Trying to get serious about running

Options
Hi to all you runners out there.

I'm really really wanting to properly get into running - not just in terms of fitness, but also as a hobby.

The thing is, I'm really struggling on a beginners training programme. I've heard of the c25K programme, although from what I gather that is really for outdoors, as opposed to on a treadmill. It's winter here in NZ, and I'm a bit nervous of running in public at the moment so I want to get myself into running on the treadmill first (if that makes sense).

Has anyone any basic tips, or even better a basic training programme I could start with to build up my stamina? I'm not massively overweight (5'4'' around 133lbs) but I need to get fitter. I've been doing the calorie burn programmes on the treadmill on high levels and can do that for an hour no problem - my issue seems to be finding a pace with running, as I tend to bolt it and then collapse after a few minutes.

Today I did a little better - I managed to walk 1min, run (speed 8.9 treadmill) for 5 minutes - but I really need a proper training programme or idea what to do, as I want to keep this up.

Advice gratefully received!

H :)

Replies

• nurse_carolyn
    Options
    bump.......wanna learn more too:)
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    coolrunning.com has all kinds of programs you can pick from depending on where you are at
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi there, great idea to get into running - I've been doing it since January and love it!!
    C25K will work fine on a treadmill, I did it outside but lots of people who started when I did were running inside.
    Go for it!!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you go to the C25k website, they have a program specifically for treadmills. That's what I'm going to be starting next week.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I used a treadmill at a hotel recently that had an interval program on it. I set it at my run (3 min)/walk (1 min) intervals and the speeds I use for each (3.5 MPH walking and 5.4 MPH running) and away I went. No reason why you can't use it to do the C25K program. If your treadmill doesn't have an intervals setting, just manually adjust the speed to your preferred running speed for the amount of time you need to run and when it's time to walk, adjust the speed to 3.5 MPH or whatever speed you walk at.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just run in short intervals until you can slowly increase your time jogging. No one starts off jogging miles at a time. Believe me I went from not being able to jog a lap around a track to completing a 10 mile run the other night.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I usually run outside. but have used the treadmill for the C25K---I dont have interval settings so I just increased and decreased the speed when the little lady told me to....I do have an incline--so randomly changed the incline too-just to simulate being outside ...

you can do it...
  • Baroness
    Baroness Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi to another NZer!!!
    C25K is an awesome program, give it a go, start on the treadmill and then run outside on fine days.
    Cant go wrong with C25K.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you're trying to run too fast. Try a slower pace that you can keep for the necessary time, fast comes later. I did the first 8 weeks of the C25K on the treadmill using the program on my smartphone, my pace never went over 6 on the treadmill and that was my "sprint". Yeah, I'm slow, you don't have to be as slow as me. :laugh:
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can use the Pod Runner interval program(s) They are free. If you run without music then you can either use an app that does Tabata style intervals, or purchase a GymBoss. I looooooooove my GymBoss. I started with one minute of running, two minutes of walking ect... I haven't been doing it very long, but noticed HUUUUGE improvements in my fitness and speed last night on a trail run.
  • jeannicole
    jeannicole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I been running my entire life, the past 5 years I've been entering races, 5 & 10k's and half marathons. What I do is just set the treadmill for a specified amount of time ex: 30 minutes then run without stopping, even if you have to go very slow like a 4.0 pace. Just keep at it daily and you will see that your pace will quicken. Or for people that are heavier I would set the treadmill for 45 minutes, jog 5 min and 1-2 min walk then back to jogging 5 min. I lost a lot of weight doing that before and built endurance. What you need as you've said is a pace, by making yourself endure a specified goal amount of time you will have to pace yourself. Good luck!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started "running" (a term I use loosely) with the C25K program and found it very helpful. As promised, it took me all the way to my first 5K. I fell off during the Chicago winter, but bounced back by doing intervals. Starting off with longer walking intervals than running and then increasing the running portion each week. I might suggest doing 2 minutes of walking and 1 minute of jogging at a slightly higher pace, but not a sprint. Work on running time first and not speed. Not sure what kind of phone you have and what apps you can get in NZ but I use an app called Interval Timer. It lets me set my interval times and alerts me when it's time to switch so I don't have to constantly check a watch. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice and keep up the good work!
  • kjpollard
    kjpollard Posts: 68
    Options
    Hello from GA...It's hot as blazes here! I was in NZ (Christchurch and Queenstown) 11 yrs ago and LOVED it. I desperately want to take my family. (met my husband right after I got back home...married 10 yrs ago next month)...but I digress. lol

