Does anybody else find that eating too clean prevents them from losing weight?

Options
For some reason, when I completely eliminate added sugars I have a harder time losing weight even when the calories are the same. In fact, it seems I can eat a little bit more when I consume some sugar and still lose weight. My theory is that my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode when I'm only eating things found in there whole state. Maybe it creates a certain stress in the body. The general rule I've made for myself is that when I eat sweets, they have to be homemade. This might make a difference. If I start eating baked goods from Wal-Mart, forget it - weight loss stalls. Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Define "too clean". What is that? You aren't in starvation mode, and your body doesn't have the ability to think it's in starvation mode from eating "too clean".
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No, eating "clean", whatever you might mean by that, doesn't impact anything in regard to loss. If you are not losing over time, you are eating more than you think. Then it's time to tighten up the weighing, measuring and logging.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    zyprexa17 wrote: »
    zyprexa17 wrote: »
    I don't mean starvation in the physical sense. I think the body reacts to your mental state. If I eat foods I don't truly enjoy simply because they are "healthy" my body doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me.

For weight management, your body cannot differentiate between foods you like and foods you don't like, or "healthy" versus "unhealthy." The only thing that determines whether you lose, gain or maintain your body weight is the number calories consumed, regardless of their source. :)

From experience, I disagree.

There is also quite a bit of interesting research regarding calories and how your body responds to them. An interesting one is "The poor, misunderstood calorie" by William Lagakos. A calorie is not simply a calorie. Everybody has a different metabolism and as a result will use up that calorie at a different rate.

False. If Vehicle A goes 10km on a litre of gas and Vehicle B goes 5km on a litre of gas, they are both still consuming 1 litre of gas. Vehicle B's inefficient use of gas will not magically change 1 litre to 2 litres.

The same principle applies to calories. If John and Jane have a slow and fast metabolism (respectively), a 135 calorie banana, slice of beef, or even chips, is going to contribute more weight gain to John. His requirement for fewer calories does not change the caloric value of food.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Funny, I've been stuck for two years close to my goal weight. Same two pounds over and over. I'm always hungry when I go to bed but the last two nights I've had a special K protein aka candy bar before I went to bed and the the scale moved half a pound down two days in a row! It never does that. Probably a coincidence but hmm. I'm saving 500 calories for after 8:00 pm and it hasn't hurt anyway. Maybe you need the carbs for some bodily function that lets you lose some weight.
  • zyprexa17
    zyprexa17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Funny, I've been stuck for two years close to my goal weight. Same two pounds over and over. I'm always hungry when I go to bed but the last two nights I've had a special K protein aka candy bar before I went to bed and the the scale moved half a pound down two days in a row! It never does that. Probably a coincidence but hmm. I'm saving 500 calories for after 8:00 pm and it hasn't hurt anyway. Maybe you need the carbs for some bodily function that lets you lose some weight.

I've had this happen in the past as well. Stuck at the same weight for months, even a couple years at one point. Then, I go out, eat a huge meal consisting of a hamburger, fries, and milkshake and them bam - I lose 5 pounds in a matter of days.