Doing everything right but not losing the weight

Options
So it's been almost 3 weeks I've been getting back on track. Never in my life have I exercised as much as I am now and as hard. I just started running either 2 miles a day or walking 5 miles. EVERY SINGLE DAY!! On top of that I am counting all my calories and not eating any more than 1500 usually 1300 a day. But my start weight was 176, but now I weighed myself today and I'm 176.6.. what is going on

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is too early to get worried, but how are you measuring your food (are you using a scale for solid food)? Are you choosing generic/homemade database entries?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    What is your NET calories at the end of the day? That's the difference of what you consume minus what you burn from exercise. If it's too low, that's not good. Also if you just started exercising hard, it's NOT unusual to GAIN WEIGHT in the beginning due to glycogen and water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You're coming up on three weeks. Sometimes it takes a while, most people say three weeks actually. If you are logging/weighing/measuring everything you eat/drink, staying at goal, you will lose. A lot lose water at the beginning but you are mercilessly working out, so your muscles are probably repairing with water.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    It could be a lot of thing? Are you weighing your food, or just guessing at the portion sizes? Are you double checking the entries you are using to make sure they are accurate? Where are you in your cycle? You could be retaining water due to ovulation or TOM. Are you sore from the new exercise? You could be retaining water to repair muscles.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    My first guess would be water retention. You're making your muscles work harder, which is good, and they'll retain water to help prevent injury and build themselves up. From livestrong.com:
    Both weight bearing and even endurance exercise may cause tiny micro tears in your muscle fibers. The more strenuous the workout, the more trauma inflicted. Your amazing body begins to repair these tears right away and the end result are stronger muscles. One way your body defends itself against further injury after this micro trauma occurs is to surround the afflicted area with fluid.

My second guess would be portion creep. Working out can make you hungry! And if you're not carefully measuring your food using a scale, it's super easy to eat more than you think you do.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Measure your portion sizes, do not eyeball them. Most people around here prefer to use a food scale to measure (including me) because a food scale is the most accurate AND once you've gotten the hang of it that's the easiest thing to do.

But if you don't have a food scale, AT LEAST use measuring cups and spoons to measure. Eyeballs are very poor measuring tools.
  • thatgirlmojo
    thatgirlmojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. Yes I am using a food scale and I am also measuring it with cups that I also weigh as well.
  • thatgirlmojo
    thatgirlmojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What is your NET calories at the end of the day? That's the difference of what you consume minus what you burn from exercise. If it's too low, that's not good. Also if you just started exercising hard, it's NOT unusual to GAIN WEIGHT in the beginning due to glycogen and water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So I normally fluctuate from 1300-1400 calories a day and burn 400 or more calories a day with exercise. The app says I should be eating 1800 a day but I just don't think that is what I should do