the couch to 5K is great...I started w/ 1 and 1 split times. Ran a 5K in Feb after training only 2 1/2 months. I am actually a bit heavy to run (killing my knees), so my physician told me to lose about 25 lbs b/f I run again, so I am doing the walking thing now.

When it was winter here I ran outside (GA is pretty temperate, but it was in the 30s F...near 0 C some days), I just got cold weather gear. On the treadmill, I just kept pushing the speed faster and slower.

HTH
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think you're trying to run too fast. Try a slower pace that you can keep for the necessary time, fast comes later. I did the first 8 weeks of the C25K on the treadmill using the program on my smartphone, my pace never went over 6 on the treadmill and that was my "sprint". Yeah, I'm slow, you don't have to be as slow as me. :laugh:

I thought the same thing at first, but then realized she was probably talking kilometers per hour, not miles per hour. 8.9k per hour is about 5.5mph.

If not, then... HOLY MOLY, ARE YOU FAST!!! :wink:

What they all said... I did C25K on the treadmill starting in December, and started running outside when the weather cleared.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have been doing that to but it was not running 8 miles an hour when i jogged i took it slow a shuffle til i can run longer time so cocentrate on shuffling kinda. What i did was walk for 1/2 mile then i brought it up to a slight jog for 5 mints, id do this everyday til i could jog 20 mints at a time, I was slow but like i said i didnt care of pace at first, just conditioning. I finaly did this for up to 7 months a long time to me i think. I completed a 5k in Florida with my sister this past May. It was a wonderful feeling, i didnt win of course however I ran the whole way at a pace i could sustain the whole race. I finished 3 miles in 34 minutes. I was going to then concentrate on speed. However it has gotten to be 100 degrees now so i go inside and do aerobics step. I will be back on the begging stages again sad to say however I love it and it is addicting. I used to hate to jog. lol hope it helps some and Good Luck!!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    A super easy way to get into the groove of running is by using the Podrunner interval podcasts. They are free and have a series of programs to build your stamina for what ever distance. I'm currently doing the 5K one (I started midway through since I can run 2 miles without stopping).

They come out with new ones every week so they don't go stale on you, and let you know during your workout when you should be walking/running/cooling down. It's also a good way to keep you from over training (for those of us who are impatient to get over running injuries).

Just to note, it IS techno, but the beats are perfect for a run. I am not a huge fan of techno, but if my feet are moving to a good beat, all is well.
  • tbtravels
    tbtravels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started c25k and c210k both on the treadmill for various reasons.. It worked just fine but be prepared for a transition when you do hit the pavement. Running outside is the best!!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys... :) much appreciated.

What is the main difference between treadmill running and running outside? Just curious! :)

H
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me... the biggest difference is AIR! It doesn't move on the treadmill... and even with fans going and the a/c on, I feel overheated. Outside, there's a breeze, even if it's just the one you create while running. Plus, it's natural for your pace to adjust slightly as your running... a little faster, then a little slower, whereas on the treadmill, it's completely steady. And, since you have to pay attention to your surroundings (ie, not tripping over a crack in the sidewalk or stepping into a pothole), it takes your mind off the monotony. This is especially true with trail running for me... I don't even notice when I'm running up an incline because I'm focused on where I'm putting my foot down.
  • icemaiden1964
    Options
    :smile: A good tip when you are starting out running is to make sure you don't run too fast for your level of fitness by having a chat. If you're on your own on a treadmill that might be a bit tricky but if you can sing along to some tunes or even talk outloud on your own you'll get a measure of how fast you're going. There's not set pace for a beginner, you'll all be at your own level. If you're run/walking then that's fine but make sure the running bits are done at the speed of chat as well. Good luck.