Weight Lifting Gloves?

Options
Hi everyone!

I've recently upped my lifting to 3x a week with a trainer and have been debating picking up some weight lifting gloves. I've got calluses all over my palms which doesn't look great and I've heard that they can improve grip? This is a big problem for me as my hands are TINY so i struggle with bigger barbells and my grip is something I'm working on.

Anyone have any experience/preference on this-are they worth using?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I find gloves make my grip worse, and are just uncomfortable. They fold and pinch in my hands and I'd rather just have callouses to be honest.

You can do exercises to increase grip strength.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to prevent callouses, gloves are an option. Gymnast grips/chalk are another option.

IF you're interested in improving your grip, there are exercises and drills that you can use.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My daughter has tiny hands and struggles for grip too without gloves.

I also like to use gloves BTW - the modern tacky grip ones certainly improve my grip.
    Until you try you won't know.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I use them for certain lifts because I get a pinch of skin under my wedding ring if I don't. They are a slight help for gripping with deads.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Try chalk alone for a while first.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I file my callouses and use liquid chalk to help with grip.

I'm contemplating wraps for things like deadlifts where my grip is the weakest link in the chain, and prevents me lifting as heavy as my legs could do, but my trainer warned me that wraps/grips/gloves just take up space in your grip and so actually leave you with LESS space!
    He keeps meaning to bring is super-thin wraps for me to try, but we've not got round to it yet. I'm doing ok with chalk at the moment.
  • BeardedTxCowboy
    BeardedTxCowboy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The glove debate. I use to use them but do not anymore. I like my grip better with out them. Id try a moderately priced glove first and see how it feels.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i never use them, i like to feel the bar. you can use chalk it really really helps with grip.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're getting unmanageable calluses from lifting - especially the deadlift - something's wrong with how you grip the bar. On the deadlift most people get the bar too high in the palm, and it slides slightly as the plates leave the platform, causing massive calluses.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can just lift heavier with gloves, my hands start to cramp if I don't use gloves...
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I vote chalk. I use wrist wraps on some lifts but don't like gloves or straps. Gloves feel weird and I am not as "connected" to the lift. Straps are kind of a handicap and I'd just rather work on grip strength.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    If you're getting unmanageable calluses from lifting - especially the deadlift - something's wrong with how you grip the bar. On the deadlift most people get the bar too high in the palm, and it slides slightly as the plates leave the platform, causing massive calluses.

This. I used to get bad calluses. Then I read up on grip and realized I was holding the bar wrong.

You should be hooking the bar with your fingers rather than palms when pulling up. You may need to improve the strength in your hands for this.

When pressing up it is more like you are just resting the bar between your thumb and pointer finger, then resting the rest of the fingers on top. No death grip needed.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to use gloves. I feel like while they prevented callouses from forming they made gripping harder. I say if you get callouses, file them down as they will naturally form If you are going to be deadlifting and doing other strength training exercises (but mostly deadlifting). Also, utilize chalk and practice the use of hook grip early on as this will help to prevent muscular imbalance once you begin lifting more weight. If you are looking for gloves still, I hear there is a pair that crossfitters like to use that is form fitting to the hand. I don't know the brand but it's probably available on rogue's website.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Lots of prior threads on this topic. Lots of different opinions. No "right" answer.

It's all a matter of personal choice. Buy a pair that fits properly and give them a try. If you like them and they help, continue to use them. If not, toss them in the bin and use them for other purposes down the line.

BTW, if they don't fit "right," don't blame the gloves if they don't work for you. They should fit snugly on the hand and shouldn't bunch under the palm.

I use a pair of REI cliimbing clows w/nylon backing, reinforced leather palms and cut off fingers, which work well for me. In fact, I have 3 pairs of these gloves which I use for lifting, rowing and for germ protection at the gym.

However, what will work for you may differ. If you're not sure what'll work for you, try on a lot of different gloves before you finally decide to buy a pair.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of gloves, always have been. I've never noticed that it has hindered me in any way. My favorites are just the Nike ones I pick up at Marshalls or TJ Maxx. I believe they come in s/m and m/l. Less than $10. It is a preference as usually there is only a couple of us wearing them in Kettlebell or weightlifting class.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am a 4'11" female and I have always used weight lifting gloves. They help me with grip and callouses. I concur with Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or any sporting goods store. If you get them in girly colors (pink) they usually come in ladies small.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I like chalk for grip. I have calluses too and don't care. It is what it is. I had a pair of real nice expensive leather lifting gloves and they sucked, no grip at all. I had a pair of rubber neoprene gloves that cost me like two bucks, they were awesome but only lasted about two weeks as I lift daily. I just use my bare hands or chalk now. I also like to feel the bar on my hand. If I'm sweating too much I have to reverse grip but make sure I keep switching my grip on every other lift so I don't lose symmetry.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have the tacky gloves from Walmart. They help my grip on rows and deadlifts, but also cushion my hand where I have some sensitive ligaments.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love my gloves. They definitely help with my grip and I don't have calluses, thank god. lol! I work in a bank, so having calluses is a no go for me. :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Under Armour Flux lifting gloves incorporate tacky material similar to what are used in WR gloves and can be found for a pretty decent price, albeit sometimes in odd colors. They also come in men's and women's