Best Olive oil brands

Options
Joetf12
Joetf12 Posts: 7 Member
Did a quick search, but nothing came up, mostly about calorie and nutritional content.

What are the healthiest and tastiest to buy? I've been using the store brand, and I'm assuming that's not the best one.

Let me know your favorite and best tasting brands!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When you are eating healthy you don't get extra points for eating "healthiest".

Cold pressed has a stronger taste than regular olive oil. They have different uses.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Don't know about healthiest, pretty sure they're similar, but in terms of taste, there's many evoo's that aren't exactly virgin. But buy oils in a dark bottle or tin so it doesn't spoil. I actually buy mine from Italy because I'm a *kitten* snob. The California Olive Ranch is pretty good though if you're in the US. Kirkland actually has good evoo also!!
  • monica_delarosa
    monica_delarosa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's California Estate that is cold pressed and unfiltered.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    cold pressed for dressing things and whatnot...or low heat applications

refined for higher heat applications.

Calories are the same...nutrition overall is pretty much the same...the difference is the application you would use it for.

I get whatever it is they have at Costco because I get almost everything I eat at Costco...
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I like getting Colavita .. not sure if it's legit but it's what I buy
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks like the Trader Joe's but we find it a little mild for our tastes. We're Colavita all the way. It's got great peppery finish.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Don't know about healthiest, pretty sure they're similar, but in terms of taste, there's many evoo's that aren't exactly virgin. But buy oils in a dark bottle or tin so it doesn't spoil. I actually buy mine from Italy because I'm a *kitten* snob. The California Olive Ranch is pretty good though if you're in the US. Kirkland actually has good evoo also!!

California Olive Ranch is my go-to brand which is also pretty available in local stores. I see another poster mentioned Trader Joes has a California OO also - I'll have to check that out (I'm not a regular TJ shopper).

Besides being a decent OO, COR satisfies me for actually being olive oil. I've got a daughter with severe peanut allergy, and need to ensure the oil I'm using is really what it says it is and not adulterated with other oils. There are a bazillion reports available (check Google) on "olive oil fraud" that include some of the well known brands from overseas. I always check for country of origin, and if not US, I just don't buy any longer, unless I somehow know the product is OK. US at least has a semi-working inspection/verification system.

I've done the "refrigerator test" on COR and a bunch of other common EVOO brands and California does get cloudy as expected. I know this isn't a rigorous test as a good lab would do, or completely reliable, but no other common brand got cloudy (notice I'm not using brand names, but you'd know them).
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I read something a few years ago that in the U.S. there are many counterfeit olive oils and at the time Kirkland was testing as high quality and legit oil. So I've been buying that ever since. I haven't looked into it recently though.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    I read something a few years ago that in the U.S. there are many counterfeit olive oils and at the time Kirkland was testing as high quality and legit oil. So I've been buying that ever since. I haven't looked into it recently though.

The International Olive Oil Council, which is established by the United Nations has questioned the validity of the findings of the UC Davis olive oil study that hit the press so broadly. The UC-Davis research did not use the standardized methods for testing olive oils and overestimated the levels of contamination according to the IOC. Our supermarket shelves in the US are not as rife with fake olive oils as the press would have you believe.

From IOC Chemistry expert group: "...The UC Davis report claims that cheap refined oil was added to the oils; however, all the parameters (stigmastadienes and sterol composition) that detect the addition of this type of oil were within the limits. Consequently, they cannot conclude that refined oils were added."

If you want to read more from the IOC on this go to their web site http://www.internationaloliveoil.org and search 'Davis'.
  • msDaprice
    msDaprice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a Colavita fan. I use Colavita evoo anywhere taste really matters. I also have less expensive Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil on hand for high heat cooking or baking.
  • Joetf12
    Options
    So I don't use too much olive oil for tastings, salad dressings etc. Mostly for cooking.

Can I buy the Colavita or California olive ranch brands, and use them for both tasting and cooking purposes?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    I use colavita for everything. The other oil I have on hand is expeller-pressed canola oil which I use mostly for things like Asian stir fries and other places where olive oil would taste too heavy.
  • Joetf12
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is Colavita a really strong taste? I'm looking for something mild, mainly for cooking. Even with salads, I like Olive Oil but not with a super strong olive-esque taste, just your run of the mill oil & vinegar taste. I might just stick with Trader Joe's if so.

Also - what is the difference between virgin and extra-virgin in terms of taste?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    California Olive Ranch and Kasandrinos. Kasandrinos also makes a avocado and olive mix so it can be used to cook as well.