Too many sugars

Options
Well i am going to try this great new smoothie recipe tomorrow morning. however, the sugars in it are at about 22 grams! that seems like a lot of what i am supposed to have in the whole day. is that normal for a fruit smoothie..?

Replies

• dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fruit has a lot of fructose/sugar. What's in it? I like to make Whey shakes - not so much sugar and lots of protein. I use the MRM Whey Powder - Rich Vanilla flavor - has only 1 sugar and is sweetened with stevia. I mix it up with ice and left over cold coffee - makes like a frappiccino!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I make our smoothies with just frozen fruit, milk (I use soy for me and regular for my husband) and a little splenda if my husbands wants it sweeter. Don't know what recipe you have, is the sugar coming from the fruit alone?
  • maxamilliond
    Options
    well in it there is bluberries, strawberries, banana, and milk and juice
  • harm_ny
    harm_ny Posts: 21
    Options
    Er, would taking out the juice cut out some sugar? Maybe add another fruit instead?
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lots of smoothies are really really high in sugar, many have more sugar than an average can of cola. Granted, if made with natural ingredients, at least the sugar is not refined and processed. But I think one should be careful with even natural sugars. I try to balance out the sugar intake with some protein, like having nuts and raisins at the same time. I definitely went over on sugar today myself (I have a weakness for cool raisins after a hot bike ride), not all that happy about it, but I am resolved to get it back in line tomorrow. Good health to ya!
  • maxamilliond
    Options
    well i looked to see what would happen if i took out the juice, and it cut out 11 grams of the sugars, so im thinking that was a big part of the problem!!