout seem less. ;)

I've also found that as I increase load and duration of activity and make sure I'm carbing with my dose that reduces risk as well.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

There are different types of Creatine out there, I use a Creatine blend instead of the old school powdery Monohydrate. IF you're trying to bulk up, it gives you that water retention which helps bulk you up, it also helps me feel stronger, not sure if that's mental or legit. I like Creatine personally, and the downsides to me aren't so bad. If you have healthy kidneys, Creatine won't really mess with your kidneys too much as long as you drink plenty of water on a daily basis.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dat-dere-celltech

bffpab2cs509.jpg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    OP: It works for some and not for others.

I Ttook 5mg daily for 5 months. No noticeble benefits or deficits. stopped taking it w/o any noticeble changes in wt, energy,strength or anything else.

Not saying it won't work for you. Only way to find out is to buy some, ingest 5mg daily for at least 3 months and decide for yourself if it helps you or not.
  • kvfitnesslog
    kvfitnesslog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it's best if you load the first week at 10mg and go 5mg maintenance daily from there on out (what I did)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Is it worth the buy?

it's worth it for me, for totally different reasons from yours.

it just makes me more comfortable. i'm 52 and have rheumatoid arthritis, so anything that encourages my muscles to suck water into themselves [to store the atp] and feel less stringy and tight and more 'smooth' is worth it.

i function better when i'm on creatine, and better function means i'm better able to be consistent in doing workouts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The first time i tried it, i was getting terrible stomach cramping. I may try it again if you start plateauing but not until then
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Did nothing for me except waste money.

Dial in your diet and workouts and you'll see the results.