Revving up metabolism with frequent meals.

Options
Hi!
I am 5'5" 134lbs and trying to lose a few pounds. I'm working on my metabolism. My method right now is to eat small meals throughout the day and then a normal dinner. I don't want to go more than 4 hours without eating throughout the day.

Have any of you found success with this method? I am also really into cardio and plan on doing more strength training because more muscle = better metabolism is what I hear.

Comments? Thanks!

Replies

• monicahullinger
    monicahullinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great feedback :) thanks everyone!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Number of meals makes no difference to metabolism, too many only brings inconvenience to my day, and makes me constantly preoccupied with food, eating and interpreting hunger and satiety signals, so I stopped, as soon as I realized.

I'm actually lying to you. I stopped eating my evening meal because it started to be difficult to fit it in; I was already satisfied with the three other meals, but I was anxious that not eating many small meals would create all kinds of problems. I had to reassure myself that I'd be fine. Later I learnt that meal frequency and eating schedule means squat for weight management - what's important, is that you don't overeat. Any meal schedule that doesn't lead to overeating, will work.

I also stopped "trying" to manage my weight. We can't control our weight directly, but that doesn't mean we are helpless victims to the obesity surge. Weight loss/management is a single player game, and it's just about eating less, which is something we can do.

Exercise burns calories. But not that much. Make sure you don't end up eating more to "reward yourself" or reduce your daily activity because you're exhausted. Moderate exercise that you like, is good for you.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    My schedule is all F'ed up. I work with people from all over the world so there's lots of times Im on calls or VTC's during the normal meal times. I also coach youth soccer which makes regular eating a thing of the past for me. So I do tend to eat smaller more frequent meals/snacks because that is what fits my schedule.
    But I am under the same thought process that eating several times a day wont do anything to bump up the metabolism. I tend to think it's the overall caloric intake, but then again I'm not a nutritionist.
    I did find eating three well rounded meals with two to three small healthy snacks is what worked really well for me to get from nearly 250 to 180 (at one time). I think that was because it kept me from getting to hungry and over eating at any one time.
    Oh and I drank a *kitten*-ton of water. BTW, a *kitten*-ton is slightly more than a standard ton.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Smaller meals won't "increase" your metabolism.

Eat when you want to eat while staying in a calorie deficit.

Agreed. The only reason I eat 5 meals a day is because I try to eat a little protein at each one to spread it out. Eating 170g of protein all at once would leave me bloated and full for hours. Otherwise it also keeps me from snacking. But hasn't really done much for my metabolism, it still is what it is. I'm not sure you can really change it unless you use a stimulant which wouldn't be healthy.

Well, I don't eat 170 grams all at once but I do sometimes 90 grams or 100 for my whey smoothie after workout and I do it for the very benefits that you mention you seek. I don't get bloated but I am satiated and stay that way until dinner when I have a full meal including the rest of my protein for the day.

I don't snack or eat more often because the more often I eat, the more often I want to eat and have issues with overall calorie compliance. Honestly, I am never hungry all day until right before dinner. So, 2 meals per day without struggle and with easy compliance. FWIW

OP, as others have said, meal timing and frequency does nothing for your metabolism. It is irrelevant. Eat when you prefer and for exercise performance and energy. Stay within your calorie goal. End of story.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    That is a popular mythology.
    My success came from eating all my food in the evening, mostly in one large meal. Two mythbreakers right there.