Calorie intake and Fitbit reliability

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm currently having a moment of doubt of my Fitbit. I have been trying to lose weight since roughly late June, with before that point just trying to maintain. I lost 3lbs by the start of July to 182 pounds, however from that point I have only fluxulated around that weight 182-184 pounds. Unfortunately in June I didn't have a scale however my weight from about January has sat at roughly 187-189.

Annoyingly, I have been within my calories for the past three weeks/four weeks and not seen any movement. I have today decided to take my Fitbit off for a week and see if that makes a difference. I do measure all my food with scales so I know that's not where my issue lies. Has anyone else had this with their Fitbit or am I simply impatient? My mum thinks I should cut out sugar but I've been going by the reasoning a calorie is a calorie.

Height is 5' 6"

Replies

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Weigh, log, and accurately record your food. If you get into a calorie deficit and stay in it for more than 3 weeks, you'll see your weight trending down.

(You don't need a Fitbit to do that)
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Funny thing.... I just disconnected my Fitbit from this site yesterday. I am off for the summer and outside of my exercise, do not move as much as when I am working. After sitting and watching TV for a half hour, my Fitbit had clocked about 1500 steps. I've heard others make the same comments. I'm going back to entering any exercise I do manually. At least that way I know the info is "approximately" correct. I try not to eat back calories whenever possible, but the fact the Fitbit is boosting the workout calories is just annoying!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and always log exercise manually. Just feel the uncertainty of the fitbit, plus the uncertainty in MFP results in error too easily
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sanfly wrote: »

At the moment I'm to eat 1500 calories before any alteration by the Fitbit, on an average day the Fitbit will give me around 500 calorie adjustment because it says I typically burn around 2400/2500 a day if I get to 10,000 steps.
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ltkasmala wrote: »
    Funny thing.... I just disconnected my Fitbit from this site yesterday. I am off for the summer and outside of my exercise, do not move as much as when I am working. After sitting and watching TV for a half hour, my Fitbit had clocked about 1500 steps. I've heard others make the same comments. I'm going back to entering any exercise I do manually. At least that way I know the info is "approximately" correct. I try not to eat back calories whenever possible, but the fact the Fitbit is boosting the workout calories is just annoying!

I think I will also do this, just feel it mustn't be registering it correctly. I work as a waitress part-time so I think maybe it gets the high heart rate confused with stress and actual running around
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I purchased my Fitbit at the end of March. From January to March I lost 5pounds per month (15 pounds total). From March to July I've lost 3 pounds total. I'm spending the rest of July really focusing on tightening up my logging. I'm seriously considering disconnecting the Fitbit come August 1. I sat down one day to sew never got up and had several thousand steps earned afterward. I do a lot with my hands during the days so I'm thinking my Fitbit burns credits may be too much.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »

At the moment I'm to eat 1500 calories before any alteration by the Fitbit, on an average day the Fitbit will give me around 500 calorie adjustment because it says I typically burn around 2400/2500 a day if I get to 10,000 steps.

Not sure how exactly Fitbit calculates daily activity, but 10,000 walking steps is likely around 200 calories, and nowhere near 500.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »

Not sure how exactly Fitbit calculates daily activity, but 10,000 walking steps is likely around 200 calories, and nowhere near 500.

If she's set to sedentary the 500 calorie adjustment is possible. I'm set to lightly active and it takes me about 14,000 steps to get an extra 500 calories.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is about 2600 (found via tracking my food/body weight) and my fitbit regularly gives me burns of 3000+
    I would gain weight if I ate what my fitbit tells me I burn.. That being said, I still use it to track my general activity, I just don't have it connected/eat the calories it suggests.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

perfectly reasonable to me. I eat back a few hundred if im snacky it evens me out, Im alot more active though but when i was begining my fitbit seemed pretty on point after i made one adjustment. I set it so it thinks it on my main hand, But its on my other arm. Made it alot less sensitive to basic movements my arms make
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I set it so it thinks it on my main hand, But its on my other arm. Made it alot less sensitive to basic movements my arms make

I did this too from day one but still think that mine is giving false steps because of how much I move my hands during the work day.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ha, my fitbit is completely off as well! On sedentary days it gives me around 1900kcal (maintenance is around 1700, tried and tested) and on a day where I walked 19km slowly, but equally sat around airports, stations and such a lot gave me 2900. I probably was closer to 2200 that day. Don't trust the fitbit, especially not if you have a higher heartrate (it's genetic).
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ltkasmala wrote: »

There is something most definitely wrong with your FitBit. You should call their tech support.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    FB works fine for me (HR charge 2)... I however do NOT eat back any day-to-day walking/normal activity calories (cleaning the house, laundry, walking around stores, stroll in the park) or from yoga or strength training.

My experience: Just bc I might get 10,000 or 15,000 steps, doesn't mean I can eat those back. (I was doing that and my weight loss slowed to a crawl for the whole month I tested it out). I DO eat a portion of my true exercise calories (spin class, long hikes, bike rides, kayaking, etc. that I decided should last for at least 30 minutes) I think if you are morbidly obese you might be able to get away with eating normal activity, but I have about 40-60 lbs to get to an appropriate weight for my height, fwiw.

If you have your settings set as Sedentary - YES, YES, you should eat those calories back. Sedentary means you move LESS than 5000 steps a day. MFP calculates your calories needs assuming that the person doesn't move at all and is truly sedentary. So if you are walking 10-15k steps a day, no matter how those steps were achieved, you are burning more calories than you think.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so standard/generic areas where you could be missing calories in your log - as you indicate you do use a scale.

Do you weigh everything solid, even pieces of fruit, slices of bread, etc.?
    Do you account for cooking oils, condiments, beverages?
    How often do you eat food not made by you? That is, restaurants or food prepared by family, friends where you can't weigh the ingredients?
    Do you enter your own recipes, or use similar entries from the database?
    Do you log everyday?
    Do you tend to taste things while cooking, or have a bite of this & that from someone else's food?

You indicate you've compared weight change over the past 3-4 weeks. And that our access to a scale prior was limited. Do you weigh yourself at approximately the same time of day, same level of clothing? Have you started a new workout routine in the past 3-4 weeks?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-I've found my Fitbit to be accurate. As in when I first reached maintenance if I ate less than what it showed, I continued to lose weight. I have a One and Charge 2.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is fairly accurate. My deficit is set at 750/day, activity set to sedentary (which was accurate when I started actively tracking again, and I have a desk job that temporarily has me in my feet a bit more than usual right now). I get an increase of 400-800 calories per day, with 10000-15000 steps per day (I'm obese so that seems reasonable). I'm almost always about 200-250 calories in the red and I'm losing about 1 lb/week, maybe a bit more at times, once water fluctuations are smoothed away.