Working out twice a day, under calories - no weight loss

Options
I'm 4"10 and 9st 6lbs.
At my heaviest I was 10st 7lb.
At my lightest I was 8st 10lb, which was a difficult weight to maintain.

I'm currently undergoing IVF treatment. One of the side effects is weight gain and in fairness, I ate quite a lot of flapjacks in the first few weeks to make me feel better, because it's an awful process to go through.

I stopped that about 3 weeks ago. Starting working out twice a day (instead of once) and I usually walk 8K steps per day too.

My weight has fluctuated between 9st 6lb to 9st 3lb which might not seem a lot but I have frequently been under my calorie goal of 1400 per day. I have put on weight again this morning and am back up to my start weight of 9st 6lb. I'm tired and hungry.

I've not got a good relationship with my body at the moment as it is due to infertility and IVF - and now I can't shift these few extra lbs despite working out and cutting back.

I know I ought to give it a bit more time but staying at a weight is one thing - weight going up despite good efforts is quite another.

My husband and I had a weekend away just gone and did have a few drinks. But other than that, I've stuck to the plan.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't exhaust yourself with exercise. Weight loss is just about eating less than you burn. Weight fluctuates naturally. Don't take that as calorie counting isn't working. But you have to do it properly. How long have you been on a 1400 calorie goal? How often are you eating/drinking more than 1400 calories, and by how much? Are you weighing your food and logging the exact amounts after double checking entries for errors?
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Exercising too much can put a lot of stress on your body causing water retention. I would ease up on the exercising to once a day for 45 minutes or less. Eat properly and measure everything you are consuming.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You'll be retaining water from the exercise, booze and possibly IVF, give yourself a break!
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want. I am undergoing ivf too. Gained over 5 kg per cycle even with iui. Just had the surgery on Friday and struggling to cope with the gain. I am trying to eat healthy at the same time I am eating a sweet if I feel like it because going through ivf is bad enough n I can't do sports which is my main go to stuff when feeling down. Hope I get clearance for at least some Pilates exercises after the transfer but lets see.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Till your hormones balance out, don't worry about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    An an incredibly fit and slim friend gained 15 lbs from ivf. And then another 30 when it finally worked.

Give yourself a break.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think its quiet difficult though. just got asked from a neighbor if I am pregnant n its just water weight from the treatment. The good thing that from'past experience I know the weight will go away. Especially for long term ttc its not just a month. for me its now two years on hormones n they make the body quiet upset.

I can relate to you wanting to loose weight fast but I think that if you are too hard on yourself you might make it difficult on your body (deprive yourself from nutrition'if you dont eat well n do a lot of sport). See if you can take an approach of a less aggressive loss. Such as eating 100 under your maintenance n not eating exercise calories.
    I have noticed that maybe due to pcos or the fertility treatment my metabolism is slowing down so maybe you can watch than and see at which level you can maintain before you decrease your intake.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Firstly, stop putting so much pressure on yourself. IVF is extremely stressful. Stress isn't good for weight loss or TTC. The medication causes weight gain. It's normal. Just keep going with exercise and and make sure you have a calorie deficit. Stick with it but don't stress over it. Weight will go away. Good luck with your IVF....hoping firstly, that it a success!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can cause water retention.