Couch to 5k. New runner here

Options
Hey guys! Im starting the couch to 5k program amd I was wondering how you all track it on here? Also any tips you can share would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can actually link the C25K to MFP and once you complete a session the information will automatically appear in MFP. The only tip that I can give you is to take it easy and try to take a day rest in between the sessions to avoid injuries. Also, do you have good running shoes? That can also make a big difference. Good luck and have fun.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    agree with the take it easy; also there is no harm is repeating a week, if you feel its going too fast for you
  • sarajcahill
    sarajcahill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Im so excited to start! Its so hot here in Oklahoma right now so I'm starting on my treadmill. I'm going to be getting some new shoes on my next pay day. Any brands you recommend?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For new shoes, find yourself a running store. I thought I'd buy a certain brand, but after trying on five different pairs and having the salesman watch me jog outside in them to analyze my gait, I chose another brand instead. I will tell you, having a pair of shoes dedicated to my Couch to 5K training has made running so much more pleasurable.

I didn't know you could sync the Couch to 5K app to MFP! I've been manually entering "20 minutes running" and "10 minutes walking"! Hahaha! The things you learn in the forums!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Im so excited to start! Its so hot here in Oklahoma right now so I'm starting on my treadmill. I'm going to be getting some new shoes on my next pay day. Any brands you recommend?

Oklahoma here, too. FWIW, I run in the half hour between dawn and sunrise. I can see fine, but the sun can't see me! If you're close to a Fleet Feet, I really like the shoes they recommended for me.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nope. Every company has good shoes (and bad shoes). You will get recommendations - ignore them. The trick is to find the right shoe for you. Go to a real running store (not a place like Dicks or Walmart) and ask for advice. Tell them your budget and they will work with you to find the right shoe for your feet.

Good luck.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Nope. Every company has good shoes (and bad shoes). You'l get recommendations - ignore them. The trick is to find the right shoe for you. Go to a real running store (not a place like Dicks or Walmart) and ask for advice. Tell them your budget and they will work with you to find the right shoe for your feet.

Good luck.

Even within a brand line, For example, the Brooks Adrenaline line. The 13/14 were great for me... the 15s weren't bad, but the 16s were absolutely a no go. Now I'm in NB 980s and Altra Lone Peak 3s

Go to fleet Feet or one of the other running shoe stores and get fitted. It's worth it. IF I was 2 hours from a fleet feet. I'd still go at least once every other year.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started. There are lots of threads on here about c25k, do I encourage you browse them for more tips and motivation, especially the longer (several pages) threads.
  • KiraChristiansen
    KiraChristiansen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the MapMyWalk app in conjunction with the C25K app to track the calories & know how far/fast I went. (It syncs with MFP, but I'm not fully convinced the calories are accurate)
  • sarajcahill
    Options
    Thank you for all the great tips guys! You are awesome! I feel confident in starting my new running journey! My goal is to run a 5k this fall!!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Morning versus night

In Florida the heat plus humidity are awful. I also get up in the mornings to run before getting ready for work.

While we live out in the country with no real threats like muggers, my husband is still more comfortable with me running at dawn as opposed to after dark. I'm not worried about coyotes and there are no roaming dogs currently.

It is so much cooler and it actually seems quieter than 9 or 10 o'clock at night.

I get inundated with floating spider webs at night. I do not get those in the morning.

The good part of night is I can see any traffic well in advance due to headlights. During the day the cars can sneak over the hills. (Yes, we have some hills in Florida.)

• sarajcahill
    Options
    I think my best bet for running outside would be in the evenings. I'm up by 4am at the latest to get ready before my little one gets up at 5 then its getting her ready for the day and getting her to daycare by 6:30. She goes to bed at 8 and I could run after that :) I do prefer the outdoors to running on the treadmill.
  • blazinskillzz
    blazinskillzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! I just started couch to 5k too!
  • sarajcahill
    Options
    I will be starting this evening! Thanks everyone!!
  • Ab889299
    Ab889299 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just told my husband last night that I wanted to do this.
    Good Luck!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing week 7 tonight! I really wasn't sure I'd make it this far, but I can run 2 miles now! Don't forget a good support bra. Brand doesn't matter very much (mine's C9 from Target) as long as it's sturdy.
    Running can be a truly miserable experience, so I find it helpful to have my goals firmly in mind before I start. Both the little goals like "run for 90 seconds" and the big goals like "be the healthiest me I can."
    Good luck, you can do it!
  • sarajcahill
    Options
    Thank you! I cant wait to get out there tonight!!
  • maximo727
    maximo727 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Asics or Saucony, those are very comfortable shoes.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make a good upbeat playlist (or whatever your preference is.) And then make sure it actually works before you get outside to start your run.
  • sarajcahill
    Options
    So I don't have the actual c25k app so I cant track it the easy way lol How do I manually track it on here?