Where do you do your long runs?

Options
I am training for a marathon in October and my long-runs are becoming really long. I have a very nice hilly loop in my neighborhood that is about 3 miles long. I have been running that loop so far in my training but I am thinking that running the same loop 4 or 5 times will get really boring, no matter how pretty it is.

I am wondering whether I should venture out to the city and create a long-run route for myself, but it also scares me a bit because it will mean I will be quite a distance away from home during my run and will have to figure out how to go back if something goes wrong. Also, I do not know how to figure out whether a route I choose will be good traffic and safety-wise. I have a Garmin GPS watch, so maybe I should just run 6 miles one way and then turn around on Saturday? What do you do?

Replies

• winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I typically s tick to running/walking loops in my neighborhood. Boring, yes. I am going to venture out of my comfort zone this weekend with a friend and run along the sidewalks in town. Should be interesting. our local park offers a paved portion, and a nature trail for this as well that I use while my kids are at soccer practice.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    There is a bike path here in Irvine that's many miles long - I rack up the miles there.

This version of Google Maps might be helpful:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It's not that intuitive - read through the docs at the "Usage Instructions" link and you'll be all set.

Enjoy runs and good luck with the marathon!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I do like the "out and back" strategy.

but sometimes out and back from home does get boring, so i find one of the local trails (most are paved around here, it seems) and "out and back" from the easiest access point.
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use the river near my home. There is a nice loop and a foot bridge that gives me a great variety.
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and there are a few different loops I take. For some reason I HATE having to look at the same thing twice so I don't run x miles out then turn around and go back. Just bring a cell phone. I know a few people who live around my loop so if I'm 5 miles out with my kids and a storm hits I could run there. Good luck!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    do a google search for a running group in your area. or check with a specialty running store such as The Running Room. they could give you an idea or maybe you could join them and do your long runs in a group. The Running Room offers marathon training classes. then you don't have to worry about your safety as much when you're far from home running a trail
  • JHunter75
    JHunter75 Posts: 14
    Options
    If you can, map a one-way running route. When you get to the end, have a friend, family member, non-stalker-type person pick you up and drive you home. I have found that these kinds of runs are far more enjoyable than out-and-back runs or loops around your neighborhood.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    I use the log your run app on my phone to check out trails that other people have run or logged. Then I carry my phone with me and it will show me where I need to go. Other good thing about it is I can let my fiance know before hand where I will be at on that day. Good luck
  • ErikaJanem
    ErikaJanem Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you can always check with your cities visting center to see if the have specified runners trails. maybe running along with others will help you.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/?
    I really like this website. Just put in your location and other people's recorded running paths come up. Other runners have already mapped the run and have commented on it, so you have an idea of what to expect. It shows the distance and everything. You can always drive it to get a better idea of the area too.
    Good luck in your race!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere and there is a long dirt road outside of town that runs along the river and is about 8 miles each direction from where the dirt road starts to the end so it's 16 miles if you go to the end and back. I don't run that far, yet, but I do bike that road sometimes.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    www.mapmyrun.com

i use this to map my route the day before i do my long run. i live in the country so my runs are on the country back roads. But i like to map my course so i can do my mileage and in case anything would happen, my family knows what roads to find me
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper.com to map out routes, typically loops, sometimes zig-zagging though side streets and alley ways to get more mileage.
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I change my trip up w/3 different routes. If you let your mind distract you while you run..it really does not matter where you are going!! lol ALWAYS RUN WITH SOMEONE IF YOU CAN..stay safe!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper.com to map out routes, typically loops, sometimes zig-zagging though side streets and alley ways to get more mileage.

another strategy i use. runkeeper is awesome. both the app and the site :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For my shorter runs I stick to the neighborhoods and take various loops to change it up a bit. For my longer runs there's a bike/walking trail that stretches for miles and miles... so I run to that for my 7+ mile runs and then do X miles out then turn around and run home.

Like everyone else mentioned, check out various options on mapmyrun.com for some variety.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback and ideas. I am looking at some of the sites that you suggested right now. I will create a route for myself.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I take long walks. We go to the C & O Canal to walk. Any place like that is great. There are mile markers so you can keep track of how far you have gone, and there are other people around for safety reasons.
  • paulclifforduk
    Options
    I'm quite lucky living in Yorkshire in the UK. I have access to some great off road running using the trans pennine trail but also use road loops. I try to vary my runs quite a bit as it helps to keep things interesting. I also take my phone with me when running and make sure people know where I am going before I set off.

Completed my first 18 mile run last weekend in prep for my first marathon in October. Aiming for a max of 22 miles in training before the race.

Still quite new to MFP and it would be great to receive a friend request from anybody who is interested in sharing some motivation.

Happy running folks!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a loop person. I took careful steps in planning my routes for my long runs. Typically they were out & back sections, with single loop parts to add up the mileage. Sometimes it also helps to drive your route & check out the side of the road to see if you will have enough room to run there & how uneven it is.