Gray Hair

Options
BattleRopes
BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
For those that've it, did the color or texture change 1st or did they both occur, at once?

I am, a 37 year old Caucasian; going through premature menopause & notice that, since my menopausal phase began; my hair's becoming coarse but not gray!

My Mother's 59 years old & only has, a few; gray color strands but her hair's always been, what she calls a "rats nest" (coarse texture) & mine's always been silky/straight enough, that I didn't always own; a comb, brush and/or pick! I'd just run my fingers through it, when it wasn't to my knees/permed; so obviously I didn't get that via her but my Father's been deceased since he was 25 years old, so I'm unable to compare; what he'd be currently!

Replies

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I had to have a complete hysterectomy in my 20's...my hair became curly! It's been 20 years and I love my curls! However, it is odd to be the only person in my entire family (I am youngest of 6) in the several generations that we have photos of to have ringlets!
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My hair was pin straight until I hit puberty, then it became wavy with coarse hairs here and there. I started getting white hairs when I was 29 and the coarse ones are white (and they are a B!*** to color, omg!)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My hair is perfect in every way.

< see.

Thanks mom.
    Thanks dad.
    Thanks God.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Grey and proud, I'll die before I dye!
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just shave it off, I wouldn't even know what I would look like with a full head of hair. I imagine something like a young George Clooney
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    My hair is turning grey. Mostly one spot in the front, I look like a male Rogue.
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for your responses; even the derailments lol! :DB)
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I didn't care if it turned gray. I just didn't want it turning loose. So far, so good even though it's thinner than it was. Nice head of mostly gray hair now there are a few dark brown stragglers lingering around. It never really changed texture. I don't have the coarse gray hair that most folks seem to get. It's fairly fine & as nearly as soft as it was when it was brown. I started getting a few sneaky gray hairs even in high school, but it didn't really start to change until I hit about 37-38 or somewhere along about the time our second kid happened.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Mine has been super thick and super coarse my whole life, or at least since I was 11-12 and can remember such things. It is mostly straight but holds curl easily. I started seeing stray grey hairs at 16 and 17 years old, but now at 40, I really just have smallish patches at my temples and then a salt-pepper thing happening along the nape of my neck, which I color with semi-permanent and don't mind. That's been at about the same level since I was 27-30 and hasn't increased since then, which surprises me. My friends had zero greys at that age and now are coming to me in panic.

I remember being quite envious of my friends in our teens with their silky straight locks, mine was so rough and coarse by comparison. I grew it super long back then and it looked nice but I didn't want boys to touch it (like when making out) because I knew how rough it was. haha
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My temples and lower half of my beard are fully white. The rest of my hair was a dark blond when I was younger, now greying rapidly.