Benadryl and weight gain

Options
I couldn't find a post related to this so I wanted to share in case it helps anyone else.

I gained about 20 pounds over the last 6 months and couldn't figure out why. I moved to a top floor walk up and had to walk an extra 3 blocks every day at work. I was eating way less fast food and cooking at home more. I knew something was wrong, so I went to the doctor and everything else was fine.

I read something online about benadryl causing weight gain, so I decided to switch to Claritin D. It's been a week and I've lost 4.5 pounds. I just wanted to let y'all know in case someone else is having a similar problem.

Replies

• zyprexa17
    zyprexa17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have read that it causes bloating. I just didn't realize that it could be that severe.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have severe allergies and take Benadryl several times a week. I've lost 45 pounds.

Side effects do not include weight gain. They do include "loss of appetite" and nausea. http://www.rxlist.com/benadryl-side-effects-drug-center.htm
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I take Benadryl a lot and I'm also always bloated. I don't THINK they're related.
  • zyprexa17
    zyprexa17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not everyone reacts to drugs the same way. Some may gain wt on something. Some may lose. Some have no adverse reactions.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nope. I take Benadryl everyday, sometimes in extremely high doses. If anything, it actually decreases my appetite and I lose weight during a bad reaction (and that is in combo with steroids).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Benadryl is a sedative, in addition to helping with allergies, it's in many OTC sleep medications. If you're taking it during the day, it could make you tired and fatigued, causing you to be less active and/or make your workouts less effective.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Benadryl just makes me go crazy, but it does help with my bug/wasp allergies.

I am not even safe to leave the house on my own, never mind drive or use sharp implements (no kitchen duties @elphie754 :)). And yes, I flop about all sleepy- think 60+yo rag cat.

I have to save it for when I really need it and that is just the small dose.

Changes in appetite, bloating, weight gain, never experienced any of those, but again I can't take it on a consistent basis.

Should add I am small so most drugs have a exaggerated effect on me.

Cheers, h.
  • nro80
    nro80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed weight gain of a few pounds if I take Benadryl
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Antihistamines in general are pretty dehydrating. I take three kinds a day and drink like a fish. I’m sure if it’s not a constant thing you take, it could really mess with water weight.
  • Countandsubtract
    Countandsubtract Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not everyone reacts to drugs the same way. Some may gain wt on something. Some may lose. Some have no adverse reactions.
    I firmly agree.

causing you to be less active and/or make your workouts less effective.

I'm pretty sure at least one formulation of diphenhydramine (or whatever) has sucralose, which interferes with your ability to be satisfied by lesser sweets (ex. natural sugars in vegetables, and even cane sugar.) That might be indirectly causing you to gain weight.

On the topic of dehydration, I will note that my overeating was frequently tied to dehydration.

@chambersh6856
    @zyprexa17
    @middlehaitch