Salsa

Options
JenMarie826
JenMarie826 Posts: 143
I know salsa is healthy and I plan on trying to make it tomorrow... I have tomatoes and onions... Do I add salt or should I use garlic salt? Can someone help me :)

Replies

• jclesen
    jclesen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can never miss with garlic. And it's good for you. And don't forget the cilantro.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, garlic (fresh if you have it), chopped onion, cilantro (chopped finely - just the leaves - no stems). You can also put corn and black beans in it. Have fun!
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else found that when they eat salsa in large quantities, the calorie count isnt too bad but the sodium count is like through the roof?

I had like a jug of salsa the other day, and it was like 5000 mgs of sodium
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dont forget the jalapenos...mmm...fresh salsa!!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Add a spicy pepper for the metabolism boosting effects! (And because it's yummy!)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Also a little cumin is great in it. You will also need some sort of acid....example vinegar or lime juice.
  • ellihope
    ellihope Posts: 1
    Options
    Fresh garlic is definitly the best option. You may want to add a little bit of salt, as it brings out flavours, just use it sparingly. And throw in as many other vegetables as you want! :) Even mango is good in salsa.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Yes to everything that everyone has mentioned but go easy on the salt.
  • JenMarie826
    JenMarie826 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all have been very helpful! :) Can't wait to see how my salsa turns out!! :)
  • patrick323
    patrick323 Posts: 43
    Options
    Tomatoes (i prefer stewed, fresh if possible), whatever kind of hot pepper you like. I use a variety of kinds. Fresh garlic of COURSE...throw your garlic salt out the window!!!! Onoin (i like light on the onoin) Cilantro. Lime juice. I find that a little red-wine vinegar really adds a lot. I also prefer it completely blended.