A thread for the curvy fashionistas!

Options
MidModJenn
MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
Starting a thread for those of us who are fashion-obsessed and want to look great while we're getting fit! Post your go-to brands, websites, and stores for finding awesome plus-sized clothes, sales, pix of your favorite outfits!

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Torrid for shirts, jeans and jeggings, and maybe some swimsuits and bras. Lane Bryant for work pants and underwear. Modcloth.com has a good plus size selection, but expensive.
  • MidModJenn
    Options
    As a start: I'm Jenn, 46, work in a semi-creative corporate job. I've sort of made a name for myself by dressing a teeny bit different from others in my office, and am always looking for pieces that can help me bridge the gap between professional/corporate and casual/funky. My go-to brands tend to be:

- Alfani (at Macys) for my pants - these are only pants I've found that are women's petite sized and don't have to be hemmed!
    - Eloquii and Universal Standard - oh my god, the best clothing sites ever. Probably half of my work clothes are from these two sites now. Once I eventually size out of these two brands, I'm going to miss them so much.
    - Stitch Fix - I've found a few good things through them... very happy they do plus size now!

A few pix attached:
    - cape blazer and vintage bag at Philly Fashion Week
    - a wacky vintage coat I got at a rockabilly convention a few years ago
    - my favorite outfit from this past winter: one-shoulder sweater from Universal Standard

Hope to see more of you out there!

• devash1762
    devash1762 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I don't know if I qualify as curvy given I have a rectangular figure, but I have wide shoulders, 40D chest and hips/shoulders similar. I love boho fashion, some classic and not really into trends unless the trend happens to fall into a catagory I just happen to like. I am in my 50s but look 10 years younger, but even with that, I am not into dressing trying to look 20, not my thing. There are so many things I love but I just give it a second thought if it falls into the "trying to hard to look" younger than I am."

I love long skirts, straight or flowy, cowboy boots, riding boots, thin sweaters, nothing bulky. I love layers but at 206 pounds I have to be careful to not over load...lol. I like Modili, Zullily and a few others. Expensive items are an investment, such as a wool skirt, leather boots, a coat etc. I buy what I call disposable clothes like tee shirts since they don't last over many washings plus I refuse to pay $40-50 for an item I am pretty sure I will get an oil stain on them.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy my post and I would love to post more in the future.

Dev
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    two photos are good, the autumn is a tad loud for my tastes. The jumper one is my fav at the moment!
  • MidModJenn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone! Putting all my replies in one thread to save space...
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    two photos are good, the autumn is a tad loud for my tastes. The jumper one is my fav at the moment!
    The fall coat is definitely loud, it grabs attention every time I wear it! No being shy when I pull that out of the closet... LOL
    Jenn, I love your hair. You're adorable!
    Wow, thank you! You're so sweet!!!!
    devash1762 wrote: »
    I like Modili, Zullily and a few others.
    Dev, what do you find on Zulily? Are there certain brands? :) I've bought shoes there but have never had the guts to buy clothes because they're not returnable...
    km8907 wrote: »
    Torrid for shirts, jeans and jeggings, and maybe some swimsuits and bras. Lane Bryant for work pants and underwear. Modcloth.com has a good plus size selection, but expensive.
    I didn't know modcloth.com did plus sizes!!!! w00t w00t!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yep: Macy's and Eloquii. Just discovered Eloquii and love it!

Love your look! Very glamorous. Really like the Universal Standard sweater.
  • MidModJenn
    Options
    Really like the Universal Standard sweater.

Thanks! No lie, I love it so much I bought another in a smaller size so I could keep wearing it as I lose weight. LOL My favorite piece of clothing! <3

(And I love your profile pic! What a sweet doggie face!!!!)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am still definitely curvy though no longer plus at most stores...anyway, I love this thread and could definitely relate -- both to your style, Jenn, and to missing some plus stores/brands after sizing out of them. For sure!

I bought this dress recently on Amazon and it is honestly pretty low quality but the price matches, at least...it's just too freaking cute though. SO many compliments when I wear it. Comes in many sizes, runs small of course since it's el cheapo, but it goes up to 4X. For reference I'm generally size 10-12 or L and got XL. Fits like a dream!

https://www.amazon.com/Floral-Vintage-Dresses-Sleeve-Rockabilly/dp/B01M8QCWUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1499478206&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=swans+print+dress+babyonline
  • MidModJenn
    Options
    OMG that dress is fantastic!!!! *drool* Amazing find (and the PRICE)!!!!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm not plus-sized, but I am an overweight curvy girl. I just wanted to second the curvy fit Alfani pants at Macy's. If you have a smaller waist and fuller hips/thighs/booty, THESE. are. THE. pants. FOR. you! I can't recommend them enough! Thanks for starting this thread @MidModJenn. I'm excited to see what others have to share!
  • MidModJenn
    Options
    Can't believe I forgot to share this at the beginning: BEST jeans I have found in plus sizes are the ones by Melissa McCarthy... and just discovered the jeans by Simply Vera Wang for Kohl's and I'm OBSESSED. I just bought the capris... if you're short like me, rolling down the wide cuff makes them the perfect full length. They're cut well, soft, and just the right amount of stretch. LOVE!!!!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I found it! Thanks for the info!
  • MidModJenn
    Options
    Hey fashionistas - in case you hadn't heard - today (Saturday 7/29) is National Lipstick Day... and MAC Cosmetics is giving away free full-size lipsticks at their counters. w00t w00t! Heading to the mall as soon as it opens!