Weight Lifting Gloves?

Options
2»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've used gloves since I started lifting, well I guess I can say now for most lifts I used to use gloves, I now use liquid chalk for 99% of my lifting and only use my grippas for the heaviest deads. It's taken around a month to get used to not using the gloves, I started with just my warm up sets but once I did I've found my grip is actually better. Did 100 deads today with just the chalk and although I have a couple of tiny callouses I didn't cause any damage. I do still have gloves though, if only because I don't like doing press ups/burpees/ball slams outside without them.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    no gloves unless its very very cold like below freezing in my gym area. The glove adds diameter to the bar and larger bars are harder to grip.

Correct grip of the bar means just a ridge of callus around the base of the fingers which can easily be filed down if it gets too large.

You do need to grip the bar even while pushing.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who has smaller hands and find that gloves make the whole situation worse. But it's really going to be trial and error for you.

I'm in the small hands club too. And I'm just starting to get hook grip. My thumbs feel the pressure, but i feel like it minimizes callouses vs mixed grip! Literally as soon as I started doing sets of mixed today, I got some baby rips in the hand facing underhand!

But yeah, it's subjective. I say if you have small hands, work on the grip strength. And even straps like Versagrips seem to work better than gloves because you can adjust them accordingly and don't have to worry about sizing as much as gloves. Ps: if you buy gloves, don't buy harbingers. The worst!!