Macros or Calories?

I find if I hit my macros, my calories are way under and if I hit my calorie goal, some of my macros are over. What is more important? Yesterday, I hit my macros but my calories were only at 1450 when my goal to lose 2 lbs a week is 1700.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Are you looking at your macros by gram or percentage? If you're hitting your macros then your calories should be pretty close, so you're either using inaccurate entries or tracking macros differently than what most people mean.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you're hitting all three macros exactly, you should be at your calorie goal
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Are you looking at your macros by gram or percentage? If you're hitting your macros then your calories should be pretty close, so you're either using inaccurate entries or tracking macros differently than what most people mean.

Percentage. I guess I shouldn't say exactly. The only way I come close to where my macros are set is by eating less.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    The percentage on the pie chart shows your macro balance for what you've eaten so far today.

It sounds like the foods you consume early in the day have the percentage balance you want but your later foods have, say, more carbs and less protein by percentage than you are aiming toward. What you would do to correct that is to look for foods that have, using that same example, fewer carbs and more protein to bring your percentage back in line.

ETA: But, as stated above and below, calories are what matter for weight loss.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    If your primary goal is to lose weight your calorie goal should take priority. Your macros are for nutrient balance. While that's certainly important don't let it make you so stressed out that you get discouraged. Keep an eye on your macros amd do the best you can with them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

Percentage. I guess I shouldn't say exactly. The only way I come close to where my macros are set is by eating less.

Calories are what matter for weight loss. Hit your number, and try to hit your fat and protein goals (by grams).
  • owilliams75
    owilliams75 Posts: 3 Member
    Calories are king. You can lose weight as long as you're expending more calories than you're taking in whether the calories come from carbs fat or protein. I agree with trying to stay close to the percentage recommended but I pay attention to calories