gotta another one for you

Options
Hi again , I know i have a lot of question and you guys are great help answering them . so i got one more if noone minds

I've started MFP on sunday and started working out for the first time in like 4 years , I am so sore all over and my muscles just won't let up. does any one have any ideas or tell me what i'm doing wrong?
why my muscles keep hurting .
HELP!!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Your muscles aren't used to it! Try yoga. :D
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The way you build muscle is by micro tears on your muscle tissue, this is the reason why your muscles ache, in reality is a little more complex then that but that's pretty much what happens.
    So when you workout hard especially after a extended period with no exercise you'll feel these aches and pains in your muscles, it is important that you take enough time to rest to give the muscle tissue time to regenerate and grow stronger before you workout again. You don't need to be totally ache free but a good rule of thumb for anyone starting out would be to exercise every other day or so.

Also and very important, don't forget to stretch.

Hope it helps.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Don't push too hard. Muscles respond badly if you push too hard too fast after years of disuse. I've been doing serious cardio since May but delved back into upper body strength training two weeks ago. It took me over a week to be sufficiently pain-free to work my triceps again because I overdid it on the first day.
  • katieeweiss
    katieeweiss Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Um, that's a good thing! LOL. That means you're doing it right. However, I would suggest starting slower, keep hydrated, have some protein after workouts (to rebuild your muscles) and if you need a rest day - take it! Good luck!

Oh and make sure to STRETCH before and especially after workouts!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching and drinking a lot of water. If you are exercising the most important part is the stretching afterwards and even later on do some more stretching......

Remember to take a rest day

I cannot see your diary, but make sure you are getting enough protein. As you start to work out your body will need a great deal more of protein to repair
  • joejoe21
    joejoe21 Posts: 22
    Options
    when i started at the gym i had that same problem for about 1 week or so. You should try not to push your self to hard at first let your body build up to it . in the mean time use ice packs they help wonders not only with pain but with inflamation in the muscles . If your going hard at the gym try 2 days gym 1 day off it helps
  • bf41382
    bf41382 Posts: 51
    Options
    Probably cause you're using them again! :smile: Try adding some glutamine to your diet, it should help with some of the soreness. Hope that helps your muscles a little!

This is what I use. I add it to a shake or just take a spoonful and wash it down with water.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2177
  • budd_girl
    budd_girl Posts: 13
    Options
    I haven't been pushing it , I've been jogging for aabout 30 mins a day 3 days and pilates on the off days. i've been drinking any where from 8 - 12 glasses of water a day. should i stop working out until my muscles heal ?
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Dont give up just go slower.. I hadn't worked out after my baby who is 21 months old today and not worked out much in the last three years really. I started back in April and some classes were intense so i ached for weeks, but i used this oil to help with my sore muscles. Got me through the hump until i got use to the excercises. Just go slow and buidl up to your work out. You may want to work out only 15 mins 3 times a week for 2 weeks, then go to 20mins, after 4 weeks, then 30 mins from there on..
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    10-12 glasses of water a day is great if you are not doing any exercise. I would increase that to even more. During your work out you should be drinking at least 1 glass for every 15 minutes (30mins= one bottle)- that would be in addition to your other water during the day! :-)