Is gaining water weight on your period a thing?

Options
Anyone else noticed the scale moving up during their period? I've been following my diet and exercise as usual yet I still noticed I've gained a little bit of weight, so I'm thinking could it be period related? Water?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's worrying until you realise it goes back down afterwards and realise you have actually lost weight :)
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yup! Sometimes I gain up to 5 lb. Its not a big deal. It goes away.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this study, you should check it out. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3154522/

Study confirms water weight gain during both menstruation and ovulation. It's something I really struggle with. I feel like there are only two brief windows a month where I can see my weight loss.
  • Eva_M97
    Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this study, you should check it out. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3154522/

Study confirms water weight gain during both menstruation and ovulation. It's something I really struggle with. I feel like there are only two brief windows a month where I can see my weight loss.

Oh yeah it's quite depressing but good to acknowledge ! Now thinking back this all definitely explains some ups and downs
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I hate that time of the month lol, i gained couple of pounds but it soon came back off when it was finished or almost finished. I never worry about it, i still weigh myself but i dont log anything till its finished :)
  • annaclose123
    annaclose123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly yes! NHS states you can gain 2-10 pound the week before bleeding, on average, most women gain around 5 pounds, or if dieting, weight loss can stand still for the week. It goes as quickly as it comes though, and should start to disapear by the time you start bleeding. The only perament weight gain from periods is when you give in to cravings if you get any, other then that, it should drop again quickly
  • Eva_M97
    Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honestly yes! NHS states you can gain 2-10 pound the week before bleeding, on average, most women gain around 5 pounds, or if dieting, weight loss can stand still for the week. It goes as quickly as it comes though, and should start to disapear by the time you start bleeding. The only perament weight gain from periods is when you give in to cravings if you get any, other then that, it should drop again quickly

For me it seems to happen during bleeding?
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yup
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't even weigh myself during this time. I knowI gain six pounds each time, I ignore it and it goes away after a few days.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is. If you use something like trendweight.com you can still track your weight and know what you really weigh during TOM. https://trendweight.com/u/d3de78258b8b42/ This is my report so you can see how it works. I weigh myself daily but I look at my trend rather than the daily number.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options

If you are really struggling with that I would urge you to check out trendweight.com. It really helped me. :smile:
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Eva_M97 wrote: »

For me it seems to happen during bleeding?

Yes! Me too. Start & During for 4 days at least!