Pilates for toning

Options
Hey guys, i just wanted some advice - i really dont enjoy running and exercises similar to that (my ears hurt, or my stomach or knees hurt or my nose runs or my hair irritates me, blah blah blah - always something) but i really enjoy following pilates and yoga classes on youtube in the evenings at home, in my pjs... i am not overweight but need to tone my body, i have saddle bags and cellulite on my bum and all the usual unflattering bodily things. I am going to bali and want to feel confident in a bikini... do you think over a few months just doing pilates type exercises will help with that or do i need to put more effort into doing other forms of exercise?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A few months of eating in a calorie deficit will enable you to lose fat to look more defined and toned. Doing resistance training will help retain your muscle... Or if you are just unhappy with those areas and don't want to lose weight, look in to recomp...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Pilates and yoga will not do much for your physique on their own. They are great...stretching exercises. If you want to look more defined, and you have room to lose a little fat, just except physique changes to come from your calorie deficit. For more dramatic changes...resistance training, not yoga.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Pilates and yoga will not do much for your physique on their own. They are great...stretching exercises. If you want to look more defined, and you have room to lose a little fat, just except physique changes to come from your calorie deficit. For more dramatic changes...resistance training, not yoga.

I think that weight training is more efficient (more progress in less time) than at home Pilates.

But Pilates is not just stretching.......Pilates is resistance training. That's like saying push ups aren't resistance training. Yes, a Pilates studio with a reformer and Cadillac machines are going to be more demanding, but you can make slow changes with Pilates at home.

OP - do the exercise you enjoy.

Yeah yeah I knew someone say that. It's been awhile since I have done pilates.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Yoga can be very difficult and very good for strengthening muscles/"toning" if you are at the point to see your muscles. People here are very set on heavy weight training and that is fine, but if that isn't what you want to do then yoga can be very beneficial to your body and your mind..:)
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can completely tone up through Pilates and yoga. I do yoga twice a week and Pilates once, and I am completely amazed at how "hard" my arms and legs have become, along with my abs. Go for it!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Yes, you can completely tone up through Pilates and yoga. I do yoga twice a week and Pilates once, and I am completely amazed at how "hard" my arms and legs have become, along with my abs. Go for it!

Getting "hard" and having abs is from losing fat and being lean...
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Getting "hard" and having abs is from losing fat and being lean... [/quote]

For me, I think it's the combination of eating well and establishing a consistent exercise routine. I am amazed at the difference since committing in January. MFP has really worked for me!

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day. There's two sides, and they're both right.

SOME pilates/yoga is resistance/strength training
    SOME pilates/yoga is fancy breathing and stretching with very little benefit for strength and weight loss.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do pilates a couple of times a week (reformer rather than mat work classes) and found it extremely useful for strengthening my core, range of motion and body alignment. If you enjoy it and want to continue doing this style of exercise It would probably be worthwhile finding a decent instructor and attending some classes to ensure your body positioning and breathing technique is correct as you won't learn these skills simply by watching you-tube video's.

But I don't find it particularly helpful for developing muscle definition if that is your desired result. If you don't fancy doing resistance training or lifting heavy, Barre style exercise classes are great for developing shapely legs as the various body weight exercises target and activate the various leg muscles.

In event, enjoy Bali and don't stress about having a "perfect" bikini body. Anything goes seems to be motto of holiday makers there.
  • hazels1973
    hazels1973 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too enjoy Pilates and yoga but in order to tone you need to do weight or resistance training. I've 3 weeks ago changed my cardio workouts to all body workouts with 4kg weights 45-60 mins long 3 times a week. I've noticed dramatic change with most cellulite on legs going, abs definition especially obliques and noticeable 1" off each leg. I'm hungrier so have had to increase calories but add more protein and good fats not more carbs, and not put on any weight. I'm going to change workouts and go to next weight (5kg) after my hols
  • jrolls79
    jrolls79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you like Pilates you would probably like Barre. Barre will tone you up quick especially if you don't have much weight to lose as you said. Pure Barre has over 200 locations. Surely one is near you.
  • fionadg
    fionadg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love pilates but do it as an added extra to strength training and cardio. To make pilates more strenuous I suggest using resistance bands but of course you have to workout in the kitchen and get the nutrition right first! Bali, lucky you...
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates (see my name-lol) There is quite a bit of resistance training on the reformer. I found a local place that also uses a jump board into the reformer regime, which is adds cardio the typical reformer exercises. I love it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great and will give you an awesome core. It's a workout and also feels so good. Depending what you do it's more strenuous or not. There are some pretty tough Pilates videos on YouTube...enjoy